Timing Belt Help

CharlieG

I have a 93 ls400 and am midway in replacing my first timing belt and water pump. I just replaced my water pump and lined up my timing marks. Thing is that I want to test it before I put everything else back together. So what essentials are needed to start the car (i.e. what parts, plugs, etc.)?

Not sure I understand the issue, Charles. Once you have the new belt on, you will want to rotate the crankshaft several times to confirm that the timing marks on the cams and crankshaft are all aligned. Remember it takes two revs of the crank to make one rev of the cams. Other than that, you just need to put the distributor caps/rotors/wires back on in the proper order and bolt everything back together.

Are you using the lexls tutorial site for 90-94 LS400's ? -> http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Yes I am following that tutorial. My issue is that I don't want to bolt everything back together and then find out that I messed my timing up and then have to put everything back together. I wanted to know of the the essentials that are needed to run the car. I know I need my battery back on, my distributors and rotors and wires back on, and my ignition coil back on. I just wanted to see if there were any other parts that needed to be put back on to have the car start and run for like 2 seconds to make sure I have the timing right.

ok. That is why you want to rotate the crank several times and make sure both cams match their marks on the block while the crank is pointing to TDC. If that checks out, then the valve timing is golden. You do not have to actually start the engine to ensure that the timing is correct. Other than that, just make sure you properly seal and torque the water pump, put all electrical connectors back in place, connect hoses and you should be good.