Please Help- Are These Estimated Charges A Rip Off?

cdrice03

Hi,

I'm a newly divorcee whose husband typically took care of the cars, but now it's on me. I bought an RX 330 in April from a used car dealer. To be safe and because I had several dash lights to come on, I took it to a Lexus Dealer to have them give it a Diagnostic Test. They determined that the car was in fairly good shape, but noted the following items needed to be addressed sometime in the future.

• Rear Brakes @ 2MM of Pad - Recommend to replace (est. cost $289.99- labor & parts)
  • Front differential has minor weep fluid leak - will monitor
  • Power steering rack and pinion is starting to leak right
  • Side boot split flueied leaking from seal - (est cost for this IF it's not watched? - $1498 for Differential. $1798 Rack?
  • Brake stop lamp switch failed - (est. cost $170.95)

Even though the differential thing scared me, I was told that they would monitor that and not to worry. The biggest concerns were the stop lamp switch and the brake pads. Financially I had to do things gradually, so I got the stop lamp fixed first - and now its time for the 85,000 check (September). Took it in Monday - here's the deal now.

• Shift gear bulb is out - (est. cost $86.75)
  • Parking lights front (both) and left day time running lamp out (est. cost $79.95
  • Rear brakes a @ 2mm still (est cost NOW $299.95)
  • Water pump is leaking from the seal - recommended placing the timing belt and drive bels with the water pump - (est. cost $875)

I declined all of this work for now, but I want to get this taken care of. My questions: Are these prices unreasonable? Can a Toyota dealer or trusted mechanic do any of this for less? Does rear brakes mean brake pads or is it much more serious?.

Sorry for the long post.

Hi Cdrice and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

Your situation is repeated hundreds of times every day all over the country. Unfortunately, taking the RX in for a look-over before you bought it is the best way to purchase any pre-owned car. A reputable used car dealer should have no problem with this.

The rear brakes are usually just the brake pads. If the pads have worn to far they could damage the brake rotors, (which the pads rub against). It doesn't sound like that is the situation here.

Yes a trusted, CERTIFIED, technician well familiar with Lexus and Toyota products can do a good job for you and usually at quite a savings. Be sure you ask for references and write out what your history has been so far so they know exactly what their bidding on. Get several quotes.

Under penalty of the Lexus Club assasination commitee. please do not take a beatiful Lexus to a Jiffy Lube or other Zip-Zap in and out oil change place or Firestone etc. If you do, our nationwide tracking system will instantly know and your radio will play Barry Manilow all the time at full volume. LOL

Hope this is somewhat helpful,

Paul

Based on what you have told us, it sounds like your Lexus dealer is treating you fairly.

Torn boots really should be replaced before expensive damage is done.

Coolant weeping from the water pump is an indication that it, the timing belt and ancillary parts (tensioner, idlers, etc.) should be replaced soon - the normal timing belt replacement interval is 6 years or 90,000 miles and any decent mechanic will also replace the ancillary parts since failure of one of those is usually what makes a timing belt fail.

$300 for rear brake pad replacement sounds about right for a Lexus dealer. The price surely includes machining the rotors which some people will tell you is not necessary but which really should be done - it's a "penny wise, pound foolish" situation. Rear brake pads wear out more slowly than front brake pads. Mechanics sometimes "eyeball" pad thickness instead of measuring them. You might take a look at them yourself to see how thick they really are - sometimes possible without removing a wheel. I have no experience with how quickly rear brake pads last on the RX last but I know that they have lasted far longer than that on the Toyota and Lexus vehicles we have owned.

Yes, steering racks are prone to leak as they age but can often last years beyond when they first start leaking - same for differentials.

With Lexus dealer mechanic labor rates usually being well over $100/hour these days, even the simplest job can be fairly expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can't comment on all and exactly on your vehicle, but what I can say is how easy it was for me to change the pads on my Lexus SC400 and was pretty *BLEEP*ed when I realized just how easy it was, after paying some pretty high prices over the years, but in the present state of the economy every penny helps so I Googled how to on the internet and gave it a shot.

For a 1st timer, flawless job and the money I saved was ridiculous. Now, my Lex has 4 wheel disc braks where as you may have rear drums, which is a whole different animal, but as long as you don't let the pads wear to metal, you really should not need the drums cut. I do trust my Meineke mechnic, who has been in business for many years doing braks, and after doing this job with 100% success, trust me, it's not rocket science, I can tell you, he won't be seeing me there again for breaks unless I need to get my rotors resurfaced.....lol In the meantime, I will invest the saved funds for top of the line pads, which is exactly what I did....Good luck :) P.S. ABSOLUTELY AVOID JIFFY LUBE FOR ANYTHING!! SUB-PAR MECHANICS FRESH OUT OF BOCES OR RIGHT OFF THE STREET, I DON"T KNOW, BUT KNOW 2 PEOPLE WHO LOST THEIR MOTORS DUE TO LOOSE OIL PAN BOLTS FALLING OFF AFTER A VISIT.

I currently own a 2001 Lexus RX300. Due to high mileage, I plan to sell or trade in on a 2009 RX330/350 and would like some owner input from current owners of 2009 models. For example, it was not uncommon for the 2001 models to have transmission problems/failure. What are some "weaknesses" of the 2009????