2013 Rx 350 Or Rx 450H...help Me Decide!

My wonderful husband is wanting to buy me a new car. I have to choose either the Rx 350 or Rx 450 hybrid. I've driven both and see pros and cons for each. I'm planning on keeping this car at least 8 years. I currently drive a Toyota Highlander so the Rx350 felt very familiar. I'm not an aggressive driver so I have always hit the mark for fuel efficiency and I feel confident that would be the same for the Rx 350. However, the hybrid was equally comfortable. It felt heavier and was eerily quiet but the horsepower was amazing. There was nothing I didn't like other than it just felt different and I would have to get used to it. The difference is justifying the $6,000 in price. 90% of my driving is in town (work is only 6 miles away) so I know I can benefit on the fuel economy, Gas prices are only going to go up so that's a variable. Recouping my $6,000 is questionable over the long haul according to my calculations and what I've read on the Internet. So I'm torn. Should I stay with what is familiar and continue to grit my teeth every time I refuel or should I leap into new age technology and cross my fingers? I don't know what to do. Please share your thoughts. I told my husband I would make my decision within 24 hours.

I am in the same dilemma...I have had my amazing 2006 400h for almost 7 years,,,but I really like the way the 350 feels when I drive it...I often get it as a loaner. I am leaning towards getting a 2011 12 maybe even a new 13 RX350...drive them both. If gas mileage is a big deal to you...the "h" of course...not that it's not a concern for me...but the cost difference from 350 to 450h is considerable. If you plan on keeping the 450h for over five years....get it. Other than that...really, drive both. I believe that either way, you win! Congratulations...on having such a nice mate! Let us know what you get. Rey in LA

Maryan,

I just noticed that you are in CA...I am in the LA area and for this area the hybrid is PERFECT...since you get stuck in traffic, you don't get to do much "Highway" driving....I know, I should stick with the hybrid...but I miss the immediate "peel out" like feel of the 350....it really pulls you back into the seat! Rey in LA

Hybrid. They're both nice, though, aren't they. When I had my 400h, I liked the silence when cruising around in electric mode. The CVT I could give or take. Normal driving was nice, but full acceleration I didn't like the noise and the classic (and common to a lot of manufacturer's CVTs) motorboating feeling (engine revs to redline and speed of car seems to catch up).

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I made my decision and I'm going with the Rx 450 hybrid. The dealer said it will be ready for me on Friday. The next challenge will be to get used to all the technology. It's a bit overwhelming. (P. S.....I lived in Redondo Beach many years ago. That's where I met my wonderful guy.) Thanks again!

Congratulations and welcome to the green side of RXs. We were one of the first buyers of RX400hs, back in 2005 after waiting one year. We have never regretted our decision. What used to be a weekly experience of filling up the tank (BH - before hybrid), is now a once every two week experience. As Rey and others have mentioned, it's a no-brainer when you:

A. live in or near a big city and

B. will keep your vehicle for many years

Enjoy your new jewel!

It takes a long time to recoupe the price difference in gas savings between a 350 and 450. We bought our two hybrids (RX and Prius) so my wife could use the HOV lanes commuting to DC, that was really the only reason. The RX is a real nice mid-size suv and gets a reasonable 23-25 mpg (good for a 4300# vehicle with plenty of power). The Prius gets 50 mpg and it's also a nice car, just wish it came in Lexus trim.

You'll like the 450h, you'll quickly get used to the differences between a regular car and a hybrid.

I am 'gulligirls' husband that just bought her the 450,

I had her test drive both the 350 and the 450, (I did not drive either one)

and I sat in the passenger seat. The difference in the overall ride between the two was very obvious to me. The hybrid rides much smoother, (obviously because it weighs more), and of course, very quiet!

We are in Clovis, (CALIF) which is like living in an oven, so the air keeps the engine running much of the time when vehicle is not moving. Anyway, our orientation lasted 2 hours, in the heat, ran around the rest of the day, then we took off for San Fran the next day, doing 70-75 most of way. I had to fill up on the way back, and thought oh no, here goes 20 gallons,HA! it only took 12 gallons so my first tank I got 27 mpg overall, I'm very happy!

I am a very heavy footed driver, but now I find myself playing the 'keep the engine off' game!

And my wife? she loves it!

She's already sewn a cover for the center armrest in front so the leather won't get discolored from body oils!

Congrats and welcome to the hybrid club. No other manufacturer can make a better hybrid than Toyota/Lexus. You will most definitely enjoy steller reliability to go along with your fuel savings.

Dave

So I'm torn. Should I stay with what is familiar and continue to grit my teeth every time I refuel or should I leap into new age technology and cross my fingers? I don't know what to do. Please share your thoughts.

You need to decide based on your own needs/wants/priorities/etc and not on just polling random people (same as any other topic). I'd get the hybrid for the added power but my priorities don't seem to be in line with your own.

We are in Clovis, (CALIF) which is like living in an oven, so the air keeps the engine running much of the time when vehicle is not moving. Anyway, our orientation lasted 2 hours, in the heat, ran around the rest of the day, then we took off for San Fran the next day, doing 70-75 most of way. I had to fill up on the way back, and thought oh no, here goes 20 gallons,HA! it only took 12 gallons so my first tank I got 27 mpg overall, I'm very happy!

If the 450 is similar to the 400 in the A/C department, the compressor is electric, so the engine doesn't need to run to have A/C. It will, however, drain the traction battery faster, and that may cause the engine to run in order to charge the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2010 RX350 (23K miles) after having my fabulous 2006 400h. After 6 1/2 years I was getting around 24MPG overall and was happy with my beautiful hybrid...But...but after getting the RX350 a couple of times as a loaner....it's hard to explain but I really loved the drive much better. Weirdly, the motor is actually quieter! Obviously not when the electric mode is on...I know it's still early but I am getting 22 combined MPGs...so really I am only losing 2 MPGs and I have two more gallons (19.2)..so I go about as far.

My new RX350 has a nifty "Eco" gauge that lets you see if you are driving economically and it is in fact easy for me to drive keeping it in the green all of the time. I also love the "miles to go" before fueling readout. The one thing that I enjoy a lot is the "mouse" for my Nav system. I am loving that more and more now that my fingers know where to go without looking down like when I had the loaner and didn't have time to get that muscle memory.

Anyway, I got a good amount for my 400h, it had 74K miles on it...so it was an easy sell, it was gorgeous...and because I got a 2010 RX350 (Non hybrid), the price of the two was closer to one another....so I was able to just buy it outright.

I liked my 400h a lot but never really LOVED it...this car I am loving and it feels so great. It can peel out...so I have to get used to the fact that it is responsive out of the gate and careful NOT to peel out!

I do miss the CVT...but not that much. It felt mushy from a dead start. But both cars are the tops........so, 350? 450h? Like I heard someone say once on a sports show...debating whether you would want Joe DiMaggio or Ted Williams on your team....after a few debatable points...one man finally said it best and ended the debate, "Pick either and you are the winner".

Happy motoring from L.A., Rey

Rey, Consumer Reports does favor the RX450H over the RX350 by a good margin. Ownership satisfaction is much better than average for the RX450h and just better than average for the RX350.

post-6874-0-40878300-1344824529_thumb.jp

RXREY - wow..you actually traded the 400h. I agree with you - the gas engine is noisier in the 400h, but it is tuned differently and the timing is different as well (read this in the service manual - something to do with achieving smoother starts with different timing due to all the starting and stopping). I don't know if this is still the case with the 450h vs the 350, as they both have different engines than the previous generation of RX. Did you test drive a 450h -as I said, the engine is different than the 400h, but it still has a CVT.

Yes, I did say "In my opinion" I love the RX350 better....I am going from personal experience not reviews...the reviews are usually from individuals that have not owned BOTH cars...like I have . I was very happy with my beautiful 400h...but ........ I do love the torque, the immediate pull of the "regular" drive train of this 350.

I am still stuck on 22mpgs but it's still less than a month old (I mean, I have only had it that long...) ...also....I have been running the air a lot...it's been a hot summer here in L.A. 2012!

The engine is so quiet on the 350, the 400h was sounding too loud to me, louder than most cars that I have owned....I do miss when the engine would shut off though...but, no regrets, I am LOVING this car and driving it around. Lemon...I did drive a new 450h..but it felt the same as my 400h...."Mushy" from a dead start. The CVT is nice but felt like it was whining too long especially up the long hill to my home...it would have a weird pulsating loud sound... ...anyway, I am glad to have had it and now I am glad to have this one. Rey

Rey, Consumer Reports rates the overall performance that is based upon many things and yes, they personally test every vehicle they rate. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion but to CR, the RX450h is quite a bit better than the RX350.

See:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/how-consumer-reports-tests-cars/index.htm

for more information about how they test vehicles.

The bottom line is that you like what you have and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Thanks, that's all that I was saying...it's like buying shoes. I feel lucky to have had both...BUT, they can test all they want, they don't have them for 7 years and live with them....but I think we might be beating this dead horse. The 350 feels more fun to drive to me...non expert consumer. I was surprised when I first got it as a loaner and felt like..."why doesn't my 400h feel this great to drive?".....I will keep this car for another three or four years and I will more than likely get another RX..."550h" , non h...whatever they have out at that time...I LOVE these RXs! I need the large space back there and th RXs have a lot of space! Happy motoring, Rey in LA

I wonder if the batteries add sustantial weight....Cant remember...But boy the power of the 400h is incredible after driving the RX300....

The RX400h is actually faster than the all-gas RX350 as well. Car & Driver clocked the 400h at 0-60 MPH in 6.6 seconds. At the time, that was faster than the Porsche Cayenne-S. Faster AND better mileage at the same time! In fact, the new GS450h, being lighter by about 300 lbs) is even faster at 0-60 in 6 seconds or less with EPA mileage ratings of 29 city and 34 highway.

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure how the 350 could feel more peppy than the hybrid. My 400h spins the tires with ease of the start, at least until traction control kicks in. 450h has even more power. The electric motors make tons of torque at 0 rpm giving the "h" much better acceleration. I think Rey must just prefer the feel of a conveentional transmission that shifts through gears as oppossed to the CVT that holds the engine at peak torque for a constant pull of power. If the Lexus powertrain programmers allowed the engine and electric motors in the 400h to make full power together, you would have 440hp and 554 lbs/ft of torque! That would make for some nice performance. It would probably kill fuel economy though.

Not more than 6 months ago, I was given a loaner RX350 to use while our RX400h recalls were being done. I drove the car at least 50 miles and couldn't wait to get back into the RX400h for one reason - low end torque. The RX350 felt a bit sluggish. Its main advantage is the lack of electric motor sound when accelerating briskly. However, I felt that the h's abundance of torque and better fuel mileage made up for the motor sound. Obviously, not everyone feels that way, but after 7 years and thousands of dollars in fuel savings, I feel we made the right choice.

I agree, have never felt the kind of torque the 400h has. Only downside is that the mileage goes down because i feel like a 15 year old with dad's car on a quiet street with nobody looking.

I bought this 2007 400h for my wife. I did a fair amount of research before making the purchase. I saw the hp rating of 268 and felt that was ample. What I thought was weird is that I could never find any real peak combined torque figures. When we test drove it I just kind of putted around and didn't really hit the pedal much. On the way home after I bought it, I gave the go pedal a nice stab to merge into traffic from an exit. I was not prepared for what happened next. The thing lunges forward with a healthy dose of torque steer I might add, and the traction control light was blinking it's !Removed! off. I was shocked, but grinning ear to ear. I've built high powered turbo 4 bangers (used to have a 650whp Eagle Talon AWD) so I'm used to big HP, but a turbo kind of sneeks up on you and hits you gradually until full boost, then WHAM! This 400h however, has gobs of torque from the jump. Very satifying and surprising! Especially for a V6.

The tinkerer in me wants to find out how to unleash the full potential of this powertrain, but I'm sure the wife wouldn't be too happy with me fiddling with her new baby!