Rx300 Oil Consumption

fernandolpa

I own a 2001 RX300 AWD, Eur specs, until now I had no problems at all except the change of the exhaust sensors and a false alarm with the transmission. It was making noises on reverse when forcing it uphill offroad but nothing was detected by dealer.

Lately I have checked the oil consumption and I found that the car is taking 1 liter (1.05 quarts or 33.81 Ounces) for 4,000 Kms (2,500 miles).

it means 250 cm3 per 1000 kms = 13.52 Ounces per 1,000 miles.

I use 100 % synthetic oil, speeding around 80 to 90 and even 100 steady on highway (even uphills), normally I cruise at 85 mph.

How do you see this consumption? I am thinking in adding SLICK 50 in the next oil change, do you think will be a good idea?

Thanks for your comments.

I agree, do not add slick 50, and put in a new PCV valve. That being said, if the car continues to use oil, I can tell you how I stopped the oil consumption on my wife's '02 Highlander, which has the same engine. The HL has over 125,000 miles, and using Mobil 1 5-30 syn was using about an eigth of and inch (on the dipstick) every 1,000 miles. At the last oil change 3,000 miles ago, I switched to Mobil 1 10-30 High Mileage Syn. The oil level has not budged from the full mark.

• 1 year later...

After changing PCV valve, consumption is now 1.05 oz every 4.000 miles, normal use. If I speed, 100 mph for 300 miles, consumption is higher.

Car has now 130.000 miles

No problems with emissions, no leaks.

Transmission is perfect, just checked in Lexus dealer.

It is the normal oil consumption?