Nakamich Radio Wiring 1999 Ls400

drivernuts

I purchased a replacement radio and when I pulled my old radio out I noticed that on my radio there were two wiring plugs, one white and one gray. On the new radio there are three plugs, one white, one gray and one blue. the white and gray plugs on the new radio are the same as the old radio. When I hooked up the new radio there was power and display but no sound. The plugs on the new and old radio are in different places. I'm thinking I'm missing something here. I don't think there is any way I can determine if this was out of an LS or GS or other model. On the face, the new radio is identical to the old radio.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I purchased a replacement radio and when I pulled my old radio out I noticed that on my radio there were two wiring plugs, one white and one gray. On the new radio there are three plugs, one white, one gray and one blue. the white and gray plugs on the new radio are the same as the old radio. When I hooked up the new radio there was power and display but no sound. The plugs on the new and old radio are in different places. I'm thinking I'm missing something here. I don't think there is any way I can determine if this was out of an LS or GS or other model. On the face, the new radio is identical to the old radio. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

This far back year wise, I'm out of my league. However. it seems like you need an adapter harness of some kind to connect the new head uniit. Can you contact the supplier you bouught the new unit from and ask them?

Paul

I should have mentioned that the new radio was reported to be out of a 98-00 Lexus. So it is identical looking to the Nakamichi I now have in my 99 LS400. It is not an aftermarket radio.

thanks for the reply.

Get the part number off the sticker on your new radio head unit and look it up on http://www.toyodiy.com to see which Lexus model it is really for.

The part number for the 1998 LS400 Nakamichi head unit is 86120-50570 according to toyodiy.com.

Post the part number if you can't figure it and and I or someone else will look it up for you.

radio.jpg Here's the pic I took of the new radio on the left and my old radio on the right. I'll have to pull the old radio this weekend to check the part number. The part number you posted is the same as on the new radio.

My virus checker flags your "photo bucket" address as a malicious website. Post the photo on this forum.

Are both your original and new radios Nakamichi?

The Nakamichi and Pioneer head units are not interchangable. The plug-ins are in different places on the back of the head units according to the photos I have of the back of my 2000 LS Nakamichi head unit and the back of a 98-00 LS Pioneer head unit.

According to the photos I have, the radio on the right is a standard 98-00 LS400 Pioneer head unit. A guy who used to be active in this forum told me in a PM that he was going to put a Nakamichi faceplate on his 98 LS400 Pioneer radio so maybe that is what your situation is.

Give me the part number from your original radio and I will check. Also maybe upload photos of the fronts of the radios.

Nevermind my prevous post. My 2000 LS400 hard copy repair manuals clearly shows that your original radio is a standard Pioneer head unit. I happen to have an electronic version of the relevent section -- see the attachment.

be-226.pdf