Us News Top 14 Luxury Sedans:

The G Man

I love how the GS350 and GS450h are given different scores for "exterior" and "interior" yet have the same rating for "performance". WTF? The only thing different between the two is under the hood!

The GS350 is given an 8.8 for exterior while the GS450h is given an 8.0 for exterior (even though they're completely identical besides the badge).

The GS350 is given an 8.0 for interior while the GS450h is given a 7.4 for interior (even thought they have the same interior!)

And to make this even more funny, the BMW 5-Series is given an 8.2 for interior... Even though we were just talking about how the new GS interior looks the same yet has better quality in another thread... How the new GS interior loses to the BMW's interior is beyond me... They clearly didn't touch the leather nor notice the 1980's gauges.

It's also interesting that the Hyundai Genesis wins the interior ranking at 8.9. I'd say that's about right, as it's the closest to the LS which is pretty much perfection. And at least they realize that the Audi interiors are the worst, them giving it a 7.2...

What screws up the "order" of this list (ie: which car is #1, #2, etc) is the fact that not all of the models were given a rating for "safety"- which for those that did have it, was a 10.0. This brings up the average which is what they use to determine which model is #1 on the list, etc. If you gave the Lexus GS's a 10.0 for safety, that would bring their overall averages up to 8.7 for the GS350 and 8.4 for the GS450h, putting them at least in the top 5 of this list... Clearly the people who published these results on the site need to go back to school! LOL

Haha... good find Paul. ^_^

and holy $H!T!!!

If you click "Read Full Review" for the GS350, it writes,

"However, some reviewers think that by trying to please everyone, the 2013 Lexus GS may end up lacking its own distinct identity. Consumer Guide writes, “It strikes a decent balance between the sporty character of the BMW 5-Series and coddling of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, but the fact that it doesn't really stand out in any one area might put the GS at a disadvantage among discerning luxury-car buyers.”

This is EXACTLY what i've been saying!!

Also notable is the fact that they gave the:

2011 GS450h an 8.7 for performance (vs the 2013 GS450h which got an 8.0)

2011 GS450h an 8.4 for exterior (vs the 2013 GS450h which got an 8.0)

2011 GS450h an 7.9 for interior (vs the 2013 GS450h which got an 7.4)

So, they admit the 2011 was a better performer, had a better exterior, and better interior than the 2013.

If you look at their rating system, they dont rate the cars themself, they use reviews from other credible third-parties. Therefore, it could be that one reviewer for the GS350 and another for the GS450h.

The catagories are not weighted evenly, if you add up the scores and take the average, it doesnt equal to the overall score.

The biggest laugh I got was the the 5 series scoring below a Hyundai. I know that the new 5 series does not perform as well as it use to be, but come on, it cannot be worst than a Hyundai :)

Yes, US News (the source) doing the ranking doesn't mean much, even if they refer to a few reputable sources of automotive information. Go directly to the automotive sources for the most useful info.

Haha i agree, these sources are pathetic. I just can't imagine publishing data (even if it was from different people) indicating two different scores for "exterior" and "interior" for cars that look identical. Didn't anyone look at the numbers and say, "Wait... how can that be?" How are we to be expected to use these results when the data has come from different sources and expectations? When doing comparison testing, the standards and requirements should be the same. How else can you compare data??

These people really do need to go back to school...

• 4 weeks later...

ya but as told that the considerations are taken from 3rd party reviews.........the 3rd party are nothing but the experts who do the trail part of the car and decide the range!!:)

• 2 weeks later...