2013 Gs450H, Any News?

Hello,

Does anyone have any news on the new GS hybrid? It due to be out in May, per the web site; but I was wondering if anyone had any 'insider' news or test reports yet?

I have a 2008 LS600hL with over 100,000 miles now and have begun the journey of looking for my next car and am thinking the GS might be it.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Hank

So far, the only news I have heard is that the new GS450h will have about the same amount of power but fuel effiency have improved almost 35%. There are a few new options such as the F-sport suspension package and the adaptive suspension.

So far, the only news I have heard is that the new GS450h will have about the same amount of power but fuel effiency have improved almost 35%. There are a few new options such as the F-sport suspension package and the adaptive suspension.

"...same amount of power but fuel efficiency improved by 35%..."

Wow, that is astounding.

Well, considering the old GS350 only gets 23 MPG combined, Lexus had no place to go but up. The new GS is suppose to have a combined gas mileage of 31 MPG, which is very good for a car that does 0-60 MPG in the mid 5s.

The GS 450 has received excellent reviews in the car mags. Its "fun-to-drive" rating has increased dramatically and I expect that the GS450h will retain much of this improvement as well. I think you will be pleased

Well, 35% better over the GS350- not the outgoing GS450h. The 2013 GS450h is much less of a performer than the outgoing GS450h.

Well, 35% better over the GS350- not the outgoing GS450h. The 2013 GS450h is much less of a performer than the outgoing GS450h.

Its a 35% improvment over the 2012 GS hybrid. 2012 has a combined MPG of 23 and the 2013 is up to 31 MPG. Also, the 2012 goes from 0-60 MPH in 5.5 sec while the 2013 does it in 5.6, so they are basically the same. Those numbers are a good indication of the advanes that Lexus had made over the years in their hybrid system and weight reduction.

Ahh you're right about the mpg increase, but where did you find the road performance data from? Lexus doesn't make a 2012 GS450h, as the last GS450h sold was advertised as a 2011. Lexus did the same thing with the Rx400h, releasing the last one as a 2008 even though it was still in dealers in 2009... Lexus likes to confuse us i guess!!

Lexus' website indicates that the 07-11 GS450h (which all have identical performance) does 0-60mph in 5.2 seconds at 22/25 MPG, while claiming that the 2013 GS450h does it in 5.6 seconds at 29/34 MPG

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/GSh/2011.html

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/hybrid.html

So the 2013 GS450h's gas mileage is indeed 32% better in the city and 36% better on the highway than the 07-11 GS450h- that's not that bad! But i'm not sure how many $65,000 sports sedan buyers (those who compare the GS to the BMW 5-Series, Audi, etc) would be willing to sacrifice a half second knot to 60 (which is actually a pretty big difference) for the better fuel economy. The 07-11 GS450h is the quickest Lexus ever produced, besides the IS-F... There isn't a single other Lexus besides the GS model that has worse acceleration ability than it's outgoing model. Maybe if it was the HS, GX, LX, even the ES or RX... but they shouldn't have done this on what they call their premium "sports sedan". And from reviews i've seen for the 2013 GS, the "handling" still needs work. So pretty much, there really isn't anything that "stands out" with the new GS... I would say reliability but there's really no way to tell.

But i'm not sure how many $65,000 sports sedan buyers (those who compare the GS to the BMW 5-Series, Audi, etc) would be willing to sacrifice a half second knot to 60 (which is actually a pretty big difference) for the better fuel economy.

I would, and I think you'd be surprised how many others would as well. Why do you think they went from an I6 to a turbo 4 with engine idle shut off on the 528i? Why do you think they brought back the 6cyl 7 series and S class?

There's a big demand for cars in this price point that get good economy.

.5 seconds to 60? I bet you would never even notice the difference especially in the hybrid with all that low end torque.

And from reviews i've seen for the 2013 GS, the "handling" still needs work. So pretty much,

Actually every review I've read says the handling is a huge improvement. Still not a BMW, but very close.

cduluk, I tried to be consistant and gather all my data from Edmunds. 0-60 in 5.5 sec. is right up there with the Audi A6 and actually faster than the BMW 535i and the MB E350.

Much like you, I am not sold on these so called performance hybrids. For me, its one or the other.

cduluk, I tried to be consistant and gather all my data from Edmunds. 0-60 in 5.5 sec. is right up there with the Audi A6 and actually faster than the BMW 535i and the MB E350.

Much like you, I am not sold on these so called performance hybrids. For me, its one or the other.

Definitely- the advantage of performance hybrids is with the torque from the electric motors, and that energy should be used! I don't know if i feel comfortable calling the 2013 GS450h a performance hybrid as it doesn't really make the best of the electric motors for gaining power. Clearly Lexus is using the electric motors to save fuel, not increase power.

I'll tell you one thing, it's alot faster and handles much better than our RX400hs or RX450hs, that's for certain. Lexus is finding out that an upscale, slow, sporty hybrid does not sell well (CT200h).

The GSh is a fast car but the price is right up there with the Corvette. If I were to pick between the two, I would pick the Corvette.

The last time I check, the CT200h were selling very well, much better than the GSh.

Well, I'm basing my estimations on the number of CT200hs I see. here in San Diego. I think the Prius is faster and sells far better. The new GS gets fuel mileage that is not that much worse than that of the CT, yet is light years faster.Sales of the GS hybrid are bound to improve.

The Prius shares the engine as the CT200h but the Prius is much lighter.

Lexus had high hope for the GS line, it started out very nice as the 1st gen of GS were selling pretty well. The last gen of GS sold so poorly due to poor build quality and rattles that Lexus at one point almost discontinued it. Sales number were well behind the 5 series, A6 and E350 globally. In my opinion, I think it will take more than one generation of GS to make up for lost ground. Although I think the new GS will improve sales somewhat, it is not the home run that Lexus need to make the GS line a top contender.

Of course the GS450h is faster than the Rx400h/450h, no one's making that comparison. I've driven the 07-11 GS450h and the power is extraordinary! The electric motors do an incredible job of increasing the pickup power.

That reminds me of the Al Pacino movie in which he (being blind) and a 19 year old went to test-drive a Ferrari. The salesman refused to let the "kid" drive until Al offered him $2000, just to let the kid test-drive it.

When I was 17, a Nissan dealership salesman refused to let me drive a used 240Z, despite driving in with a new Subaru. Perhaps you were able to drive the GS because of your RX, but I wasn't so lucky, way back in the day.