1998 Ls400 Won't Start

bvgreek

Hello all. I have a 1998 LS with a starting issue. The serpentine belt tensioner pulley failed so I replaced it. It involved removing the alternator and the power steering pulley along with a plastic cover to gain access. I put it back together and now it cranks but won't start. I did not disconnect the battery when I did this job. I know.... Anyway, I smell fuel so that doesn't seem to be the problem and I pulled a spark plug and checked for spark, which it has. I have tried ether directly into the intake and still no start. I have checked all fuses both under the hood and at the floor board in the car with no bad fuses and have replaced the coolant temperature sensor which I knew was bad but had nothing to do with this repair. I'm at a bit of a loss. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Looks like you triple clutched on this post, greek. ;)

Anyway, you have spark and fuel but still no go? If the cam timing is correct and you have compression, you should have all the magic sauce to make it run. I would go back and look for a sensor connector that you forgot to put back together when you performed the work.

Its a bit strange because you don't need the serp belt nor the alternator to get the engine running.

Maybe the car is just flooded and won't start because of it. An old trick I learned years ago was to remove the fuel pump fuse and crank the car a bit. This flushes out excess fuel in the cylinders and the car might actual catch for a bit and then die from fuel starvation. Replace fuse and then give it a go.