Nebula Grey With Parchment Leather And Few Questions

FirstRX350

Hi,

1. I am getting my new 2012 AWD RX 350 and the dealer told me that, Nebula Grey with Parchment leather interior will be special order? and will take 4 months to receive? Is it true???

2. for $695 they have offered me the Paint protection films called "Road Block", is it worth getting from them or can I get it outside also? Are there any other better paint protection sheets available outside and the cost?

3. Resist All: 595$ What is it and it is worth?

4. 1795$ : Lexus Luxury Care: Any idea and is it worth it too?

5. $2275: Comprehensive Mechanical breakdown: Is it worth it too?

I may drive less than 10000 miles/ yr.

I really need your help and expert recommendations and want to have a good experience with my first Lexus.

Thank you and any early reply will be deeply appreciated.

It's all "extra dealer profit". Ask about the cost of the option to have Inuit women gum the wheel bearings so that they work with less friction. (No offense to Inuit women meant.)

hahahahaaaaaa :lol:

I couldn't have put it any better!

Hi,

1. I am getting my new 2012 AWD RX 350 and the dealer told me that, Nebula Grey with Parchment leather interior will be special order? and will take 4 months to receive? Is it true???

2. for $695 they have offered me the Paint protection films called "Road Block", is it worth getting from them or can I get it outside also? Are there any other better paint protection sheets available outside and the cost?

I really need your help and expert recommendations and want to have a good experience with my first Lexus.

The grumpy man in the Santa suit above is right. None of the products or options you list are necessary. They are simply add-ons one can purchase but will never need.

For example; The Comprehensive Mechanical Breakdown. They must think your brain dead. Remember you have a full, Bumper to Bumper warranty on you new RX350. That covers everything for 50,000 miles or 48 months. Remember, everything is covered. Including roadside assistance and free loaner car during times when your car needs service. As for availability, what I would do is go on the Internet and look at different dealers around the country and call a few. Tell them what your looking for and do they have one or how long to get one. This might give you some feeling for what is out there. The dealers may be willing to sell their RX to your dealer.

Good Luck. Let us know how you come out.

As far as the special order to get your color, it may certainly be true. Some models are still not quite back in full production after the earthquake in Japan. So there may still be some delays in getting certain color combinations.

Hi,

Ignore items 2, 3, & 4, those are 98% dealer profit, if they even bother to do the 2% work/material required.

As to 5 the dealer cost is less than $500 and there is a toyota dealer in the midwest that will sell you the same Toyota extended warranty for <$800.

I suggest you first start by finding a dealer that is NOT "this" crooked. And go into the showroom dressed in jeans, sweat shirt (dirty) and tenny-runners.

Hi,

NH...

You need to keep in mind, seriously so, that the RX350 is NOT a true AWD vehicle. More like F/awd, primarily FWD except during low speed acceleration or fair tight turns at low speed. This latter in an effort to reduce the RX from the strong tendency for plowing/understeering due to ALL of the engine torque being at the front when lateral forces are seriously in play.

For F/awd, base FWD, vehicles the best of the best would be the Honda/Acura SH-AWD.

In the price class of the RX350 I would suggest you seriously consider the Porsche Cayenne V6 base (R/awd). The Cayenne uses the same electromagnetic clutch as the 2010 and later RX350, but in this case to couple in the front drive. No plowing or understeering in marginal roadbed conditions, and yes, primarily RWD so subject to inadvertent, unintentional oversteering, but totally under the control of the driver, or in the worse case, driver reaction time.

Should you be concerned about the oversteering issue Porsche has an option that will apportion rear torque L/R-R/L automatically, in turns, just as does the SH-AWD system.

A big plus, BIG PLUS, for the Cayenne is that is DOES NOT use the horribly flawed (consider it even HAZARDOUS in your wintertime climatic conditions) design of the NipponDenso, Denso US, automatic climate control system. If you should proceed with the RX350 purchase I highly recommend you get a copy of the various, and many, system control options that the dealer can set opposite the factory default.

My guess would be given the seriousness of this matter the MDX will have these same options.

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions....

Jaswood: Did u mean Toyota dealer in midwest or the Lexus dealer? Do you know any one????

Any contact info will be greatly appreciated....

Thank you...

Hi,

Due poor clearance between the top of the tire and the suspension components rear tire chains cannot be used on the RX series. I added 1.6" rear spacers and 17X8 wheels on my '01 RX300 so I could have the safety of using rear tire chain first, initially, and only adding the front chains if/as required.

Any recommendations on the Paint protection film....Can I get it done outside and if so, what is the good one out in the market and approximate price?

Yes you can get it done outside. But again, it is not a necessary add-on! The shop that details my car every 6 months ( wax, polish, interior clean,etc, does not even recommend it as it is simply not needed. A much better use of your money is a clear protective film made by "3m" that covers the front of the hood and back of rear view mirrors that prevents rock chips, bug damage, and other road hazards from damaging the paint on these surfaces. If this dealer offers this product, don't buy it from them! There are other places that do this application and probably cheaper. I would insist on the "3m" material.

In my experience with Lexus and other Lexus owners and dealer body shops, I have not seen any paint fade or blister or deteriorate that has been properly maintained. That is, kept clean by washing, Waxing once a year and keeping free of bird, bug, and other caustic materials. These are pretty basic things for any car owner to do, and the so called paint protection isn't going to ameliorate them.

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions....

Jaswood: Did u mean Toyota dealer in midwest or the Lexus dealer? Do you know any one????

Any contact info will be greatly appreciated....

Thank you...

Lexus dealers sell the Toyota extended warranty.

Hi,

Nebula Grey is a new color for 2012, there may be a shortage of supply at this point. It seems like Nebula Grey usually come with gray or black interior, if you are more flexible with the interior color, there are a few in stock in your area.

That "Road Block" stuff is just a clear film on your front bumper and the front edge of the hood. You should be able to save $100-$200 if you find a outside shop to do it.

Resist All is a paint teflon coating I believe, Its nothing more than a expensive wax, I would skip it.

Lexus Luxury Care is a 5 year pre-paid maintenance program. At $1795, its a bit expensive. If you plan to keep the car for at lease 5 years, I would try to bargain with them, somehwere in the $1200-$1400 region sound like a good price to me.

The Lexus Comprehensive Mechanical breakdown is the same as the extended warranty. You have up to 4 years or 50000 miles to decide if you want to buy the extended warranty or not. There are a few sites on the internet that sells Lexus extended warranty for about 30% to 40% less.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help....Got my Rx 350 and it is beautiful and an excellent drive....Happy with my Decision with Lexus.

Congratulations Krishh!! Enjoy the new year with your new great choice.

Paul

• 3 months later...

I found a local independant 3M Paint Protection Film installer and he is doing my RX-350 for half of what the dealer wanted. 3M's PPF website is searchable for certified installers in your area. My guy trains dealerships in the midwest on how to install the film so I figured he knows what he is doing.