Film On Windshield While Using Wipers

nikid

Has anyone else experienced a constant film on their windshield while using wipers in the rain with the 2010 RX 350or any other Lexus model? It almost resembles a fog but I have the defogger on so I know it's not that. It's on the outside if the windshield. They have replaced the windshield and wipers but yet the problem still exists. Went to arbitration. Lost :( Don't know what else to do except sue them under the lemon law. I have brought it in 7 times for the same problem, it's visible but they say it's not a problemb/c they can't fix it. It's an obvious safety issue, especially at night when the glare of the oncoming headlights hits the film on the windshield. Please let me know if anyone has had this issue before. Thanks.

What do you use to clean the glass? Do you run the car through a carwash? You say you have the defogger on, do you leave that on all the time in the rain? I would stop doing that. Have you tried polishing the glass with a machine polisher and a glass polish?

First thing you have to come to terms with, is its just a windshield and a car. Nothing magic about the glass in the Lexus, its made by a glass manufacturer that makes glass for MANY carmakers. This is not a fault in the vehicle, or the glass, its something that is on the glass and what we need to do is figure out some way to get it off the glass. So, I would just stop taking it to the dealer...stop thinking about lawsuits and lemon laws...there's nothing they can do to help you really...and what they've already done likely wasn't neccisary. My guess is that whatever carwash you use deposits something on the glass and thats whats causing your smearing. In any event, we need to get your glass polished and cleaned.

If you want to try something you can do yourself, I would go to the grocery store and buy some "Bon-Ami" cleaner. Its a powdered cleanser. Make a paste with it, and polish it into the windshield really well with a terry type towel (don't let it run onto the paint). Do that a couple times, then clean the windshield and wipers with a automotive glass cleaner (not Windex), I would use something like Stoner's Invisible Glass), and see if that solves your problem. 99% sure it will. Then over time if it comes back you need to find out how its getting on there. If it doesn't, you'll have to likely take it to a detailer or an independent glass shop and let them machine polish the glass.

I have never had a new car, or a new windshield on a car, that didn't need to be cleaned and polished with something aggressive in order to not smear when using the wipers. That includes all brands of vehicles. The worst was our new Jeep. It was almost undrivable in the rain until I went over the windows really well with the glass polish. Now its great. If the vehicle sits outside and isn't parked under cover, it'll have to be redone periodically over time.

As SW03ES mentioned, automatic carwashes (in the final rinse) usually add some additive to help the water slide off the paint when you go through the blower. Also, the 'wax' that they add if you get that option, waxes everything, including the glass. This stuff builds up leading to poor wiper performance. If you can't handwash, or use the coin-op where you spray the car yourself, always pick the base (cheapest) wash, which 'usually' doesn't inlcude any wax or 'clear coat' protector. You will still have to worry about the rinse additive, though. I always hand wash my RX400h and have never had any problems. My wife's company car (2010 Equinox) gets the automatic car wash all the time, and her windshield was streaking tremendously, even with new wipers, till I cleaned the glass.

I hear Dawn dishwashing liquid (the plain, unscented) is great for stripping wax, or the Bon Ami process may be even better as it's slightly abrasive. I have also used a degreaser (Castrol Super Clean) on the glass with good results. You should also clean the rubber on the wipers, but I wouldn't use anything abrasive on those.

I'm surprised they gave you a new front windshield...wow.

For sure you have some type of film on the windshield. Try SW's method on the windshield itself.

As far as the wiper blades you can also take the dawn dish soap to the blades themselves or even a cottonball with some rubbing alchol to clean the blades to get it off of them.

I can not stand a streaked up windshield either... Best of luck. :cheers:

Can you do an experiment for me?

Sit in the car at night, parked in a position where you can notice the glare in front of you (park in front of a street lamp, or under whatever conditions make the foggy appearance noticeable). Then have someone else pour water onto the windshield (from the roof area) so it runs over the area right where you're looking.

If the fogginess goes away in the area of windshield WHILE the water is flowing over it, report back. Don't pour the water, wait for it to drain, and then look through... I mean to look through the area of windshield the water is flowing over WHILE it's flowing.

If the fogginess goes away, it's an indication that the outside surface of the windshield is marred, or covered in a film that can be removed (either with polish or by washing it). If it doesn't go away, either the "inside" of the glass is marred, or there is a film "within" the glass that cannot be removed. This experiment works the same when wet-sanding clear-coated paint. When you put water over the surface, the "scuffed" surface goes away and the finish looks completely clear. But if the damage is due to impurities under or within the painted surface, putting water on it won't do a damn thing...