Tow Trucks

pj8708

We are having our first real snow here in Iowa. While watching the local news, they ran a story surveying Tow Truck drivers on the most frequent type of call they receive during a snow storm. The result was that the most calls they go out on are four wheel drive vehicles. The drivers either forget to put all four wheels in gear, or they get over confident regarding their vehicles capability.

If it's your first trip out in snow this year, make sure you throw ALL 4 wheels in gear.

P.S. Same news cast: Our Governor wants to find a way to raise more revenue from people who buy fuel efficient cars since they buy less gasoline thus paying less gas tax. (I don't make this stuff up folks.)

I can see where that is true about the over confidence in snow when driving four wheel drive, I see it with the idiots when they fly past on the pass going through the sierras.

as for the government, yep, spend, spend, and tax more.

• 2 weeks later...

It was virtually a game during our frequent trips to Colorado for winter skiing over several decades to count the number of 4WD vs 2WD vehicles in the ditch. Duh! Stupid people supply soooo much entertainment (when they don't kill anyone)!

And, yes, many states are trying to make up for revenue lost from cars that use less fuel and which result in less fuel tax.

Paul, I assume you know that Iowa was one of the "barrier states" that had lower commercial truck weight limits than much of the country and that those lower limits resulted in less damage to roads. Under pressure from the trucking industry, the "barrier states" were forced by the Federal government to drop their realistic weight limits and adopt higher weight limits that resulted in vastly more road damage. Owners of commercial trucks pay only a tiny fraction in road taxes compared to the damage their vehicles do to roads. If commercial trucking companies paid the true cost of the damage their vehicles do, I suspect that far more freight would be shipped by rail.

A quick Google found a document that references those "barrier states": http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/reports/tswstudy/Vol2-Chapter2.pdf

You might guess that this is a pet peave of mine.

It was virtually a game during our frequent trips to Colorado for winter skiing over several decades to count the number of 4WD vs 2WD vehicles in the ditch. Duh! Stupid people supply soooo much entertainment (when they don't kill anyone)!

And, yes, many states are trying to make up for revenue lost from cars that use less fuel and which result in less fuel tax.

Paul, I assume you know that Iowa was one of the "barrier states" that had lower commercial truck weight limits than much of the country and that those lower limits resulted in less damage to roads. Under pressure from the trucking industry, the "barrier states" were forced by the Federal government to drop their realistic weight limits and adopt higher weight limits that resulted in vastly more road damage. Owners of commercial trucks pay only a tiny fraction in road taxes compared to the damage their vehicles do to roads. If commercial trucking companies paid the true cost of the damage their vehicles do, I suspect that far more freight would be shipped by rail.

A quick Google found a document that references those "barrier states": http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/reports/tswstudy/Vol2-Chapter2.pdf

You might guess that this is a pet peave of mine.

You never cease to amaze me. You MUST have two heads. How else can one explain the ability you have to store so much information in your brain!!!! I never heard of the "Barrier State" debate, but I can sure tell the result of not having the law anymore. As you intimated, the I80 stretch across Iowa is a flood of large "semi's" pounding the pavement hour after hour, and the concrete and asphalt just continue to crumble faster than the state coffers can afford to repair. I realize for commerce sake it would be impossible to go back to the old weight limits, but the abuser needs to pay their fair share to maintain the integrity of the highways.

I have my Michelin X-Ice snow tires on now so I'm ready for the ES350 to take on the monster snow drifts! No way. With FWD I've found that the snow tires really help get through the thick snow on the unplowed streets and helps on sleet and ice. It does NOT do well for snow drifts, drive ways plowed shut, and really icy streets if you have to stop quickly.

Happy Thanksgiving Jim to all of your loved ones.

PS: I enjoyed the chapters!

You MUST have two heads. How else can one explain the ability you have to store so much information in your brain!!!!

If only I could remember important stuff! Reasons I might remember the "barrier state" issue is that I worked for the Missouri State Highway Department during summer breaks from college ... and cousin Floyd was a civil engineer with the same Highway Department. Floyd, about to turn 94 years old, and I will likely discuss road construction for the upteenth time during our 400 mile Thanksgiving road trip.

The Blizzak snow tires go on the LS today ... have to drive like the geezer I am until Spring.

Happy Thanksgiving!