'96 Steering Wheel Refurb.

Bob helms

My steering wheel has become discolored from sweaty hands. I think the '96 was the last year that the wheel was all leather (or what ever it's covered in). Has anyone used an after market wrap or cover to refurb their steering wheel. If anyone has could you please share who made it and / or where you got it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Bob Helms

Years ago I used lace on leather steering wheel covers on a several cars. I think these covers were more common back when steering wheels were more typically hard plastic.

The most common brand I've seen over the past few years is Wheelskins. Installation is rather intensive since they lace on with "needle and thread" like the ones I used back in the 60's. Here is a list of Wheelskin products for the 93-00 LS400 I found by googling: http://www.racinglab.com/wheelskins-cover-original-lexus-011.html

1998 was the last model year where the LS400 steering wheel was all leather. A wood and leather steering wheel was optional in 1998 and made standard in 1999. I thought it was odd that when a wood wheel was made standard on the LS in Europe, an all leather wheel was an extra cost option.

• 11 months later...

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to re-cover my steering wheel. Wheelskins make nice covers but since it's a Lexus I want to put back to as close to OEM as I can, minus the crap they used the first go around. I've found several firms who can "rebuild" my wheel while they let me use one of their "loaner" wheels. Obiviously to pull that off I need to know how to remove my steering wheel and install theirs and later reverse that process. I have tried to find a blow by blow description on how to remove a 1996 LS400 steering wheel but my searching expertise hasn't been good enough to find it, if there is one on this forum. So can some one please point me to a post (with pictures) where removing the steering wheel is done? The guy who did the power antenna replacement post saved me mucho bucks, thank you for doing that! TIA for any help I can get.

Bob Helms

1996 LS400

My steering wheel has become discolored from sweaty hands. I think the '96 was the last year that the wheel was all leather (or what ever it's covered in). Has anyone used an after market wrap or cover to refurb their steering wheel. If anyone has could you please share who made it and / or where you got it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Bob Helms

Is the leather simply discolored? Or is the top coating "peeling" at all leaving the surface rough? I would highly suggest re-dying the leather. There are many, many kits available to do this. Leather is not actually "dyed", but rather "painted" with a rather rubbery paint type coating. I would suggest magic mender's kit.

What they used the first time was pretty good. You can't expect a natural product thats handled with bare hands to last for 16 years...

Lexus quit making the pretty good leather wheel in 1998, and replaced it with a wheel with wood surfaces where most people put their sweaty hands, the wood seems to last longer. Mine has reached a point where it's peeling and discoloring, and yes after 16 years and 135K miles it has naturally gotten progressively worse.

Bob Helms

Is the leather simply discolored? Or is the top coating "peeling" at all leaving the surface rough? I would highly suggest re-dying the leather. There are many, many kits available to do this. Leather is not actually "dyed", but rather "painted" with a rather rubbery paint type coating. I would suggest magic mender's kit.

Can you please elaborate on this "Magic Menders Kit"? Thanks.