New Member And Possibly New Rx300 Owner

kingnba6

how is everybody doing?

well i am looking to buy a lesux rx300. most likely it will be the first generation. i am choosing lexis over toyota simply because lexus is more luxury. i am not going to buy it anytime soon more like around april or 2012 lol. i am currently still deciding between this rx300 or a acura mdx. i am going to buy both used. my current cars are a 2004 toyota rav4 and a 2009 toyota highlander. both of those cars were bought new. i have owned other cars such as toyota matrix 4wd, hyundai tibiroun and a toyota solara xle v6. i really dont like small cars, im more of the suv person.

my main concerns is that i dont find rx300s with low miles like less than 90,000. all the ones i have seen are around from 120-150k. so how long does a rx300 last? what are the main concerns and problems i should look for when i go to look at the car. any major must do's. i was reading that most people have to fix the a/c and also replace the ignition coil.

for looks, do the first gens come with the solar tinted glass? does anybody have it here? if so did you guys also tint your front windows? and how? plain black tint or solar?

i think those were my main questions. so if you can please help. thanks

how is everybody doing?

well i am looking to buy a lesux rx300. most likely it will be the first generation. i am choosing lexis over toyota simply because lexus is more luxury. i am not going to buy it anytime soon more like around april or 2012 lol. i am currently still deciding between this rx300 or a acura mdx. i am going to buy both used. my current cars are a 2004 toyota rav4 and a 2009 toyota highlander. both of those cars were bought new. i have owned other cars such as toyota matrix 4wd, hyundai tibiroun and a toyota solara xle v6. i really dont like small cars, im more of the suv person.

my main concerns is that i dont find rx300s with low miles like less than 90,000. all the ones i have seen are around from 120-150k. so how long does a rx300 last? what are the main concerns and problems i should look for when i go to look at the car. any major must do's. i was reading that most people have to fix the a/c and also replace the ignition coil.

for looks, do the first gens come with the solar tinted glass? does anybody have it here? if so did you guys also tint your front windows? and how? plain black tint or solar?

i think those were my main questions. so if you can please help. thanks

The RX300 series is highly subject to "premature" transaxle failures, especially the '99 and somewhat less so the '00. As of the RX330 DBW was adopted to "protect the drive train" and thus the issue of premature transaxle failures was abated. But that resulted in somewhat "weird" transaxle operation, occassional 1-2 second engine hesitation/delay upon re-acceleration events, that continues to this very day. Those 1-2 second engine response delays (now prevalent throughout the automotive market) to gas pedal depression can easily prove to be HAZARDOUS. If you "need" AWD functionality then ignore the pre-2010 RX versions. The earlier RX series used the relatively simple Trac braking technique to aportion engine torque to the rear diff'l but only once wheelspin/slip was detected at the primary, FRONT, driven wheels.

The early MDX used the VTM-4 "awd" system and was therefore also subject to premature transaxle failures. A switch was made to the SH-AWD system, a STELLER approach to adapting base FWD vehicles to "AWD" in my opinion. But the owners of these newer MDX's are also reporting premature transaxle failures but seemingly in not as large numbers.

Were I you I would look more closely at the new lighter weigh (no transfer case) Cayenne, "base", V6, Cayenne.

wow thanks for the info. it makes me not want either now. but when you say premature what do you mean like how many miles?

i think a cayenne is out of my league. maybe ill look into get a loaded highlander or something like that.

I owned a 99 Rx300 for 12 years...Was a great vehicle except for the transmission failing...at 100k miles. Mine was AWD...I suggest looking for a 2002, or 2003 for best reliability and following 15k miles transmission fluid changes or once a year.

thanks for the insight lenore.

most rx300s i am finding have over 100k miles. most have around 120-150. should i buy them? or save up some more money and get a better model/year or different car

wow thanks for the info. it makes me not want either now. but when you say premature what do you mean like how many miles?

i think a cayenne is out of my league. maybe ill look into get a loaded highlander or something like that.

My '01 RX300, supposedly AWD (NOT!) now has ~90,000 miles, based on the posts I have read here and there on the internet I expected to see a failure between 70-100000 miles. The 99 models taht failed appear to have done so with 50-70,000 miles. My ATF first appeared dirty and smelled burned at only 40,000 miles, and again close to 80,000 miles.

Methinks the base Cayenne is priced pretty close to the equal of the MDX.

My wife had a 2000 RX300 AWD from August 2003 until January 2007. Worst vehicle I've ever had in more than 41 years of driving. Required more than $9,000 of warranty work from the local Lexus dealership, including entire transmission replacement at less than 48,000 miles. I sold it at just under 130,000 miles with full disclosure of its service history in late January 2007 and was delighted to kick it out of our stable. Overpriced, underpowered, "pretend" AWD, and many other factors will always cause me to view the early RX300s as crapmobiles. I wouldn't have one now if you gave it to me....

The RX330 and RX350 are better vehicles. Lexus learned from their early mistakes (without admitting that they made many mistakes, which they indeed did). My wife's current 2004 RX330 AWD is pushing 118,000 miles right now, and has been a relatively trouble-free vehicle needing essentially nothing but routine maintenance and a handful of minor recalls. I still change the transmission fluid in this vehicle every 30,000 miles myself, however, due to the stigma created by her 2000 RX300. But it's an easy 20-minute job that costs me about $20 for Toyota Type T-IV fluid, so I won't complain. Her RX330 has recently developed a sporadic transmission upshift stutter between 20 and 30 mph. Doesn't occur often, but when it does, it is annoying and she feels threatened if it happens when she is attempting to merge into traffic. Can't blame her for that. I may have fixed this issue by detaching the battery cables for a couple of hours last weekend and allowing the vehicle's computers to reset. She has not reported any transmission stutter since then. Time will tell....

If you're looking for the best small AWD SUV bang-for-the-buck, get a Subaru Outback. If you want the best all-around AWD SUV for a bit more money, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee. As a former Grand Cherokee owner, I truly miss the indestructable, low-maintenance requirements that our Jeeps always had. I would trade my wife's RX330 for a well-cared-for Grand Cherokee in a heartbeat....

I would agree that the early Jeeps were good, reliable, wintertime use vehicles, our '92 is still doing stellar work on a cattle and wheat ranch in north central MT. But my recommendations STOP with the acquisition of the Jeep product line by Chryler. IMMHO chrysler sat out right to cheapen the product and thereby reap HUGE profits due to Jeeps past history and reputation.

That's why the '92 was the last Jeep we were ever to buy after being a strong fan of the marque for so many years.

Our Grand Cherokees were all great performers, and they were also Chrysler products. Our 1996 Grand Cherokee V8 AWD was especially beloved. Sure wish we had it back in like-new condition. It blows away any RX in terms of comfort, performance, smoothness, and capability. Granted, it was a bit thirsty on gas, but that's a trade-off I'll easily take again....

so what everybody is saying is that i should stay away? well i will take your advice and stay away. thanks everybody for the help! im still going to stay on the forum just to get more insight on other cars and mods that i maybe can transfer to my cars or something.

but for now im looking to get american suvs lol. i saw a chevy blazer with 46k miles. it was pretty good condition and a pretty nice price.

I guess I have been lucky with ours so far. We bought it 4yrs ago, 2001 awd rx300 with 63k miles. We have 144k on it now, just change the oil, synthetic 4-5k miles. Did tranny flush at @ 75k miles. Today I did a drain and fill 4qts tranny fluid. Going to do that every other oil change from now on. Going to have timing belt, water pump and sepentine belt done @ 150k. Goodluck with your possible RX purchase. There are some nice clean used one's out there at a decent price.

I guess I have been lucky with ours so far. We bought it 4yrs ago, 2001 awd rx300 with 63k miles. We have 144k on it now, just change the oil, synthetic 4-5k miles. Did tranny flush at @ 75k miles. Today I did a drain and fill 4qts tranny fluid. Going to do that every other oil change from now on. Going to have timing belt, water pump and sepentine belt done @ 150k. Goodluck with your possible RX purchase. There are some nice clean used one's out there at a decent price.

If you remove both drain plugs you can drain 5 qts.

Watch the ATF condition carefully, every oil change recommended.

If you remove both drain plugs you can drain 5 qts.

Watch the ATF condition carefully, every oil change recommended.

Thanks for that tip, will do that next time.