Oxygen Sensor Cannot Be Replaced

1996 ES300, upstream, Bank 1 sensor 1 (the back, by the firewall)

Problem: first, I cannot disconnect it from the harness. Second, on the harness side, three out of the four wires broke off in a way that I cannot map out how they used to be connected and replacements are not available. Also, I found the sensor tied to a big rubber hose with one of those plastic cable ties, so of course it will not budge. Now the old sensor will not screw back in.

I only have a week to figure it out or junk it and find a new car (due for inspection last month, got rejected so I have till the end of this month)

http://cabletoolpros.com/images/4ct-ct11bk.jpg

Sounds like a mess. Working on these old es300's causes a lot of stuff to break.

If it were me, I'd go to a do it yourself junk yard and find a similar car, 94-96 were very much alike, and study the wires/locations. Then if you couldn't match up your wires and connect/solder them, just cut the one in the junk yard out (from the rear branch of the engine wiring harness) and splice it into yours.

I had a slightly similar problem w/ the connector to one of the coils which crumbled as I tried to remove it. No replacements unless I wanted to buy the entire freaking wiring harness (>$1000 at the dealer) so I just found 'em in the yard and cut off a few, cost me $5

In terms of getting the connector apart, you really have to study the sucker and pry w/ a small flat head screw driver to lift the appropriate lever while worrying the connector out. Might want to try it on the front bank where visibility and access is a lot better, thats the same connector, and will help you with the rear. The plastic cable tie could be cut with a thin knife slid carefully between it and the wire sheath of the o2 sensor wires.

Write back if you need me to get my '94's wire color to connector info.

LL

J,

OK, I looked at my wires. They go this way, using your first picture, top left black, top right brown, bottom left blue, bottome right brown/black.

But regardless, the connector is toast -- actually it was toasted which is why it broke off. You either need to get a new connector from a yard, or remove the injector side connector and just solder the 4 together (either way, need to be soldering down in that hole) Might be able to use wire nuts and electrical tape, but this won't be as solid.

Good luck

LL