After What Mileage Does An Sc400 Stop Working?

Hey,

I have a 1993 SC 400, it has a little over 180,000 miles on it :o . Like 180,453 miles, something close to that number. I recently got the Engine oil, and transmission oil changed ( even tho you do this regularly, I thought it was an important fact to mention ) and I was wondering what the average life span on this type of car is :blink: . How many miles do they usually handle before a new car is a must?

Thank You, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks again. :D .

Hey,

I have a 1993 SC 400, it has a little over 180,000 miles on it  :o . Like 180,453 miles, something close to that number. I recently got the Engine oil, and transmission oil changed ( even tho you do this regularly, I thought it was an important fact to mention ) and I was wondering what the average life span on this type of car is  :blink: . How many miles do they usually handle before a new car is a must?

Thank You, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks again.  :D .

Never...

Seriously though with regular oil changed these will go for 300K+ miles and beyond. Transmissions too.

Mine has 208K miles and my cousin's 250K. Seems like they will run indef.

Good luck

Hey,

I have a 1993 SC 400, it has a little over 180,000 miles on it  :o . Like 180,453 miles, something close to that number. I recently got the Engine oil, and transmission oil changed ( even tho you do this regularly, I thought it was an important fact to mention ) and I was wondering what the average life span on this type of car is  :blink: . How many miles do they usually handle before a new car is a must?

My '92 SC400 has 175k miles on it and the engine and tranny run perfectly.

I researched this a couple months ago when I was considering buying a new car. The consensus seemed to be that the engine and tranny should last 350k - 400k miles, although no one had ever seen them wear out unless severely abused.

After learning that my engine and tranny were only at the mid-point of their expected lives, I decided to invest some bucks into fixing the things that do wear out on the car, rather than purchase a new car.

- Major tuneup at dealer included some minor repairs $1400

- New instrument needles and backlights from http://www.lextech.org ($200 plus shipping)

- Front LCA bushings replaced ($470 P&L).

- Just ordered new leather for the front and rear seats and console cover from Leatherseats.com through a group buy on Club Lexus. ($650) I'll install it myself.

- Trunk lid shocks wear out every 50k to 100k miles. ($42 from Rock Auto and a half hour of easy work.)

- Steering wheel cover from WheelSkins ($50 and it took me 3 hours to do a good baseball stitch installation.)

Still to do:

- Clean, polish, and reseal front headlights

- New wheels (moving from stock 16" to 18")

- Replace climate control backlights with http://www.lextech.org ($40 plus shipping.)

- Install the BFI intake http://www.planetsoarer.com/#BFI

And then there are the things that I'd like to do, but probably won't get around to:

- Catback exhaust

- ECU upgrade

- Upgrade torque converter

- Repaint car

Have fun!

Alfonso

Thanks, not QUITE what I wanted to hear :cries: althought it's a good thing. I love the car, but I was thinking about investing in a new one, but since it will handle for longer, I guess I will keep it, it may sound like Iam dreading it...but Iam not. Iam actual quite happy to hear it!! :D

Thanks again for the response. 300 k huh? sounds good.... :censored: just kidding.

Hey,

Never...

Seriously though with regular oil changed these will go for 300K+ miles and beyond. Transmissions too.

yes, so it would seem, :lol: but that's excellent to know. Thanks.

Mine has 208K miles and my cousin's 250K.  Seems like they will run indef.

Good luck

Hey,

Yea, Iam well WAS considering buying a new car, but I guess since they will last forever I'll stick with it. Thanks for the links, I have to replace pretty much the same things. I appreciate it. :cheers:

My '92 SC400 has 175k miles on it and the engine and tranny run perfectly.

I researched this a couple months ago when I was considering buying a new car.  The consensus seemed to be that the engine and tranny should last 350k - 400k miles, although no one had ever seen them wear out unless severely abused.

After learning that my engine and tranny were only at the mid-point of their expected lives, I decided to invest some bucks into fixing the things that do wear out on the car, rather than purchase a new car.

- Major tuneup at dealer included some minor repairs $1400

- New instrument needles and backlights from http://www.lextech.org ($200 plus shipping)

- Front LCA bushings replaced ($470 P&L).

- Just ordered new leather for the front and rear seats and console cover from Leatherseats.com through a group buy on Club Lexus.  ($650)  I'll install it myself.

- Trunk lid shocks wear out every 50k to 100k miles.  ($42 from Rock Auto and a half hour of easy work.)

- Steering wheel cover from WheelSkins ($50 and it took me 3 hours to do a good baseball stitch installation.)

Still to do:

- Clean, polish, and reseal front headlights

- New wheels (moving from stock 16" to 18")

- Replace climate control backlights with http://www.lextech.org ($40 plus shipping.)

- Install the BFI intake http://www.planetsoarer.com/#BFI

And then there are the things that I'd like to do, but probably won't get around to:

- Catback exhaust

- ECU upgrade

- Upgrade torque converter

- Repaint car

Have fun!

Alfonso

I sold my 1992 sc400 in 2000 with 297,547 miles! It had regular services and oil changes etc. regurally, as suggested, done by the dealer. The transmission broke at 297,522 miles and was fixed for 5k. I sold it the week later for around 12 thousand. They are excelent cars!

Ahh, the perfect spot to drop a comment a colleague of mine made when discussing the lifespan of vehicles in general.

Let me preface this by stating this fellow drives a 2000 C class <_<

On with the claim he made...

I noticed another forum user found a 91 LS400 with 120,000 miles and a clean and well kept maintenance record for only $4500. IMHO, that's a great deal and I'd buy it anyday.

Well, this idiot overheard me talking about it to someone else and decided to jump in with his 2 cents (or less) and tried to convince me it wasn't a good deal because no gasoline engine should last more than 200k miles without becoming a money pit.

Of course, I'm 99.99% certain he's wrong, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has some solid data that would actually support or deny his claim.

I'm not interested in wasting my time debating him, I'm just the curious type. But he's a fan of diesel engines, stating they last longer and run better overall and are the only reliable option for extended engine life. He also believes diesel is the wave of the future for gas/electric hybrids.

:cheers:

Ahh, the perfect spot to drop a comment a colleague of mine made when discussing the lifespan of vehicles in general.

Let me preface this by stating this fellow drives a 2000 C class  <_<

I noticed another forum user found a 91 LS400 with 120,000 miles and a clean and well kept maintenance record for only $4500. IMHO, that's a great deal and I'd buy it anyday.

Well, this idiot overheard me talking about it to someone else and decided to jump in with his 2 cents (or less) and tried to convince me it wasn't a good deal because no gasoline engine should last more than 200k miles without becoming a money pit.

Of course, I'm 99.99% certain he's wrong, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has some solid data that would actually support or deny his claim.

I'm not interested in wasting my time debating him, I'm just the curious type. But he's a fan of diesel engines, stating they last longer and run better overall and are the only reliable option for extended engine life. He also believes diesel is the wave of the future for gas/electric hybrids.

A lexus (under good care and regular services) whould last longer than 200,000 miles! My 92 sc (first year in production don't forget) lasted almost 300k miles before the transmission breaking, and i bet you it's probably still on the road today..it's not everyday you find a 13 year old car with a practically BRAND NEW transmission! As long as the car is treated well it should last a long time. Toyota (lexus) makes cars very well and very simple so not many things break.

And i know that most diesel ran engines will last a long time because..well they just do.. I'm not sure if they'll last over 200k miles, but as does any other engine, it all depends on the way it was taken care of. The diesel fuel is thicker than gassoline, i don't know why that would help...??...

"I'm not interested in wasting my time debating him, I'm just the curious type. But he's a fan of diesel engines, stating they last longer and run better overall and are the only reliable option for extended engine life. He also believes diesel is the wave of the future for gas/electric hybrids."

Overall diesel engines do tend to last longer than gasoline engines. However, the way this guy languaged it, it actually says very little.

Just as there is considerable variation in how long a particular diesel engine will last, there is that same variation for a gas engine.

So, for example, if we are comparing a Jetta diesel to a SC400 engine, I will put my money on the SC400 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

They DO NOT run better than a comparable gasline engine if we are talking about power , smoothness, etc. In fact, the difference in a Mercedes diesel and an SC400 engine is startling.

They are not the only reliable option for long life, as tons of folks on this board can attest to.

They ARE very expensive to repair when they need repairs.

Yes, I agree with him that they will play a increasing role in hybrid technology, esp in Europe where the tax on gas is so hight.

In short the guy is half right and half assed.

PS- there are VW beatles with gas engines running around with a half a million miles on them. Telll this guy that.

The fact that you can buy a low mileage 1UZFE V8 engine for $400 should tell you that they last a long long long long time (when taken care of). There's just no market for them because they don't break! My 92 SC400 has 163k on the clock and it looks and drives like a 40k mile car. The Toyota/Lexus 1UZFE V8 was WAY ahead of it's time when it was designed back in the late 80s.

hows a ford contour with 384,990 miles for hard evidence? i can show you the junkyard where the it is located :) (wreck). car still drove like it did when new.

not a lexus, butyou said he stated gasoline engines in general, so...

• 2 months later...

hows a ford contour with 384,990 miles for hard evidence? i can show you the junkyard where the it is located :) (wreck). car still drove like it did when new.

not a lexus, butyou said he stated gasoline engines in general, so...

LOL, ES250

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I saw one last week from Dallas. 93 with 289k miles on it. Orginal ENG and Tranny (5spd). I also saw one at Clear Lake Lexus out in Houston last year with 356k Miles with Auto Tranny on it and it was not for sale. They were just showing it off to people who were interested in buying Lexus.

• 1 month later...
  • 14 years later...
On 2/28/2005 at 4:49 PM, Bourne33065 said:

Hey,

I have a 1993 SC 400, it has a little over 180,000 miles on it 😮 . Like 180,453 miles, something close to that number. I recently got the Engine oil, and transmission oil changed ( even tho you do this regularly, I thought it was an important fact to mention ) and I was wondering what the average life span on this type of car is :blink: . How many miles do they usually handle before a new car is a must?

Thank You, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks again. 😄 .

So my 93 sc400 has 230,000 in it.  Just replaced rack n pinion, right rear wheel hub n bearing, and transmission currently.  Upgraded band in tranny to high performance, wider one, replaced u joints and some drive train the tranny connects to....2k for r&p, and $2500 for tranny n ujoints, drive train thingy....should I get a tune up on this car after tranny comes back working or will they tune it for me when they put it back together?  Love my car.  Next is seat leather or good covers and instrument panels with working displays on them.  Plus driver door handle is broken, so rekey all of them probably too.  Basic maintenance is a must and can stack up quick.  Not to mention my driver door inner trim panel fell off....lol.  it's a test of my patience and wallet I am thinking.  But I keep on rolling......