1998 Ls400 Window Master Switch

marwankw

Hi, my 1998 LS400 Master switch is in very good condition except that one of the switch top plastic piece is broken (rear left) maybe I pulled it hard by mistake. now do I really need to replace the whole master switch unit ?

can I simply buy say the rear door window switch and take the top plastic piece from it? there is at least $200 between the complete master switch and the rear door switch only.

someone should know.

thanks

I just checked eBay and see a bunch of used LS400 window switches for sale. I didn't look far but on just the first page of results there was a 98-00 LS driver door master window switch for about $93 and a 98-00 LS rear door window switch for about $27.

I've never had a switch fail on my current 98 LS, but on my previous 92, I had no problem removing and replacing the switches individually once I got the main panel out of the door. I don't remember exactly how they were removed, but know they came out through the bottom and the replacement switch just snapped right in. I can't think the design of the 98 could be much different.

Hi guys, thank you for your replies, I really appreciate them all.

But still the same question is un answered which is, If I buy a rear window switch, can take the top plastic piece from it and use it to replace the broken one from the master switch?

are the buttons all the same?

I don't want to replace the complete master switch (if I can) that's why I'm asking.

thanks

But still the same question is un answered which is, If I buy a rear window switch, can take the top plastic piece from it and use it to replace the broken one from the master switch?

I don't want to replace the complete master switch (if I can) that's why I'm asking.

thanks

from reading the comments above, the answer to your question is: "WE DONT KNOW"

we have all had that type of failure and resolved the way stated. SO, you be the one who answers the question, you take your switches out and see if you can swap the damaged part, and make it work.... and if so report it here, and you will be the one who helps out others, and we can report your findings, to others. be sure and take photos, that will help.

thanks

After reading it again, I think maybe I didn't make my first response quite clear enough. I don't know if you could change only the plastic part of the switch, but I don't think you would have any problem taking a switch from any other door and using it to replace the failed one in your driver's door switch panel, assuming the 98 switch panel has removable switches like my previous 92 did.

Hello,

I went to Lexus dealer and was about to buy the rear door switch but found out that the black piece that I needed from it has the word "AUTO" written on it, and the other switches on the master switch don't have it, it'll look odd, I don't like to have it on my master switch. so dropped the idea. on the other hand the dealer offered me a new master switch for $207.99

he said it his last one and want to sell it. will think of it after a visit to the wreck yard.