Problem With 500 Sl Benz

Import_Boy

My dad has a 1992 500 SL with some what over 120k. Everytime he starts the car up there's this huge !Removed! whinning sound. It goes on for like 10 seconds until the car settles down. He's too stubborn to take it in to get fixed, plus we're kinda low on money, so i was wondering if I could do anything to find out what exactly is causing the problem and maybe I could fix it :D haha yeah right.

Drinking? Lay off the bottle man. That stuff causes problems. ;)

This is no Mercedes site but I'd suggest lifting the hood and starting the motor. Listen for the sound and try to locate the component the noise is coming from. Possibly and alternator, power steering pump or water pump. Could be a belt slipping. Hard to say without being there. :huh:

My dad and I looked at it today and we've come to the conclusion that it's the alternator belt. But now the crappy thing is finding one, because they usually go for around 200 bucks!! And we'll probably have to pay another sum of money for labor because mercedes had to make it complicated and just have one entire belt. So it's a !Removed! to put on.