Brake Light Malfunction

mac

Ok. Here's what happened. The Tail/Brake light Out indicator light came on. I have someone press the brakes for me and I discover that the rear right top corner brake light is not working. I open up the brake light compartment and find out that the bulb is fine since it worked on the other lights. I noticed that a contact in the socket was pressed in, so to make a connection, I use a thin piece of aluminum foil to make the bulb connect to the contact that was pressed in. Everything is okay for a while and the LIGHT OUT INDICATOR is off but the bulb looses contact again. I try to put a thicker piece of aluminum between the bulb and contacts while the brake light is being pressed. That's when I hear an electricity noise and all the brake lights that are attached to the car's body, not the trunk lid, go out. I checked the "tail" fuse and the "stop" fuse and they were fine. Anyone know what the problem might be???

yeah, it sounds like you shorted the cable. My SC has a wiring harness problem, but I managed to isolate the specific cable and harness. I would say, use a multimetre and test each wire, all the back to the front. THere's a bad cable that's shorting it out. Once you ID it, you could buy the specific harness or buy the specific wire from Radio Shack.

I am talking about my 92 LS.

I'll see if it can be fixed.

Blake918: burnt light on but no burnt light... hmmm. maybe you have a defective light bulb that is on sometimes (the times you check it) and is not on when your driving. This happened to me once. Had to replace bulb and problem was solved. Try to thoroughly check all your lights.

Incandescent bulbs filaments are infamous for being intermittent, VERY!

It has always been the case that if a bulb is out then tapping it lightly will often cause the filament to reconnect and then it will burn okay for awhile....

Your brake light housing is plastic so be sure and check the ground return from the socket to the metal body contact.

On the connector end of the bulb will be a "dome" of lead and silver solder that serves as an elctrical connect to the contact within the socket. Over time these "dome" lead/silver contacts will "cold flow" and now you will have a not so good "concave" connection.

New bulbs are cheap and I always have spares in the glove box and if a bulb acts up just once it gets tossed!