91 Ls400 Radio Question

AlmightyLexus

I have a 91 Lexus LS 400 with the regular audio system. My question is can I change it to the one that has the cd changer? If so where do you recommend me getting the system (Nakamichi preferably) from? Also, is there a possible way to hook up an aftermarket security system? Which ones are the best?

nakamichi radio, nak subwoofer, nak sub amp with cd changer cable and cd changer system are all the parts you would need.. the 90 to 92 ls400 is the easiest plug in and play swap of any other lexus model. all the wiring is compatible between the pioneer system and the nakamichi system.. by regualar system do you mean a radio with a tape button only? do you have cd button on the radio faceplate? if not you will also need a custom cable to install the cd changer because the tape button only radio cars wqere not prewired at the factory for a cd changer. i will pm yopu on where to get the complete conversion kit including the cd changer cable. the instalation is entirely plug in and play and and does not require any power wire splicing. the only speaker that needs switching is the subwoofer and the sub amp. also a plug in and play operation.

AlmightyLexus I'm in the process of upgrading my "92 LS400 premium audio system (NO cd changer) to a Nakamichi audio system with cd changer. Got all the equipment from "Pioneersuby". Plan to do the install myself as soon as the weather brakes, but just had another snow storm in MA. Trying to avoid taking it to a mobile audio shop, not that I'm cheap, it's just that I don't want somone racing the clock and making a mess of my perfect interior. Also re the alarm system I would HIGHLY recommend you avoid it, also a remote starter etc. Don't let anyone touch your electrical system. Your asking for trouble, had a aftermarket alarm system in a car years ago and the car battery would be drained if I didn't start it every week, always dead at the airport parking garage. Went back to the place where I purchased alarm and they told me the installer no longer worked there and they had no idea how he wired it. Four Door.

• 1 month later...

Hello Lexus owners,

I have a 1991 Lexus Ls400. I just bought a cd changer that goes into the trunk and wondering if any knows where I can purchase the cd cable, aftermarket is fine. My wole system is a pioneer. Also do anyone know how the Nak model sounds it seem that everyone is converting to that.

Thanks

dave911911 you can run the cd cable from the headunit to the trunk following your LS400 wiring harness which is next to the doors on the floor pan. You will have to remove the plastic trim and door plate on the front and back doors and also remove the bolt that secures the seat belt from the "B" pillar, first removing the plastic cover (push down on cover). Next step is to remove the back seat cushions. A number of snaps secure the carpet to the vehicle, pull out the snaps and run the cable back under the carpet following the electrical harness as much as possible. You will find a hole near the rear shelf to snake the cable thru to the trunk. If you are installing a Nak subwoofer speaker this is the best time to do it with the seat cushions removed. Next location to work is the trunk. Remove your trunk carpets and spare tire, unscrew the carpeted cover on the face of the gas tank. The screws are located at the top next to the shelf attached to clips. At this point you should be able to see or feel the cable in the top corner of the trunk. The subwoofer amp is located in the left top corner of the trunk on the drivers side. With the gas tank carpeted cover removed you can also swap out your Pioneer amp for a Nak amp. The cd changer is now ready to be plugged in and played. Hope to have photos of install posted soon. Four Door.