After Market Door Speakers

killerFatty

I just got a best buy gift card and was thinking about getting some new door speakers. I would probably just get a pair for the front. My question is how much difference in sound quality do you think I would get? I have one of the higher end Sony Xplode head unit in there, I don't now if that is relevant. Best buy only has a couple of options for 4" speakers so which do you guys think is best? What should I look for in a good door speaker? Also, is there much modification needed to the wiring for an aftermarket speaker? THX in advance

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22...p;skuId=8749768

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+-+4%22...d=1218063830477

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22...d=1199494465638

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity+-+3-1...p;skuId=8211302

I don't think you want to open that can of worms -- particularly if you are not going to replace all the speakers.

I think you should buy me a new iPod Nano: 8GB, Black, $133.99. Which Best Buy ... Oak Park, Metcalf, Olathe?

Be careful out there today, Killer. We may have more than 6 inches of snow before this is over.

I'm in Denver through Monday so I am not going anywhere soon. How is the weather in KC? That bad??

Anyway what all is involved with changing the speakers? Is it really a huge deal? Does it really make a big difference if you replace all four versus just the fronts?

BTW I usually go to either the one in Olathe or the one on Metcalf depending on what else I am doing. I live half way between them both. O and I like the new avatar.

I'm in Denver through Monday so I am not going anywhere soon. How is the weather in KC? That bad??

No, the weather in KC is not all that bad. Maybe about 4" snow in Lenexa so far but it is still coming down. It was near 60 degrees here yesterday so the streets may be in such good shape due to being still warm.

Denver was like a second home for me in the 1980's and 1990's. Close friends lived in Golden across the street from the winter home of a circus -- near Stevenson auto plaza. We used to joke that we knew we had too much to drink the previous night when we woke up, looked out the window and saw zebras and elephants.

Anyway what all is involved with changing the speakers? Is it really a huge deal? Does it really make a big difference if you replace all four versus just the fronts?

I have no idea! Haven't done it since the 1970's on a VW Rabbit. You used to have to be careful to match the speaker ohms but maybe there is more consistency these days. I was mainly jerking your chain.

BTW I usually go to either the one in Olathe or the one on Metcalf depending on what else I am doing. I live half way between them both. O and I like the new avatar.

I'm about 7 blocks from the Oak Park Best Buy. My Young Frankenstein avatar is not too far off from how I look when I let my hair grow out. And I've been accused of being a "mad scientist" -- It's Alive!!! It's Alive, I Tell You!.

Speakers are simple to replace. What you buy doesn't matter to much, they're all going to sound about the same at that size and power level, best bet is to listen to each one to see if you prefer a particular model, some use different materials for speaker cones and/or tweeters so you get a little difference is total harmonics.

then what the best way to upgrade?? Should I modify the speaker box to fit a larger size speaker like a 5" or bigger?

The best way will be modify and replace... but that won't be the easiest by far. You should really go to a car audio forum to learn these skills. sites like caraudio.com and DIYMA are great places to learn...