Mark Levinson System

I have had RX's with and without the Levinson system and I must say that I much prefer it to the standard sound system. I know that in the standard system there are 8 speakers and Levinson has 11. Other than the amp and the speakers, can anyone tell me if the head unit is the same (minus the Levinson name on it) and if the wiring is the same? Are any of the speakers the same or are they all different? I am aware that there is one additional location - namely just above the navi display on the top of the instrument panel.

Many Thanks,

dentate

Ontario, Canada

I have had RX's with and without the Levinson system and I must say that I much prefer it to the standard sound system. I know that in the standard system there are 8 speakers and Levinson has 11. Other than the amp and the speakers, can anyone tell me if the head unit is the same (minus the Levinson name on it) and if the wiring is the same? Are any of the speakers the same or are they all different? I am aware that there is one additional location - namely just above the navi display on the top of the instrument panel.

Many Thanks,

dentate

Ontario, Canada

I know that the amp and the speakers are different in the ML, not sure about the head unit. The ML also comes with a digital signal processor.

• 3 months later...

Completely different system.

dcfish

Could you please respond in private to dentate@rogers.com and tell me exactly what I will have to do to convert my non-Levinson 2009 with navi to Levinson sound and how costly it might be. I have a 2010 and I do not like it as well as gen 2 so I looked for ages before I found a very low mileage in great shape - I intend to keep this one - unfortnately it was not equipped with Levinson and I would like it. Please advise

dentate

Oshawa, ON

Canada

That's gotta be pretty costly. You'd need an entire new dashboard (specifically designed with a hole for the speaker above the nav screen), you'd need the new speakers and entire new head unit.

• 5 months later...

hi all

I hope some of you could answer some questions I have about the Mark Levinson system on a 2007 RX 350:

1. where are the 11 speakers? I can find 5 on the dash, and 1 in each of the 4 doors. But nothing else...

2. why is the sound not very 'crisp'?

3. do people find the 'front seat' setting gives the most realistic sound (even for rear passengers)?

thank you

Satz

The rear doors have separate tweeters in front of the woofers, for a total of 11 speakers. There is no sub, but the front door speakers are like mini subs (which sound surprisingly good for paper cone woofers). Mine sounds pretty crisp. I usually keep bass +3 or +4, mid -2, and treble +2. I think the best DSP setting is "driver" which widens the soundstage compared to the other positions, which sound flat to me.