Hid Lamp Failure. Bulb Or Ballast?

SW03ES

Hey guys.

About a week ago I noticed the driver's side HID was out. I stopped the car and turned the lights on and off a couple times and it came back on. It has been fine ever since. Tonight though its out and it doesn't seem to be coming back on.

No change in color, no purpling. First time I've ever had an HID lamp fail. Sound like the bulb or the ballast?

If its the bulb, what are the best ones to buy and where should I get them?

I think the OEM bulbs are made by Phillips (size D2R), I found them for $35 each...and $95 each. I'm dubious about the $35 ones...

I'd like to be sure its the bulb though...

Give your service dept a call...ask them.

:cheers:

Steve, have you switched the bulbs to confirm one is bad and that there is not some sort of other problem?

I see a new Phillips D2R bulb on eBay today for $61.64 including shipping from a well rated seller. I think that is the lowest price I've seen.

I'm seeing a lot of used Phillips D2R bulbs on eBay at lower prices. Maybe they are from crashed cars but I am having a hard time with the concept of buying a used light bulb ... a little like buying used underwear!

Maybe they are from crashed cars but I am having a hard time with the concept of buying a used light bulb ... a little like buying used underwear!

I prefer Certified Pre-Owned Underwear! :lol::lol: ;)

That's a great idea to switch the bulbs to. I'm also getting the phone book when I type in the Philips bulb info on e-bay. :wacko:

I haven't gotten the chance to switch them...because today its working again!

I had the Prius at my mechanic today and he said he had some of the OEM bulbs in stock he would sell me for $80 a piece and put them in for me. Not sure thats the issue now though...I'll call him on Monday.

Yeah used light bulbs...can't get behind that!

SW, there's no sure way to tell if it's the ballast or the bulb that's failing. Try switching the left and right bulbs and see if the problem is still present. My bet is on the bulb however. It's the same with fluorescent bulbs, they can be temperamental especially with temperature changes.

If it's the bulb, i'd recommend replacing it with another used bulb, NOT a new one. Or better yet, replace both bulbs with new ones. Depends on how much longer you want to keep your car for...

If you replace one side with a new bulb and leave the other side used, you will notice a huge difference. Both in color and output, especially in color.

The OEM bulb in your ES is the Philips D2R 85126. There are many different models from Philips, so make sure it's the right one. The number (85126) will be written on the base. Also make sure the bulb has never been re-based either.

Definitely stick with the OEM bulb and number. Different branded bulbs will NEVER match in color or intensity.

You can find used 85126's on ebay for anywhere between $10 and $30 each- they're extremely common. Odds are that they're still good and will match the other bulb.

I wouldn't pay more than $130/pair new...

I you go new, buy them from HIDconcept. I've purchased numerous sets of bulbs from them and i know they're REAL. There are a lot of imitations out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-PHILIPS-D...sQ5fAccessories

If the ballast is the issue, you can get used denso ballasts on ebay for less than $100/each. It's a pain to replace, but there's not much else you can do. :(

Nice! Glad the ballast wasn't the issue as that would have been a pain in the butt repair <_<

So be honest, with new bulbs do you notice the increase in brightness? :P

Haven't had a chance to check! We have like 12 inches of snow right now with totals up to 30...so the Lexus is safely in the garage.

I will definitely give you a honest opinion when I get it back on the road ;)

Well, $285 later I've got headlights again! It was just the bulb.

Both bulbs...installed Steve?

What bulbs did you use & I assume your independent mechanic did the work? And yikes 30" of snow! :blink: