Heated Driver's Seat In 2001 Rx300

eemueller

The heater in driver's side seat in my RX300 has a problem. When you switch in on (either hi or lo) both the back and bottom heat very quickly, and then shut off. If I leave the switch on, in 15 minutes, the seat will start heating again and the cycle will repeat. On a recent 4 hour trip, I could set my watch by the constant 15 minute event cycle. I'm guessing there is some type of overheat safeguard in the system and that's what's causing it to turn off. My question is, why is it heating up so fast and hot that it trips an overheat switch? Has anyone else seen this? Thanks.

Eric

Given that the seat heaters on my 2000 RX300 have always operated like that, I'm guessing you don't have a problem. I don't know whether it operates on a timed cycle or off a temperature limit switch but either we both have the same "problem" or it's just the design of the system. I'm thinking Lexus planned it this way. The time to worry is when when [a] it doesn't heat at all or catches your pants on fire. :D

The wiring diagram for the seat heater system in my 2000 LS400 shows a thermostat so I'm guessing that the RX and other models also have thermostats that turn the seat heaters off when they reach a certain temperature and restarts them when the temperature falls to a certain level.

There sure are a lot of questions lately about seat heaters .... hmmm ... I wonder why. ;) It was -10° F. each of the past two mornings when I started up the LS in north central Iowa ... windchill of about -30° F. Glad to be home in Kansas where it is currently a balmy 10° F.