Goodbye Auto Trans, Maybe Engine. Options? Th400?

lobotomyxx

So I was just up the street from my house when I heard several loud clunky-bangs from beneath the car, and smoke slowly billowing from under the windshield edge of the hood. Rolled it in front of my house, horrible burning smell still kicks your face when you lean in the cabin. Key position will turn to on (I haven't tried to start it), and you can shift through all the gears -- it does not feel like its connected to / moving anything in the transmission. I don't suspect any damage to the engine, will start to take things apart tomorrow.

Fluid under the car is dark and thick. Oil is still thin, slightly brown (I run Royal Purple). Seems to me the transmission has somehow eaten itself, more than likely due to bad / low fluid. Had it at the Lexus dealership (mistake, and mistake, and mistake) a few weeks ago to have the door handle fixed ($700? I laughed at them and left), and they treated me like an *BLEEP* the whole time, so Lord knows if they did anything to it. I check fluids 1-2 times weekly, drive it aggressive enough without abusing or being a jackass, maintain it as it is my baby.

All the same, seems the transmission is blown, and I am more in favowur of over-building / best setting up the car for eventual turbo work. I prefer to keep an automatic transmission, and I intend to keep this as my daily driver. I like the idea of doing a TH400, something similar, but do not know what all is behind it aside of parts and a good mechanic.

What are my options on transmissions? Does anyone have experience using a TH400, C4, or comparable automatic transmission? What about the Supra turbo auto?

And with all that said, there is also the idea of just doing the whole damn engine / trans swap now.

Anyone, take it from there . . .

i *still* need to know if any Supra TURBO automatic transmissions are compatible with my 1995 SC300, or beyond upgrades to my stock transmission, is either a th400 or C4 transmission worth time / effort for turbo (30psi+) application in the future?

Exhaust + BFI intake + stock engine + gaskets + 144,000 miles

I am at 141 k so 3k lower then your mileage.

On this forum they told me that these trannys can go till 300k but I knew that it's not true because most auto tranny's won't go that long exept in SOME american SUV's or trucks like F150 or something like that.

Foreign cars are build to last in their countrys but in the U.S they use poor material to make the car cost less since the dollar is weaker.

I know that I work at VW dealer.

But the thing is have youtried to start it?

Why not?

Because that's what actually making me nervous because if a blown tranny would cause the engine to blow then I'll better stop driving my car till I can rebuild my tranny.

Most tranny's die at around 150k miles even vw's ,mercedes and B.M.W so an auto tranny would never go a lot longer.

But manual trannys can.

But does your car still start?

Is your engine blown?

If your engine is still ok then I don't think you would be able to use a Supra tranny with that engine.

Because many people think that the sc300 have the Supra engine but that's not true.

The Sc300 has an engine that has the same SPECIFICATIONS as the Supra engine but it's not like they went into the Toyota plant took a Supra engine and dropped it in the car.

It's an Engine especially build for the Sc300 it's the same for VW most people think that they use the same engine in an Audi as they do in a Vw and that an Audi is just Badge engineering but that's not true.

So the Supra Tranny will probably not work.

BUt if you swap the engine for an ACTUAL Supra engine THEN the tranny will work.

But the car won't be the same.

THe driving would probably be less smooth and less quit but more performing.

If you wan't to do Turbowork then it's better if you go with that but otherwise you should buy the sc300 tranny or do a tranny rebuild.

But in either way don't blame thedealership because at that kind of mileage it's very normal for auto trannys to fail!

On this forum they told me that these trannys can go till 300k but I knew that it's not true because most auto tranny's won't go that long exept in SOME american SUV's or trucks like F150 or something like that.

Foreign cars are build to last in their countrys but in the U.S they use poor material to make the car cost less since the dollar is weaker.

Why not?

Because that's what actually making me nervous because if a blown tranny would cause the engine to blow then I'll better stop driving my car till I can rebuild my tranny.

Most tranny's die at around 150k miles even vw's ,mercedes and B.M.W so an auto tranny would never go a lot longer.

But manual trannys can.

Is your engine blown?

If your engine is still ok then I don't think you would be able to use a Supra tranny with that engine.

Because many people think that the sc300 have the Supra engine but that's not true.

The Sc300 has an engine that has the same SPECIFICATIONS as the Supra engine but it's not like they went into the Toyota plant took a Supra engine and dropped it in the car.

It's an Engine especially build for the Sc300 it's the same for VW most people think that they use the same engine in an Audi as they do in a Vw and that an Audi is just Badge engineering but that's not true.

BUt if you swap the engine for an ACTUAL Supra engine THEN the tranny will work.

If you wan't to do Turbowork then it's better if you go with that but otherwise you should buy the sc300 tranny or do a tranny rebuild.

But in either way don't blame thedealership because at that kind of mileage it's very normal for auto trannys to fail!

Why not?

But manual trannys can.

Is your engine blown?

1992 SC400 Auto, Original stock, No major work; 251,000 MILES.

Yeah because the previous owner problably had to rebuild everything around 150k miles but you don't know that.

I bought my car from my sister that's how I know that no mayor work was done to this car but let's see.

And to Lobotom I want to add that if you're doing the tranny it's a good Idea to do the engine as well because as I remember from back in the day when I was a carguy most people at that time that had their trannys fail they'll do their trannys and rebuild the engine.

If the engine is really good then only do a soft rebuild like replacing gaskets,piston rings and some other small stuff if you suspect that it's about to go then do the complete things like Crankshaft resleeving and such.

Back in my carguys days the guys had a way to tell by looking at the oil when day change it if the engine was about to go or if it could take on more miles they had a way like lookimg at the oil if it's burned or something like that but I tried it when working on my car but can't figure it out.

My oil just looks like oil and I use syntetic and I think syntetic doesn't burn either because like back in the day when I had my classic cars(one El camino and 1 Chevy Malibu)I would fill it with oil then when i went to change the oil I check the dipstick and I find that the oil level had dropped.

That's supposed to be Normal in high mileage cars but in my Lexus I change the oil then check it 3000 miles later before changing the oil and the level is exactly the same as 3000 miles before absolutely no oil lost I find that strange.

But I think that's because I use synthetic because synthetic sticks on the metal parts of the engine that needs lubrication not the oil so it doesn't burn that's what I think.

Or are newer cars different from the older classic maybe I have to look at other things.

A guy at work told me to stick two potatos in the exhaust,start the car,let it run for a while then remove the potato if you see smoke coming from the tailpipe when you remove them that means that you're engine is already burning oil and that smoke will increase soon that it becomes visible soon when you drive.

But anyway try these methods and please let me know because I have an SC400 and I'm getting nervous I'm thinking I'm gonna buy another car for like $1500 anything cheap and then rebuild my tranny really fast because I'm afraid one of these days the thing will explode and mess up my engine.

Danny, you should check out the LS400 auto tranny. I have seen several at 220+K completely original. In fact I would be shocked to see one fail at 150K. I would suspoect foul play if that were the case. Mine is doin fine a 190K and several, if not all, LS members with many more than 150K miles have their original, non-rebuilt, tranny's.

Danny, you should check out the LS400 auto tranny. I have seen several at 220+K completely original. In fact I would be shocked to see one fail at 150K. I would suspoect foul play if that were the case. Mine is doin fine a 190K and several, if not all, LS members with many more than 150K miles have their original, non-rebuilt, tranny's.

Up until the day it went out you couldn't feel the transmission shift, it was THAT smooth, and it was well maintained with Toyota fluid and filters. Flat out, I told the people at the dealership NOT to do all those "courtesy" checks -- I handed them the piece that broke off my door handle and said, "How much and how long to fix it?" It took them an hour and a half to not listen to me and quote $700 for "a new accuator" -- a metal hinge came loose, I didn't know how it reattached, but after jiggling over and over it finally went back in. On top of that the other words out of the guy's mouth were, "And I shouldn't even have to *bother* telling you what else is wrong . . . I mean, you have thousands of dollars of damage to the car and . . . well, good luck with it, I'm sure you don't want us to do anything to it."

At the same time, this isn't about the *BLEEP*-poor service of an unnamed local dealer, but it is about figuring out the transmission situation.

And any of the more knowledged guys here should correct me where I'm wrong; I know the elctronics, some features as part of my car are different from a Supra, I still have a naturally aspirated 2j, have never heard of any real difference between that of a Supra of SC300, aside of some size and custom-fitting parts.

I have read before that most of the transmissions are interchangeable between the two cars, with little or moderate modification, and possible swapping of electronics / wiring. I wish I could find the article, but through many google / this forum's searches I am not finding any answers.

I have not tried starting the car yet for fear of damage -- it has been very cold, rainy and snowy here the past week, thus I still need to check fluids / drop the tranny pan to check for metals. If I'm lucky the filter is clogged and I have a bit of cleaning to do.

A guy at work told me to stick two potatos in the exhaust,start the car,let it run for a while then remove the potato if you see smoke coming from the tailpipe when you remove them that means that you're engine is already burning oil and that smoke will increase soon that it becomes visible soon when you drive.

Really . . .

But that's true.

There is an actuator in the door to lock and unlockit.

That way so you can unlock it with a remote.

And that can cost a lot of money.

If they told you that there was a lot of stuff wrong with the car you should have listened.

Because you chose to walk away because you we're angry at them for charging you that much but maybe they have seen a problem you didn't know about that could've prevented a lot of things.

It's the same thing where I work.

I don't work in the garage but most of the time when the mechanic tells the costumer that he spotted something wrong with the car the costumer thinks that the dealership is trying to rip him/her off and ignore it.

And then when they get in trouble with the car they come back and then there's lot more that need to be fixed.

Maybe these mechanics saw something wrong with your tranny but didn't want to tell you because maybe they thought you're gonna freak out at them but maybe that could have saved you a lot of money.

But that's true.

There is an actuator in the door to lock and unlockit.

That way so you can unlock it with a remote.

And that can cost a lot of money.

Except the actuator wasn't broke -- the piece of metal the connects the door handle to the door control mechanism came off. If the whole actuator was broken the inside door handle and locks would also stop working since they are all controlled by the same mechanism

If they told you that there was a lot of stuff wrong with the car you should have listened.

Because you chose to walk away because you we're angry at them for charging you that much but maybe they have seen a problem you didn't know about that could've prevented a lot of things.

It's the same thing where I work.

1. What they listed as things wrong was bull*BLEEP*. 2. I didn't walk away -- to quote myself . . .

"On top of that the other words out of the guy's mouth were, "And I shouldn't even have to *bother* telling you what else is wrong . . . I mean, you have thousands of dollars of damage to the car and . . . well, good luck with it, I'm sure you don't want us to do anything to it."

The guy made no attempt to sell me on anything, just acted like a cocky prick.

I don't work in the garage but most of the time when the mechanic tells the costumer that he spotted something wrong with the car the costumer thinks that the dealership is trying to rip him/her off and ignore it.

And then when they get in trouble with the car they come back and then there's lot more that need to be fixed.

Maybe these mechanics saw something wrong with your tranny but didn't want to tell you because maybe they thought you're gonna freak out at them but maybe that could have saved you a lot of money.

Maybe they thought I was going to freak out on them? LOL, you keep talking about how things are at your dealership . . . is that common practice too? Do mechanics at your dealership advise legitimate repairs as often as they NEGLECT TO PROVIDE advice based on some random assumption the customer will "freak out"?

This being the same dealership where someone told you to put something in your tailpipe?

Let me tell you something -- do they opposite of everything they tell you.

I appreciate your aim to assist, but blindly defending a dealer based on the idea that your good guy dealership speaks for all dealerships is a little silly.

I'm not trying to defend the dealership I'm just saying that because we sell Vw and the kind of people who buys these cars are mostly thug like people,young guys with bad attitude and things like that.

Like 2 weeks ago we had to call the cops because a costumer wanted to hit the mechanic with a tire iron because he was told that he needed a new engine.

A lot of our costumers are downright rude and aggresive and that's why sometimes we can't do our job properly and tell them the facts because we or our entire family risk of getting insulted or a dead thread.

The way you're posting in this forum makes me think that you're an agressive guy and if you went with that attitude at the dealer maybe they saw something but they didn't want to tell you because they thought you problably would have told them that you'll kill their entire family.

And no the potato thing is not like that.

The thing is they told me to cover the exhaust with my hand firmly but then the other guys said like I have 2 exhaust and then he said well stick a potato in it to close it up.

But I CAN reach them with my hand I think.

The idea is to cover the exhaust firmly for a while with your engine running then removing your hands or whatever it is you're using to close the exhaust with.

Now If you see smoke coming out of them that means that you're engine is burning oil and you're gonna have a problem soon.

But anyways have a Happy new Year and I hope you'll have your car fixed.

A bad tranny can happen to anyone I had a tranny go out on me once in a Dodge Intrepid at 125 k miles so it;s normal to have tranny problems at this kind of mileage.

If you really love this car fix it if not you can buy a new or used one and maybe one that has more power like a Vw Passat CC or something like that those have stronger transmisions to handle all the hard driving like young people drive these days.