Rx400h Queries.

Hi Everyone,

On my 08' 400H, when the engine kicks in on take off (normal driving), I find it doesn't feel as smooth (and detectable) as compare to say when I'm cruising at 50km/h which I couldn't tell unless I look at the dashboard. I read that Lexus had improved in this area on the 2010 rx450 whereby the transition between electric to motor is seamless. I'm using a premium fuel (95 octane). Anyone else feel the same?

Engine Start - do you normally wait for the engine to warm up for the first couple of minutes and auto-shutdown before you drive off?

Tyre pressure - The tyre placard says 230kpa. My 4 tyres are currently showing 280kpa on cold check. Thinking of pumping it to 300kpa. Is that too high?

I'm contemplating whether to add rear parking sensors. How does everyone feel about them? I'm a little nervous during night time when it's harder to rely on the reverse camera vision.

Merry Xmas everyone...

I wouldn't increase tire tire pressure too much, Not only will it adversely effect handling but it

will wear the tires unevenly.

I' thinking about the reverse sensors as well, that or maybe a more powerful reverse lamp.

I back out of the drive early and it's tough to see.

Odd that my Father in laws 2003 Oldsmobile had backup sensors but we don't!

have you priced them yet and could you provide a link?

as for the backup lamps - there is a shield on the bulb that can be removed to increase the illumation - the procedure is in this forum - i cannot remember where it is exactly - i will try to find it for you - the shield cuts out about 1/2 the light as to direct it donward !

I wouldn't increase tire tire pressure too much, Not only will it adversely effect handling but it

will wear the tires unevenly.

I' thinking about the reverse sensors as well, that or maybe a more powerful reverse lamp.

I back out of the drive early and it's tough to see.

Odd that my Father in laws 2003 Oldsmobile had backup sensors but we don't!

have you priced them yet and could you provide a link?

On the RXs, I usually run the tires at 8-10% above what the manufacturer recommends. For me, this has given a combination of ride and responsiveness that I feel is the best I can get. A higher tire pressure made the cars harsh, in my opinion.

I also put back-up sensors on my latest RX. They cost $190.- installed (if you can accept black), but I had mine painted body/bumper colour for an extra $100. They were sold/installed in Miami by an outfit called "Auto-tech" - a car alarm place - and they work extremely well, indicating proximity not only by beeping but also by posting the remaining inches to touching, accurately. If I had had the camnera, I would not have installed them, though, since I would have thought the view would be sufficient. All this to say that your inquiry should probably begin at car alarm shops. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

On my 08' 400H, when the engine kicks in on take off (normal driving), I find it doesn't feel as smooth (and detectable) as compare to say when I'm cruising at 50km/h which I couldn't tell unless I look at the dashboard. I read that Lexus had improved in this area on the 2010 rx450 whereby the transition between electric to motor is seamless. I'm using a premium fuel (95 octane). Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, this is normal, but doesn't bother me at all.

Engine Start - do you normally wait for the engine to warm up for the first couple of minutes and auto-shutdown before you drive off?
I start the car and then fasten my seat belt, adjust mirrors, etc before backing out of the garage. You shouldn't have to wait more than 20 seconds or so.
Tyre pressure - The tyre placard says 230kpa. My 4 tyres are currently showing 280kpa on cold check. Thinking of pumping it to 300kpa. Is that too high?

I keep my tire pressure at 240kpa (35 psi) and that seems to be just about perfect.

I'm contemplating whether to add rear parking sensors. How does everyone feel about them? I'm a little nervous during night time when it's harder to rely on the reverse camera vision.

I think they are a very valuable addition to almost any vehicle.