How To Remove The Brake Rotor Of 04 Ls430?

happy rider

Sup folks,

I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads and rotors for my 04 LS430. I get to the point that Wheel and caliper was removed. I tried to smash the rotor off with he rubber hammer, but with no luck. I wonder if there's a securing bolt I need to remove before I try this or the rotor just slips off rotor. Besides, anyone could point out where the brake fluid reservoir cap is?

What kinda C-clamp do I need to push the piston back?

Much appreciated.

I just replaced my rear rotors 4 months ago. I don't recall any special holder. Just a couple taps with a steel hammer was all that was needed. The wheel and wheel nuts are what holds the rotor in place.

As for C clamp any one big enough will do. I like to put a block of wood over piston top and clamp against that.

Isn't there normally a couple of crosshead countersunk screws holding the rotor to the hub flange? Also don't you also have to remove the caliper mounting bracket?

Could be completely wrong maybe the rotor has rusted onto the flange.

I just replaced my rear rotors 4 months ago. I don't recall any special holder. Just a couple taps with a steel hammer was all that was needed. The wheel and wheel nuts are what holds the rotor in place.

As for C clamp any one big enough will do. I like to put a block of wood over piston top and clamp against that.

thanks for the hint. I had a picture uploaded here which shows a clear vision of the rubber cap at 10 o'clocl. I removed it and tried to shine a flash light into the whole and could not get a clear visual of a bolt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanxliu/4156028967

First off, you've got to remove the caliper from the disc. If the pads are still in the caliper, you won't even feel a budge, no matter what you hit it with.

Secondly, see those little screw holes "one is next to the rubber gasket"? You've got another one on the opposite side of the rotor. Call your lexus dealer, ask for service, and ask them what the size is for those bolt holes. They're very common and you get them from any hardware store around. What you have to do is put these two bolts into those bolt holes and turn them until they pop the rotor off of the hub. Judging by the amount of rust on the rotor "and make no mistake, that's a lot of rust", you're going to want to spray some lubricant in those holes before doing this.

Put the bolts in the holes and start turning. You'll know when they come loose.

An additional suggestion. If your rotor look like this, then I can imagine the hub is rusty too, along with the inside of your tire rim. Take some steel wool and clean up the hub and the wheel too to ensure a smooth, flat, vibration free, mounting of the new rotor and wheel!

The bolt hole on the rotor should be an M10x1.25, Toyota generally sticks with the same thing and all the Lexus/Toyota brakes I've done in the past are that thread pitch. But if you're replacing the rotor it doesn't matter, just hit it harder with a bigger hammer.

• 3 weeks later...
Sup folks,

I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads and rotors for my 04 LS430. I get to the point that Wheel and caliper was removed. I tried to smash the rotor off with he rubber hammer, but with no luck. I wonder if there's a securing bolt I need to remove before I try this or the rotor just slips off rotor. Besides, anyone could point out where the brake fluid reservoir cap is?

Much appreciated.

I inspected the rear brakes & rotors recently. There is no securing bolt/screw. Make sure the cailper (with brake pads) is off the rotor. Then give three to four hard taps with a rubber mallet. The rotor should slip off. If not, then apply WD40 on the rusted areas; and few more taps with a mallet should free up the rotor.

6" C-clamp should be big enough. You should put a block of wood over piston top and clamp against that.

The brake fluid reservoir cap is located under the hood on the driver side by the fire wall (next to the anti-lock brakes control box).

Good Luck.

I get to the point that Wheel and caliper was removed. I tried to smash the rotor off with he rubber hammer, but with no luck.

There are two bolt holes in the rotor... I think they are M6 x 1.25, you can usually find a spare couple of bolts somewhere under the hood. Insert the bolts into the holes and tighten them evenly into the holes. The rotor will pop off easily after a few turns no matter how rusted it is...

I haven't done Ls430 rear brakes in a while but if memory serves, the pistons don't push back in... they turn in, you need a special tool, $29 at Harbor Freight, a bit more at an auto parts store..