Right Rear Passenger Power Door Lock Failure...

SW03ES

Hey all,

All of a sudden the power door lock on the driver's rear door has stopped working. Manually it works but it won't lock or unlock with the rest of the car, and the alarm won't arm obviously unless its manually locked.

Any thoughts as to what the issue might be?

Steve, it could be a failed lock motor -- some people call them an "actuator": http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2003_LEXU...EAGKA_6706.html

One failed on the front passenger door of a friend's 99 Camry last year ... may be a fairly common issue as these cars age. There have been a few past threads on this.

For the driver's side rear door, Parts.com gives a retail price for part 69060-33111 as $214.52 and they sell it for $148.32.

Yep, sounds like the lock actuator. Had the same problem on my 98 Camry once.

The part should cost around $150 for OEM from an online Lexus dealer.

Hard part will be getting to the actuator to replace it. If you need any tips on removing the rear door panel, let me know. I recently had to remove it to fix my rear window. (I am assuming this is for your 03 ES300, which should be similar to my 02 ES300)

That was my thought too. I'll ask my guy what he would charge me to remove the door panel and change it out before I tackle it myself, if its a lot I'll definately give it a shot with your help.

Just got an email from my Lexus salesman...2.9% financing for 60 months on the 2010 ES350...bet the door locks all work on that! ;)

That was my thought too. I'll ask my guy what he would charge me to remove the door panel and change it out before I tackle it myself, if its a lot I'll definately give it a shot with your help.

Just got an email from my Lexus salesman...2.9% financing for 60 months on the 2010 ES350...bet the door locks all work on that! ;)

Removing the door panel is not that hard. Takes about 10 mins total. Getting to the actuator, I can't speak for that since I didn't pay attention to it when I was fixing the window.

lol--have you looked at the 2010 ES350 in person? I need to go do that. In the pictures it looks too Camry-ish.

Had same issue with 99 es300; both the front and rear electric locks quit working. When the front actuator was replaced, it corrected the problem with the rear actuator, so we did not need to replace the rear actuator.

The lock has started working again...leads me to believe that it may be a switch issue or a power short...

No child lock lol.

lol--have you looked at the 2010 ES350 in person? I need to go do that. In the pictures it looks too Camry-ish.

Oh yeah, a couple times. My issue with the ES350 has always been that I feel like they took a step backwards in material quality from our generation. They have addressed some of that with nicer trim in the 2010, but the plastics, leather, and carpeting are still a step below. I've always thought the ES350 was a great looking car...

Glad to know your lock is working again. I love it when things fix themselves ;)

I agree with you about the material quality going down. I've owned a 97, 99, 02 and my friend has a 07, and I feel that the 97-2001 generation had the best materials in terms of quality and long-term durability. My wife's 99 is still very quiet inside with ~160K miles while my 02 with 97K miles has numerous squeaks and rattles. The leather in 99 ES has also held up better than in the 02.

My 03 still has no squeaks or rattles with 135k miles and the leather is like new...its all in how its cared for.

I never saw much of a difference in quality between the 97-01 and the 02-06 personally...