Recall Regarding Mats/accelerator

peteanello

Here is a link to a LA Times article from 10/18/09.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyo...2642,full.story

It states: One possible remedy is to redesign the accelerator pedal to make it harder to get caught by a floor mat, he said. Another potential fix, he said, involves reprogramming the engine's computer to automatically cut power when a driver brakes while the gas pedal is depressed.

I still don't think redesiging the floor mats is the solution because 10 years from now someone buying the vehicle (used) could potentially install a type of floor mat that could duplicate the problem.

It states: One possible remedy is to redesign the accelerator pedal to make it harder to get caught by a floor mat, he said. Another potential fix, he said, involves reprogramming the engine's computer to automatically cut power when a driver brakes while the gas pedal is depressed.

I still don't think redesiging the floor mats is the solution because 10 years from now someone buying the vehicle (used) could potentially install a type of floor mat that could duplicate the problem.

I sure hope they do something soom because my carpet it getting pretty dirty and winter is coming. I am going to request a new carpet job if this issue lingers too long.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the NHTSA isn't buying it:

Govt criticizes Toyota press release on floor mats

By KEN THOMAS (AP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Toyota Motor Corp. released misleading information about an investigation into problems with stuck gas pedals that led to a massive Toyota recall, the government said Wednesday, stressing the issue is still under review by federal safety regulators.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it was still investigating the case and meeting with Toyota to hear about the company's plan to redesign the vehicles and fix "this very dangerous problem."

Toyota recalled 3.8 million vehicles last month over problems with gas pedals that got stuck on floor mats and told owners to remove driver's side floor mats and not replace them until the automaker had determined a fix to the problem.

Toyota said in a statement on Monday that NHTSA had confirmed "that no defect exists in vehicles in which the driver's floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured."

But NHTSA said that was inaccurate and the government was investigating possible causes of the acceleration problem. Removing the floor mats was "simply an interim measure" and "does not correct the underlying defect in the vehicles involving the potential for entrapment of the accelerator by floor mats, which is related to accelerator and floor pan design."

"The matter is not closed until Toyota has effectively addressed the defect by providing a suitable vehicle based solution," NHTSA said in the statement, which the department said was issued to correct "inaccurate and misleading information" from the automaker.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said "it was never our intention to mislead or provide inaccurate information. Toyota agrees with NHTSA's position that the removal of the floor mats is an interim measure and that further action is required. We continue to discuss an appropriate vehicle remedy or remedies."

The recall includes 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250/IS350.

The recall, Toyota's largest in the U.S., was prompted by a high-speed crash in August involving a 2009 Lexus ES350 near San Diego, Calif. Mark Saylor, a 45-year-old California Highway Patrol officer, and three members of his family were killed when their vehicle hit speeds exceeding 120 mph, struck a sport utility vehicle, launched off an embankment, rolled several times and burst into flames.

Family members made a frantic 911 call from the Lexus and told a dispatcher the accelerator was stuck and they couldn't stop the vehicle.

The high-profile incident led Toyota President Akio Toyoda to call the fatal crash "extremely regrettable" and offer his "deepest condolences."

I sure hope they do something soom because my carpet it getting pretty dirty and winter is coming. I am going to request a new carpet job if this issue lingers too long.

Or you could just install the mats properly and use the hooks. Anyways the issue lies with the rubber mats...not the carpeted mats. The car the CHP officer was driving had winter mats from the wrong model Lexus.

Common sense must come into play. With the hooks properly installed there is just no way for the mats to get anywhere near the gas pedal. If you get down there and pull forward with all your stregnth, they don't budge.

I finally broke down (after 20 months) and I am having my dealer put in satellite radio and the loaner car I have today (09 ES350) has the carpet mats and they are literally tied to the seats with plastic rings. They said Lexus will be coming out with a “fix” that is not related to the floor mats(?).

I am with SW03ES, when I look at my all weather mats that are hooked in properly there is just no way they could get lodged under the accelerator. This whole thing has an air of ridiculousness about it to me. I simply find it hard to believe that a car would not shut off, the brakes did not work and throwing it in neutral would not have avoided the whole situation – if it was caused by the mats in the first place (all of this said while still having sympathy for the family(ies) involved).

Its all in a situation of panic. Had he put the car in neutral they would have been fine...had he been able to shut the car off...they would have been fine.

Honestly...I'm really tempted to see if I can get a steal on a 2010 right now because of this...

"Isn't this the car that hurtles off into the abyss assuring certain death to all who ride in it? I'll give you $30k"

Its all in a situation of panic. Had he put the car in neutral they would have been fine...had he been able to shut the car off...they would have been fine.

Honestly...I'm really tempted to see if I can get a steal on a 2010 right now because of this...

"Isn't this the car that hurtles off into the abyss assuring certain death to all who ride in it? I'll give you $30k"

LOL, give it a try. Like a previous poster, I'm still shocked the guy didn't put the car into neutral. The man was apparently a CHP officer, and from my understanding they are provided extensive driver training - hard to believe a driving expert wouldn't figure that out. Can't put myself in his place, but maybe panic prevented clear thinking...

Just got a Certified PreOwned 2008 with only 20k - there are some very good deals on those if you can find them. Mine is almost fully loaded, and for under $30k.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think it is good idea to block engine in such a case.... sometimes I press gas pedal and break if I do not want to loose the power but have to lower the speed...

Why would one need to brake and press the gas pedal at the same time? Please explain - I don't get it.

Assuming you're not being facetious, for WHATEVER reason the throttle is open, the engine computer fix will allow the brake function to prevail (a good safety measure, if OTHER unexplained sudden acceleration incidents are true).

There is no reason...

..one drives fast, in post hurry and has to make a sharp turn and does not want loose power of the engine... in this case one keeps gas pedal at the same level and slightly presses the break.....car slowly makes a turn ...one release the break and without loosing time for increasing power of the engine drives at the same speed as did before turn... it is common rule in racing...

I have to laugh - "common rule in racing," and we are talking about a front-wheel drive ES350? Correct? Pretty much the antithesis of anything racing.

Speaking of common rules, I will presume you are intending to use the word lose not loose as your use of the word loose is making your last few posts make even less sense.

Cheers.

LOL, give it a try. Like a previous poster, I'm still shocked the guy didn't put the car into neutral. The man was apparently a CHP officer, and from my understanding they are provided extensive driver training - hard to believe a driving expert wouldn't figure that out. Can't put myself in his place, but maybe panic prevented clear thinking...

Just got a Certified PreOwned 2008 with only 20k - there are some very good deals on those if you can find them. Mine is almost fully loaded, and for under $30k.

Yep, I just bought a 2007 used with 39K miles for under 30K as well!

There is no reason...

..one drives fast, in post hurry and has to make a sharp turn and does not want loose power of the engine... in this case one keeps gas pedal at the same level and slightly presses the break.....car slowly makes a turn ...one release the break and without loosing time for increasing power of the engine drives at the same speed as did before turn... it is common rule in racing...

This is true on a racecar when trying to make the best time on a road course, but it is not true in a 4000lb FWD behemoth with 65% weight distribution to the front on a public highway or neighborhood street.

There is absolutely no reason to use the technique you are describing on a public road, and the ES would be worthless on a track anyways.

I've taken racing courses and there are plenty of things that you do on a racetrack that don't translate to the road.

There is absolutely no reason to use the technique you are describing on a public road, and the ES would be worthless on a track anyways.

...if I am in a hurry any techniques are good to hit a target...and ES350 is worth to use as a race car...driver is a king on a road..not a car...

You can go on believing that if you want. If you think the ES is worthwhile to use as a race car that alone proves you have no idea what you are talking about.

Do yourself and all of us who share the road with you a favor. Take some time and actually learn what you are talking about. Braking and accelerating in a curve with a FWD car can introduce some tricky geometry into your driving process, it could lead to an accident, and it creates unnecessary wear on the brakes and drivetrain of your vehicle.

If you're in such a hurry that you are modulating the throttle and brakes through turns you need to grow up and do what other responsible adults do when they aren't getting to their destinations on time...leave earlier.

If you're in such a hurry that you are modulating the throttle and brakes through turns you need to grow up and do what other responsible adults do when they aren't getting to their destinations on time...leave earlier.

O.K...and when I will be like you... over 60 years old... I"ll drive only after put all my way on navigator two days before start...

O.K...and when I will be like you... over 60 years old... I"ll drive only after put all my way on navigator two days before start...

For the record I'm 28 and have taken several road racing courses in my lifetime.

I'm just not an idiot.

For the record I'm 28 and have taken several road racing courses in my lifetime.

I'm just not an idiot.

>>>sorry...your way of thinking...manner of giving multiple advises...confused me...be happy ...