Do I Change My Transmission Fluid Or Not...?

RandySC400

Hello, this may be a stupid question...but I am alittle concerned about changing the fluid and filter in my 1993 LS400 it has 230,000 miles on it. many people are telling me that if I change the fluid with that high of mileage that the Tranny will start slipping and eventually go...that the oil that is in it, is functioning to the wear of the tranny or something like that...they say that after 150,000 you shouldn't change the fluid in your tranny. My tranny doesn't feel right lately shifting and want some of your opinons about wheather I should do a tranny flush,filter and fluid change...or just leave it be??? Thank you, RANDY

Hello, this may be a stupid question...but I am alittle concerned about changing the fluid and filter in my 1993 LS400 it has 230,000 miles on it. many people are telling me that if I change the fluid with that high of mileage that the Tranny will start slipping and eventually go...that the oil that is in it, is functioning to the wear of the tranny or something like that...they say that after 150,000 you shouldn't change the fluid in your tranny. My tranny doesn't feel right lately shifting and want some of your opinons about wheather I should do a tranny flush,filter and fluid change...or just leave it be??? Thank you, RANDY

Hi Randy,

Not a stupid question at all, but one that has been hashed over many times. Personally I'd have it changed. Never heard that after a certain mileage you shouldn't change it. Eventually the fluid will break down. There are pro's and con's regarding the flush as some say it can dislodge a little debri that might become lodged in a valve body or some other orifice. Those that advocate never changing the fluid are probably in favor of never changing the oil in the engine as well. :rolleyes:

Brett

Hey Randy, personally, I would not do a power flush on an older tranny. Here's how to change and flush the fluid safely:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transchange.html

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transflush.html

And here's more than enough reading for you to make up your own mind:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=40463&st=0

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=45104&st=0

Randy, the question wasn't stupid, the initial answer you received in your initial post was! Anyone telling you not to change your transmission fluid after 150k miles, is probably hoping you come back when your transmission burns up!

Do the drain n' fill proceedure a few times, and you'll be good as gold, right as rain, smooth as britney's....uh...wait, how old are you before I finish that last one? :lol:

Use Geniune Toyota type IV fluid though. Buy a case at your nearest Toyota dealership ($50 +/-), and do the two quarts out/two quarts in routing about every 500 miles or so until you've done that 3 or 4 times. By that time, the old fluid coming out, will look like the new fluid going in. Once you're at that spot, then I'd just do it every 5,000 miles or so (every oil change) to insure, and ensure, a smooth as butter transmission for a VERY LONG TIME!

smooth as butter transmission for a VERY LONG TIME!

Reminded me of this old time mechanic at a VW Dealer alternate service shop with about 6 mechanics - all very German, some who came from VW, some who came from Audi. His name was Hans and he had an old Rabbit diesel that was about 10 years old at the time with maybe 500K Kilometers (a lot for a Rabbit) and no rust anywhere. He loaned it to me a couple of times when I had the Scirocco in for the common windshield problem that leaked from the driver's side corner right down to the fuse box below where VW so cleverly located it in all their vehicles. It wasn't the cleanest interior I've see, what with all the parts he had in there at any given time and of course the pervasive smell of grease and oil common to the trade. The 4 speed stick however, was the slickest, "smooth as butter" tranny I've ever driven in any car. Just the most effortless and barely audible snick, snick, snick. Together with the smoothest and quietest deisel, this car was almost as impressive in it's way as my modded Scirocco. Some of these oldtimers really know how to tune/maximize the performance of their beaters to the point where your saying to yourself, How come this thing's smoother than my car? :huh:

Once you're at that spot, then I'd just do it every 5,000 miles or so (every oil change) to insure, and ensure, a smooth as butter transmission for a VERY LONG TIME!

Now..., that is something I would call overkill :blink:, but to each his/her own. ;)

Once you're at that spot, then I'd just do it every 5,000 miles or so (every oil change) to insure, and ensure, a smooth as butter transmission for a VERY LONG TIME!

Now..., that is something I would call overkill :blink:, but to each his/her own. ;)

I was recently at the service dept of my local Lexus dealer and quizzed the service manager about transmission maintenance.

They drain the 2 quarts in the pan about every 60k miles and dont ever do a 'flush'. Then again, the feeling I got from the manager is

that they are not overly concerned about keeping things uber-fresh. After all, they get to charge $100/hr when something fails. No biggy :lol:

My personal preference is to drain and refill the tranny pan about every 15k miles (or once a year for me).

I have been wanting to do a fluid change on my 91 LS, but it has 223K. I am not sure when it was last changed. No records of it. Tranny still shifts fine though. I need to inspect it.

My mom has a 1997 Oldsmobile Acheiva SL sedan, with the 2.4L 4-cylinder that was my grandpas. Grandpa bought new. It now has 184K, yes 184K and never had the transmission fluid or filter changed - I know he never changed it and mom got the car when it had 98K and dad has never changed it. Sad, I know. Tranny still shifts perfectly though.... pretty much amazes me. To be honest, dad only changes the oil in it every 8000 miles. Guess he figures its just an old car now and they will run it until it wont go anymore. Already got their monies worth out of it. When/if I give my mom my LS, I will start using this as my work car. I have big plans for it... it will probably fall apart though when I start servicing it. lol.

I can see where you'd think that. But if you've ever changed your own oil, and done one of these drain n' fill proceedures, you'll know that it's probably the easiest thing to do on the car. Just one easily reached bolt is all it takes...

I can see where you'd think that. But if you've ever changed your own oil, and done one of these drain n' fill proceedures, you'll know that it's probably the easiest thing to do on the car. Just one easily reached bolt is all it takes...

Easy to do. No denying that.