2001 430ls: Where Can I Find The Gaspedal Position Sensor

irmichel

Hi,

Well the obvious guess would be that this sensor is located near the gaspedal but what does it looks like?

Since a couple of weeks my LS is holding back when I lift the gaspedal at around 60-75 mph. I have to press the accelerator far more than the usual half inch before it picks up speed again. This sounds more serious than it is (the car loses only a litte speed but still noticeable) but it's very anoying and is becoming more frequently now.

Some searching on Lexus forums gave me an answer that it could be this position sensor. Some guy reported that unplugging the multiconnector from the sensor solved his problem. So before forking out several hundreds to the dealership I want to try if un-/replugging the connector will solve my problem too.

Can anyone point it out to me preferably with a picture since my wife has to perform the 'operation' (i'm tied to a wheelchair for a couple of weeks due to some stupidity :( ).

Greetz,

Michel

Before I had similar issues last Spring, I also thought the pedal position sensor (PPS) must be in the interior near the gas pedal. But it isn't -- at least on my 2000 LS400. Both the PPS and TPS (throttle position sensor) are in the engine compartment under the removable cover on top of the engine. Also there is the throttle control motor which is what really does the dirty work.

I'd advise against mucking with this system unless you know what you are doing and have the tools and instructions to test the components of the throttle system. The components aren't all that expensive but I don't think it is good idea to just start replacing stuff. All the components can be tested -- the instructions and specs are in the repair manuals for my 00 LS althought they may be different for your car.

The TPS on my car failed almost completely last Spring -- very erratic -- shutting off and restarting the engine allowed me to drive the car home and then to the repair shop the next day. The TPS tested out as being bad and I also had the PPS replaced since it tested as being marginal.

The total cost of replacing the TPS and PPS on my car, including diagnosis, was right at $670 excluding tax.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

Well the obvious guess would be that this sensor is located near the gaspedal but what does it looks like?

Since a couple of weeks my LS is holding back when I lift the gaspedal at around 60-75 mph. I have to press the accelerator far more than the usual half inch before it picks up speed again. This sounds more serious than it is (the car loses only a litte speed but still noticeable) but it's very anoying and is becoming more frequently now.

Some searching on Lexus forums gave me an answer that it could be this position sensor. Some guy reported that unplugging the multiconnector from the sensor solved his problem. So before forking out several hundreds to the dealership I want to try if un-/replugging the connector will solve my problem too.

Can anyone point it out to me preferably with a picture since my wife has to perform the 'operation' (i'm tied to a wheelchair for a couple of weeks due to some stupidity :( ).

Greetz,

Michel

I think it could be your throttle position sensor. It's under the hood, attached to the throttle body. You can get one on-line for about $75. If you research lexls tutorials, there are photos and info on how to replace. It's pretty easy. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/

Maybe a dumb question but why do they need two sensors? Isn't the gas pedal connected through mechanical linkage to the throttle plate such that it is in direct proportion to the pedal position? I always wondered the benefit of the second sensor. Seems they'd track each other 1:1 hence are redundant. I don't think its fly by wire yet....

Maybe a dumb question but why do they need two sensors? Isn't the gas pedal connected through mechanical linkage to the throttle plate such that it is in direct proportion to the pedal position? I always wondered the benefit of the second sensor. Seems they'd track each other 1:1 hence are redundant. I don't think its fly by wire yet....

Two sensors (TPS and PPS) are necessary to allow VSC to intervene and take control of the thottle regardless of the pedal position.