'92 Doesn't Start

donb511

Went to start my '92 ES 300 after being in the garage for several days. All I get is a continous clicking sound. I jumped it and it started, but after turning it off needs jump again. Lights seem to come on fine and don't dim that much when I try to start it. I also unhooked negative terminal while running and it continues to run.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Don

I'd take it to an Advance Auto or Autozone and have them check the alternator and battery for free. If they check out then it could be a bad ground somewhere drawing the battery down or the starter solenoid could be on its last legs.

Good advice, but I would also add to check the positive cables, including the wires to the alternator.

I had a similar starting problem with my wife's '94. It turned out to be the battery terminals. These terminals deteriorate over time like shocks and eventually power flow becomes problematic. I bought new positive and negative terminal assemblies from the local Toyota parts department and replaced the old corroded ones. The old ones were a real bear to remove even after soaking them in penetrating oil so take your time. Don't forget anti corrosion felt washers when you re-assemble everything. Once I replaced these terminals the starting problem went away. The terminal assemblies were $12.42 each out the door.

Although this solved my individual problem other electrical gremlins may be at work here. Hope this helps.