Trying To Stop An Oil Leak Usig Engine Stop Leak

bliepert

i have a 1996 ES300 (with 89 thousand miles) and a few months after a bought it i realized an oil leak (the leak is not enough to cause my oil level to be dangerously low, but enough to leave two or three spots on the ground over night) so i posted a new topic a month ago asking for help, one tip given was to replace the pcv valve, so i did, but this did not stop the leak... The other day i was in the store when i saw a product by GOLD EAGLE called ENGINE STOP LEAK, so i bought it... And before i tryed it i wanted to get some thoughts about the product,

Product description is:

For dark brown leaks, safely softens and swells seals to stop engine oil leaks.

I would recomend trying to isolate the leak first. You have a low mileage engine, and it is a little odd that it is leaking already. I would suggest purchasing a can of brake cleaner and spraying the bottom of the engine. The cleaner will remove the oil, and dry the area out. You will then be able to see where the oil is coming from. It may just be something as simple as the oil drain plug.

The rear valve cover is a real common source. You can tell this by smoking soon after start up. Another real good one is the rear main seal. Mine's got the same problem; a few drips overnight. Mine is definitely the rear main. To change it out is so much absolute work that it's just not worth it. Mine has about 230K on it. I've tried stop leak, but no real improvement. Like stated above, spray down the bottom of the motor with brake cleaner and see where it's coming from that way. I'll bet you'll see; rear main, and possibly some from a few of the fronts. Switching to a synthetic oil is another way to try to combat leaky seals. WHAT?!!! Are you crazy?!!! Synthetics make leaks, they don't stop them! Wrong. Synthetics will find leaks but they will clean and condition the seals as they work on them. The leaking is a sign that the oil is getting to the dried out cracked areas of the seals. As they plump up again, the leaks diminish and in some cases stop all together.

I recently had an oil leak and it turned out to be a loose oil filter......sometimes its so simple. Otherwise the additives soften the seals and stop minor leaks that come with age. Locate the source and if its a camseal which i suspect it is, learn to live with it. You ll get many miles without paying through the nose for the sake of a bit of oil on the cardboard you put on your driveway when you park.

I have tiny oil leak(Rear main seal) in 97 ES300 after 360+K miles.

If it's small, you shouldn't worry about it. it's not worth to fix.

Today I replaced oil with Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend 10W40.

I heard it's good for leaks. lets see what happen?

Thanks,