Again 93 Lexus; Headlights

Blk Blood

hey

id like to know if anyone has put Hid or LED lights on their LS400, and what (type, brand) did they use. Itd be cool to have pics! also where to get them. i wouldnt change everything tho, ill keep the fog lights theyre too nice!

thanks

hey

id like to know if anyone has put Hid or LED lights on their LS400, and what (type, brand) did they use. Itd be cool to have pics! also where to get them. i wouldnt change everything tho, ill keep the fog lights theyre too nice!

thanks

Forget HID in a gen 1 LS400 with fluted headlight lenses -- it's not pretty.

Take a look at Eagles Eyes headlights for the gen 1 LS400 -- less than $200 for a set from vendor "Sabersport" on eBay. Several people on this and other Lexus forums, including Python, have installed them and have had good things to say. Here are some photos.

post-2157-1250949260_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1250949275_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1250949292_thumb.jpg

Eagle Eyes FTW!!!!!!! lol B)

HIDs wouldn't work so well with the 1st gen, and 2.1gen. Go for the Eagle Eyes and get a set of Phillips Xtreme white (?) Or my personal fav, Silverstar ULTRAs

Maybe it's just me, but those look cheap and janky as hell. I know there's no good way to upgrade to HID, but I'd rather work with better halogen lighting than put those gaudy things on my car. They scream Honda Civic to me.

Maybe it's just me, but those look cheap and janky as hell. I know there's no good way to upgrade to HID, but I'd rather work with better halogen lighting than put those gaudy things on my car. They scream Honda Civic to me.

ok then i have a set of 9004 hid kit which i had on my 92 that i will sell u,it has the high/low beam option...so yes there is a way to upgrade to hid's...ive had both on my car and the eagle eyes not only put out a better light pattern but clean up the front of the car because the stock flutted lights on the 92 are butt ugly!

Eagle Eyes FTW!!!!!!! lol B)

HIDs wouldn't work so well with the 1st gen, and 2.1gen. Go for the Eagle Eyes and get a set of Phillips Xtreme white (?) Or my personal fav, Silverstar ULTRAs

Im guessing you get the Eagle eyes then you can choose the bulb color/size/intensity you like afterwards?

Im guessing you get the Eagle eyes then you can choose the bulb color/size/intensity you like afterwards?

What you mean "choose bulb color/size/intensity"? Eagle Eyes headlights for the gen 1 LS400 take Halogen H4 bulbs -- also known as type 9003 bulbs. The headlights on your 93 LS uses H4 bulbs so the Eagle Eyes should be "plug and play".

If you want slighty brighter lights, try the clear Wagner Brite-Lite or Sylvania Xtravision bulbs. Some people swear by the blue tinted Sylvania Silverstar bulbs but most research I've read have said that blue tinted bulbs actually put out less usable light. I've read that the clear Xtravision bulbs are sold in Europe as the Silverstar -- the Xtravision bulbs in our Camry provide noticably more light. Both the Wagner Brite-Lite and Sylvania Xtravision bulbs cost far less that the North American Silverstar bulbs.

ok then i have a set of 9004 hid kit which i had on my 92 that i will sell u,it has the high/low beam option...so yes there is a way to upgrade to hid's...ive had both on my car and the eagle eyes not only put out a better light pattern but clean up the front of the car because the stock flutted lights on the 92 are butt ugly!

Maybe you should take a pill, no one is attacking you.

I didn't ask if you could upgrade to HID, I know plenty about the drop in kits. My point is I don't feel the Eagle Eye lights look worth a damn. That's called an opinion.

The OE Celsior lights look the best in my opinion.

I didn't ask if you could upgrade to HID, I know plenty about the drop in kits. My point is I don't feel the Eagle Eye lights look worth a damn. That's called an opinion.

I guess the Celsior headlights look OK but they are made for Japan where they drive on the left side of the road. The Celsior beam pattern is all wrong for countries like the U.S. where we drive on the right side of the road. Celsior headlights would blind oncoming drivers in the U.S. unless the beams were aimed so low that they wouldn't provide decent light to drive behind. Or one could put tape on the Celsior headlight lenses to dampen the beam pattern like they sometimes do in the U.K. / Europe when driving a RHD car in a LHD country and vice versa. The Eagle Eyes headlights appear to be made for North America where we drive on the right side of the road and where the gen 1 LS400 had foglights next to the headlights instead of below the bumper as on the gen 1 LS400 sold in the UK and Europe.

I doubt if the Eagle Eyes headlights would be desirable in Europe since the European gen 1 LS400 has a manual beam adjustment dial for the low beams on the dashboard and an extra set of high beams where U.S. models have foglights.

I think the main reason the Celsior lights look so dated is that the beam pattern is cast into the glass lenses as on the OEM US spec gen 1 LS400 headlights. The Eagle Eyes headlights have clear lenses similar to the headlights used on most modern cars.

IMO opinion the Eagle Eyes headlights look infinitely better than the OEM headlights I had on the 90 LS I drove for over 13 years -- see attached photo of my old white 90 LS and compare it to the photo of Python's car with Eagle Eyes.

I'll throw in a photo of a gen 1 JDM Celsior headlight (sitting on a table) -- reminds of the one piece headlights I had on the 79 Mercedes that was my main car before I bought the 90 LS. They sure don't look pretty to me but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

post-2157-1251168147_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1251168195_thumb.jpg

JDM_LS_headlight.bmp

Maybe you should take a pill, no one is attacking you.

well i dont need to take any pill.....u keep ur stock flutted lights,if that is what ur taste is then fine i could care less...

Hey python,

just noticed that you kept the original outer lights of the ls when installing the eagle eyes.. at least it appears that way. i was going to buy these instantly on ebay but the outer light on the eagle eyes is given me doubts...

well i dont need to take any pill.....u keep ur stock flutted lights,if that is what ur taste is then fine i could care less...

You seem willing to argue with me even though I have stated nothing but my opinion, which you obviously don't like. That's fine, you have the right to disagree. Attacking me for my beliefs though is stupid. So let's bring facts to the table.

Since you're clearly the expert here and no one can challenge your wisdom, are these lights DOT approved? Do they come with all the certificates and paperwork clearing the user for use on public roads? I highly doubt anything you're buying off Ebay from some Chinese supplier meets any sort of requirements for use in the US, nor do they warranty any issues arising from their usage.

Secondly, do you have factual data proving these have a better light output, better beam patterns, are just as safe for oncoming drivers, etc? Can you give anything to clear the debate other than your opinion? Because it's been made readily apparent my opinion is worthless to you, so why should your opinion mean anything to me?

Anyone can say that a particular part is better than another. But without fact to back it up you're still just speaking your mind. And as you've made it known, speaking someone's mind isn't allowed on here.

Ball's in your court now. Maybe with your next reply you can try to use better punctuation and grammar so I can understand what you're writing. I don't read Ebonics.

Woah.. look at my threads starting the heated conflicts!.

Funny, isn't it, that RDM, who stated that his preference is JDM Celsior headlights, dangerous in a country like the U.S. that drives on the right side of the road, would question whether or not Eagle Eyes headlights are DOT approved.

Yes, RDM, the seller of Eagle Eyes headlights states that they are "SAE/DOT APPROVED, 100% STREET LEGAL". I can only go by what the seller says. I guess the seller could be lying. Why don't you find out and report back to us!

RDM, stop throwing around the word Ebonics. I regard the way you used the word Ebonics as offensive and even as a racial slur. Python was communicating using abbreviations and jargon that are perfectly acceptable and common on car forums. I'm highly educated and understand everything that Python said and, by the way, I've come to appreciate him a lot for what he has contributed to this and another car forum in which I participate. Don't go running my down my "bud" -- or is that too slang oriented for you to understand?

Python is a good guy, you and I can both learn a lot from him.

On a lighter note, anyone ever try xenon bulbs? Im i going to burn out my wiring with these, whats the stock wattage?

I've read that some of the non-HID bulbs labeled "Xenon" supposedly have a small amount of xenon gas mixed with the halogen gas to achieve higher output and a little whiter light. I've also read that some of the "xenon" bulbs contain no xenon gas at all.

I really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want better light output from your OEM headlights, my recommendation is to get a set of clear capsule Wagner Brite-Lites or Sylvania Xtravision bulbs. GE used to sell Xenon/halogen mix bulbs but I haven't seen them in the U.S. for several years.

I'd say ... avoid the high wattage 80/100 watt bulbs. I had one explode just after I put it into the the 90 LS I had and it caused a horrible mess that nearly ruined the headlight unit. The evening it exploded was especially hot (100+ F.) and I had been stopped for an extended period in a traffic jam -- that might have contributed to the head build-up and the bulb exploding.

Woah.. look at my threads starting the heated conflicts!.

Funny, isn't it, that RDM, who stated that his preference is JDM Celsior headlights, dangerous in a country like the U.S. that drives on the right side of the road, would question whether or not Eagle Eyes headlights are DOT approved.

Yes, RDM, the seller of Eagle Eyes headlights states that they are "SAE/DOT APPROVED, 100% STREET LEGAL". I can only go by what the seller says. I guess the seller could be lying. Why don't you find out and report back to us!

RDM, stop throwing around the word Ebonics. I regard the way you used the word Ebonics as offensive and even as a racial slur. Python was communicating using abbreviations and jargon that are perfectly acceptable and common on car forums. I'm highly educated and understand everything that Python said and, by the way, I've come to appreciate him a lot for what he has contributed to this and another car forum in which I participate. Don't go running my down my "bud" -- or is that too slang oriented for you to understand?

Python is a good guy, you and I can both learn a lot from him.

Funny that you can't read I suppose. Did I say I was running JDM Celsior lights? No, I did not. I know the legalities of RHD lights. I merely stated my opinion of them which is clear to me the wrong thing to do on this forum unless you like personal and even character attacks. You assume I'm some 16yr old kid who just found this forum because my parents gave me their old, rundown LS400. Again you'd be wrong. You don't know a thing about me. I digress though.

The seller is going to sell the product in any way they can. Are they lying? Maybe. Do I care, no. It's not my place to question a product that I have no interest in. Your 'boy' attacked me simply over a matter of personal taste, nothing more, so I questioned his judgment simply based on the apparent knowledge he seemed to have. If he doesn't have said knowledge, fine. Maybe he should point that out before going on a tangent.

Ebonics is not a racial slur. If you take it that way, there's nothing I can do about it. You're again assuming, in this case that color is an issue, and that maybe you, your friend, and I are all of different ethnic backgrounds, why else would you play the race card? I don't even have anything to say there. Ebonics is to me and as I have read and been informed of just a horrid, cutup version of the proper English language, one that I don't subscribe to. If anything it only gives the writer the suggestion of ignorance, and that being the case why would anyone believe or put faith in their opinion? If you're too busy to type correctly, fine. In my opinion that shows a serious lack of effort on your part, and I don't like lazy people.

Defend your friend all you want, you have that choice. And as you have that choice, I do as well. You may not like it, but coming after me about it is childish and pointless.

Hey python,

just noticed that you kept the original outer lights of the ls when installing the eagle eyes.. at least it appears that way. i was going to buy these instantly on ebay but the outer light on the eagle eyes is given me doubts...

Yeah it looks pretty bad that way...

look im not trying to get in a heated debate here over headlights....sorry if i offended you in any way. i will continue to run with the eagle eyes and u can stay with the stock lights. if u need assistance with engine problems or anything else that i have knowledge of(and believe me i have a lot) i will be more than glad to help u out in the future, btw u=you ur=you're which is short for you are if u cant figure out what im trying to get across by those acronyms maybe u can find this link useful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism have a nice day and try to calm down