1996 Ls400- How The Heck Do You Get The Foglights Out?

El Puko

This is driving me nuts. I have a right fog light out, bought the bulbs and for the life of me can't figure out how to get to the bulb.

Does anyone know how to access the fog lights?

Although some people go to way too much work to remove the battery and air ducts to access the back of the headlights, the method in the bulb replacement instructions is to remove the side lights and then the entire headlight assemblies. As long as you don't touch the beam level screws you can slap the light units back in without having to re-aim the headlights.

There is only one screw holding in the side lights -- you can see it when the hood is open. Remove the one screw and then grasp the forward edge of the sidelight with your finger tips and gently/firmly pull it away from the car body -- it is held in place by a friction fitting. Once the side light is removed it should be obvious how to remove the headlight/foglight assembly.

It may seem difficult to do all this but once you've done it, doing it the next time will probably take you less than five minutes.

If I understand correctly, you just need to replace the bulbs, right? I just installed 2 new fog light bulbs in my '97 LS400, and all you do is remove the one screw holding each of the sidelights on, and pull them out. Once the sidelights are pulled out, you can easily access the fog light bulbs. Just twist and pull.

This is driving me nuts. I have a right fog light out, bought the bulbs and for the life of me can't figure out how to get to the bulb.

Does anyone know how to access the fog lights?

It may seem difficult to do all this but once you've done it, doing it the next time will probably take you less than five minutes.

YOU ROCK!!!!

Thank you SO much!

Was it no longer listed in the owners manual in the 96 models? I know that my 90 and 91 Lexus owners manuals show how to replace the bulbs. I had to change a headlight bulb out on my '91 today... I got the book (owners manual) out because it had been awhile since I had replaced the other. The irony is that the owner manual dont mention a certain nut that has to come off to get the assembly out. :) The parking lights on these cars are a pain in the neck to get on and off... at least this has been my experience on my LSs.

The license plate lights I also replaced and can also be tricky getting the lens/housing to line up.