Got My Tranny Mount Today!

90LS400Lexus

My transmission mount I ordered today arrived! I cant wait to get it on there. I know I will have to look up the instructions here again to change it. It will likely be this weekend before I can get to it. I will post the results!

The new one is so soft and flexible... I cant imagine the original looking/feeling anything like that... no wonder I have vibrations.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My transmission mount I ordered today arrived! I cant wait to get it on there. I know I will have to look up the instructions here again to change it. It will likely be this weekend before I can get to it. I will post the results!

The new one is so soft and flexible... I cant imagine the original looking/feeling anything like that... no wonder I have vibrations.

It would be great if you would do a tutorial with pictures, A good possibility the tutorial would become a sticky ;) B)

It would be great if you would do a tutorial with pictures, A good possibility the tutorial would become a sticky ;) B)

I will definitely consider that. I may borrow my moms camera, so I dont get mine greasy, unless I put it in a baggy or something. lol. :)

It will probably be Sunday evening before I get a chance to do it. I will have to borrow ramps from my grandpa and tools too probably.

Didnt get it changed today... my dad decided this morning he had to use the ramps to take out his clutch on his 69' Camaro to replace it, so I have been delayed a couple of days. <_< Hopefully will get it changed Monday evening or Tuesday.

THEN onto working on the PS pump.... or should I say change it.

Didnt get it changed today... my dad decided this morning he had to use the ramps to take out his clutch on his 69' Camaro to replace it, so I have been delayed a couple of days. <_< Hopefully will get it changed Monday evening or Tuesday.

Did you change the tran mount? Any pics?

what a difference it is going to make - then you will get the fever to replace everything on your LS that mounts with rubber! :lol:

Did you change the tran mount? Any pics?

Nope, not yet. Unfortunately my dad has had the ramps "tied up" with his car up on them. His clutch went out and he had to have it sent off. It came back and he put it on today, but the tranny has to come back out, because something went awry... he said it was not shifting properly, so Lord knows when I will get a turn at the ramps.

Sunday evening hopefully. If nothing else, I will find a big ditch to park it over. lol.

I will take pics too... I will put the camera in a baggy to keep from greasing it up. :)

Is this a new OE rubber mount you're using, or an upgraded one? I'm replacing mine with an Adus urethane mount next weekend, curious if you went that route. It's definitely cheaper.

Hmmm... not sure. I ordered it from a Lexus dealer in Florida. It has "Toyota" stickers on it. I paid $62.00 total (with shipping).

Is this a new OE rubber mount you're using, or an upgraded one? I'm replacing mine with an Adus urethane mount next weekend, curious if you went that route. It's definitely cheaper.

Hmmm... not sure. I ordered it from a Lexus dealer in Florida. It has "Toyota" stickers on it. I paid $62.00 total (with shipping).

I received mine yesterday, part # 1237150060 from Lexus of Roseville, Ca.

they were 36.67 each, (I ordered two for my 97's)

the shipping was 11.00 for one or both total 84.34.

They say Genuine Parts - Toyota

you order by vin# to get the correct parts.

They also had a sticker on them "Lexus Parts World"

post-5365-1251028847_thumb.jpg

post-5365-1251028854_thumb.jpg

post-5365-1251029564_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm... my post I posted before this a little while ago vanished. <_<

Anyway, yes that is cheap. I will check them on the price of the engine mounts when we do those.

FINALLY got the car up on the ramps this evening, but it was getting to late to start on it. Plan is to start on it tomorrow evening when I get home from work.... if I can only find a thread that mentions all of the tools I need and what I need to do. ;)

Hmmmm... my post I posted before this a little while ago vanished. <_<

Anyway, yes that is cheap. I will check them on the price of the engine mounts when we do those.

FINALLY got the car up on the ramps this evening, but it was getting to late to start on it. Plan is to start on it tomorrow evening when I get home from work.... if I can only find a thread that mentions all of the tools I need and what I need to do. ;)

Hi, I copied this from someone:

finally changed my transmission mount. Here is what you need to do:

Drive the car up on a ramp (I used a Rhino Ramp)

Use the jack that came with the car, together with a piece of wood, to even out the pressure point, and apply jack on tranny pan. You need to apply just enough jacking force to lift the tranny about 1/2 inch.

Behind the tranny pan, you will notice a cross member. This cross member is held to the chassis by 4 14mm bolts. There will also be 4 12 mm nuts that holds the tranny mount towards center of this crossmember.

Remove the 4 nuts in the center followed by the 4 bolts on the crossmember, remove the crossmember.

You will be able to see the tranny mount. The tranny mount is held to the tranny by 4 bolts. Remove the 4 bolts and remove tranny mount.

Install new tranny mount.

Alldata list torque figures for the 12mm nut at 10 pounds and the 14 mm bolt for the cross member at 19 pounds. Is this correct? Anyone please care to comment?

My old mount's rubber was pretty much squashed to the point that it was metal on metal. See attached pics:

Notice that there is barely 1/8 of inch of space. With the weight of the tranny, I am sure that it was metal on metal - this means all the vibration will come through

I did not have the time to take the car for a drive but I immediately noticed less vibration at idle. I am sure that the motor mounts are probably shot. However motor mounts are $110 each and labor is another $250 or so. It is too difficult a job for me to undertake.

The tranny mount took me 30 minutes, the mount cost about $56 delivered from Park Place Lexus. It is a really cheap solution for those looking to reduce vibration. Anyone can do it.

Thanks for that Billy. I will print it and take it out with me. I am going to try to take my camera and do a step-by-step tutorial and post it here for others. I just wanted something to go by.... I also didnt want the tranny to fall out and crush me. lol. Thanks again!

Hi, I copied this from someone:

finally changed my transmission mount. Here is what you need to do:

Drive the car up on a ramp (I used a Rhino Ramp)

Use the jack that came with the car, together with a piece of wood, to even out the pressure point, and apply jack on tranny pan. You need to apply just enough jacking force to lift the tranny about 1/2 inch.

Behind the tranny pan, you will notice a cross member. This cross member is held to the chassis by 4 14mm bolts. There will also be 4 12 mm nuts that holds the tranny mount towards center of this crossmember.

Remove the 4 nuts in the center followed by the 4 bolts on the crossmember, remove the crossmember.

You will be able to see the tranny mount. The tranny mount is held to the tranny by 4 bolts. Remove the 4 bolts and remove tranny mount.

Install new tranny mount.

Alldata list torque figures for the 12mm nut at 10 pounds and the 14 mm bolt for the cross member at 19 pounds. Is this correct? Anyone please care to comment?

My old mount's rubber was pretty much squashed to the point that it was metal on metal. See attached pics:

Notice that there is barely 1/8 of inch of space. With the weight of the tranny, I am sure that it was metal on metal - this means all the vibration will come through

I did not have the time to take the car for a drive but I immediately noticed less vibration at idle. I am sure that the motor mounts are probably shot. However motor mounts are $110 each and labor is another $250 or so. It is too difficult a job for me to undertake.

The tranny mount took me 30 minutes, the mount cost about $56 delivered from Park Place Lexus. It is a really cheap solution for those looking to reduce vibration. Anyone can do it.

Well, good and bad news! Good news - I am amazed and have a great dad... I came home from work today and my dad had changed my transmission mount! I had crawled under there and saw the new shiny mount! Bad news is there was no photos tutorial, that I was going to do. Obviously its pretty easy though! :)

He came by and said it took him about 10 minutes to change it... so he said anyway. :)

The old one is all smooshed up like everyone elses I have seen at this age. I have not driven the car, but I started it and did not feel that "rotation" type vibration that it had before. I still feel some, but thats probably the engine mounts! A task for later. I will drive it tomorrow and see how it feels. I am also no hearing that noise I was hearing before when placed in reverse.

Thanks for all of the advice and info!

Here is the old mount....

013-1.jpg

012.jpg

I've been reading on the site about mounts (engine and transmission). Would you tell me please what mounts do besides address vibrations? Don't they also address other kinds of noise problems? Thanks, franck

The urethane mounts are actually cheaper, the engine mounts are only $32 each, transmission mount is $43 IIRC. I'm hoping to get mine in end of the week. For those inquiring, the transmission mount is as easy as it sounds, just brace the transmission and drop the crossmember and mount, swap it, put it back up. It's cake. Engine mounts don't look to be as fun but it's a similar deal to do them.

The mounts you guys bought are the OE rubber one, a little softer, but it lasted 15+ years, so should the new one. I'm just a fan of urethane and would like a tighter feel.

The urethane mounts are actually cheaper, the engine mounts are only $32 each,

Well, I am sure the engine mounts on our '91 are toast too if the tranny mount was that bad. Tell me more about them... where can they be purchased? OEM cheapest I had found were $90 each and I was quoted $150 to change the engine/tranny mounts (but I have already done the tranny mount obviously), so maybe that Toyota tech I know will do it a little cheaper for the engine mounts only.

Thanks.

I've been reading on the site about mounts (engine and transmission). Would you tell me please what mounts do besides address vibrations? Don't they also address other kinds of noise problems? Thanks, franck

Well, on my 91, I was also hearing a clank occasionally when shifted into gear. Its gone now. I am also getting a "buzzing" sound when the engine temp is cold... I think its outside panel under the windshield vibrating because of the engine mounts.

I know the engine mounts are more involved, so it may be awhile before we address those.... my next mission is a new power steering pump! :o

The urethane mounts are actually cheaper, the engine mounts are only $32 each, transmission mount is $43 IIRC.

i did'nt think any other product types were available - :huh: what manufacturer are selling these and is the urethane mounted to genuine brackets?

would be nice to have a link - cause my next project is the engine mounts....after i fix my power steering issue.

B)

The urethane mounts are actually cheaper, the engine mounts are only $32 each, transmission mount is $43 IIRC.

i did'nt think any other product types were available - :huh: what manufacturer are selling these and is the urethane mounted to genuine brackets?

would be nice to have a link - cause my next project is the engine mounts....after i fix my power steering issue.

B)

I dont think RDM knows what he is talking about. I have looked everywhere for ls400 mounts and the best I can find are:

1990 to 2000 Lexus LS400 Engine Motor Mount OEM STYLE $74.95

http://lexus-car-parts.macautoparts.net/Mo...roductInfo.aspx

sure hope I'm wrong....... waiting

B)

I dont think RDM knows what he is talking about. I have looked everywhere for ls400 mounts and the best I can find are:

1990 to 2000 Lexus LS400 Engine Motor Mount OEM STYLE $74.95

http://lexus-car-parts.macautoparts.net/Mo...roductInfo.aspx

sure hope I'm wrong....... waiting

Urethane is a much stiffer compound anyways - not sure what the equation would be when applied to stabilization mounts that are designed to absorb/reduce vibrations/frequencies. Probably better applied to just suspension parts

The urethane mounts are actually cheaper.......... I'm just a fan of urethane and would like a tighter feel.

Tighter feel? This isn't suspension related so what feel are we speaking of? Do you like the feel of your gas tank mount? The exhaust system mount? Feel you say....fan of urethane....sounds subjective. I'll defer to the Lexus engineers that designed the mount for a certain load, dampening impact and lifetime. I doubt they chose rubber compound arbitrarily.

The urethane mounts are actually cheaper.......... I'm just a fan of urethane and would like a tighter feel.

Tighter feel? This isn't suspension related so what feel are we speaking of? Do you like the feel of your gas tank mount? The exhaust system mount? Feel you say....fan of urethane....sounds subjective. I'll defer to the Lexus engineers that designed the mount for a certain load, dampening impact and lifetime. I doubt they chose rubber compound arbitrarily.

I'm with you curiousB.

Lexus KNOWS what they are doing. do you think 75 bucks each is a good price?