Got My Tranny Mount Today!

90LS400Lexus

** AH, drove the car to work today with the new tranny mount! So much smoother! It still has a slight vibration, but nothing like it was before. Most impressive is the shifts of the transmission now. SO MUCH SMOOTHER shifting now with the new mount. I can hardly feel it shift now. I am also not hearing that clank when I shift into gear. I imagine with new motor mounts, it will be a smooth as new again! :)

I cant wait. Will have to wait awhile though. :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think RDM knows what he is talking about. I have looked everywhere for ls400 mounts and the best I can find are:

1990 to 2000 Lexus LS400 Engine Motor Mount OEM STYLE $74.95

http://lexus-car-parts.macautoparts.net/Mo...roductInfo.aspx

sure hope I'm wrong....... waiting

Nice attitude, calling a guy a liar without researching. Why would I state something not in fact?

www.mybushings.com

I posted a link last week. I have both engine mounts and the transmission mount sitting in my toolbox awaiting installation. $31.50 for the engine mounts, like $43 for the transmission mount.

Tighter feel? This isn't suspension related so what feel are we speaking of? Do you like the feel of your gas tank mount? The exhaust system mount? Feel you say....fan of urethane....sounds subjective. I'll defer to the Lexus engineers that designed the mount for a certain load, dampening impact and lifetime. I doubt they chose rubber compound arbitrarily.

Rubber is used on all cars from bushings to mounts because it's cheap. On a luxury car, like the LS400, the designers didn't want anyone feeling anything from the drivetrain period. So they make soft, mushy rubber mounts that have a lot of give, open your hood and rev the engine, it moves a lot. You don't feel it inside though. Problem is, rubber wears out a lot faster, especially with as much play as the mounts are designed with. There is no lifetime on a rubber mount even though you insist it, I've pulled engines from newer, lower mileage cars than my LS400 with torn and ripped mounts. They are a wear item and do just that. There's nothing wrong with replacing them with new OE mounts, but they'll still wear again just like the originals, they cost more, and they're still mushy.

I prefer urethane (this is opinion, I know how you guys like to jump on people for speaking their minds, but relax) because it's more solid. Instead of loosing torque through the drivetrain while the engine slops around, it stays firm. Same with the transmission, you go over a bump and the shifter isn't bouncing around in it's mounting. You get a slight bit more NVH transmitted through the chassis depending on the type of car, but I doubt with as much insulation as the LS400 has it'll ever be noticed. Even if it's noticeable, it's a 17yr old car. There's bound to be buzzing or rattling panels somewhere in the car anyway.

Again I'm speaking of what I prefer. Nowhere did I say this is law, or that anyone has to follow my lead. I find it odd that the members of this forum are so quick to attack anyone who's merely speaking their mind. If you don't agree, you have that right, but there's no need to belittle them because of it.

I dont think RDM knows what he is talking about. I have looked everywhere for ls400 mounts and the best I can find are:

Nice attitude, calling a guy a liar without researching. Why would I state something not in fact?

www.mybushings.com

I posted a link last week. I have both engine mounts and the transmission mount sitting in my toolbox awaiting installation. $31.50 for the engine mounts, like $43 for the transmission mount.

WELL,!! wash my mouth out with RDM soap.....

he not only told the truth, but told us where to get them....

I went there and bought BOTH mounts for less than ONE was going to cost me... WOW

thanks RDM, I humbly ask for your forgiveness....

I promise to be more careful in the future.. (course I',m 75+ and prone to forget, cut me some slack)

I cant wait to get them.. I will put them in and I can give you a real comparison, since I have two 97's.

thanks again RDM.... cheers

.I am also going to do a timing belt/tuneup/w.pump combo with my tranny mount.

smile.. here is my stuff, the wires are just for backup purposes.

post-5365-1251416385_thumb.jpg

I went there and bought BOTH mounts for less than ONE was going to cost me... WOW

I promise to be more careful in the future.. (course I',m 75+ and prone to forget, cut me some slack)

I cant wait to get them.. I will put them in and I can give you a real comparison, since I have two 97's.

no offence intended RDM, just wanted to know where to buy them , and I did. thanks. bp

post-5365-1251418042_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to report that I still occasionally have that "bucking" on light acceleration as the grade of the road changes. Its like there is "slack" somewhere and it will lunge unevenly back and forth. I am hoping its the motor mounts. If not, I am afraid its the torque converter, or so I was told by someone else. :( I thought these transmissions lasted longer than 200K miles. My car was never abused and has only received the best service. Of course, someone else also said it could be the throttle body needs cleaned. Hmmm.

The transmission shifts flawlessly... smooth and smooth.

Unfortunately, I forgot to report that I still occasionally have that "bucking" on light acceleration as the grade of the road changes. Its like there is "slack" somewhere and it will lunge unevenly back and forth. I am hoping its the motor mounts. If not, I am afraid its the torque converter, or so I was told by someone else. :( I thought these transmissions lasted longer than 200K miles. My car was never abused and has only received the best service. Of course, someone else also said it could be the throttle body needs cleaned. Hmmm.

the trannys do last, mine have 238 & 243k on them and are smooth. could it be a misfire or something? are you using premium fuel?

post-5365-1251458684_thumb.jpg

www.mybushings.com

:o very nice link....that's pure awesome sauce.

thanks for posting - due to the not so bad pricing - and the car being 8 years out of warranty - might check into it myself. please post feedback on the install and end results guys. B) probably a good optional replacement for those who arent dead serious on Lexus O.E. parts.

definately might consider the suspension parts for sure.

hope it turns out well! ;)

;)

:lol: congrats on your smooth shifting!! feels good dutnit? i also have that same "bucking" issue on my 95ls - but mine is more related to the TPS - seems like it feeds too much air fuel on low throttle and it "bucks " for half a second. still working on it.

like you, my engine mounts are next - having more options to shop from is a good thing. next week im taking the plunge and ordering my parts - from where is still in the air for now.

:P

no offence intended RDM, just wanted to know where to buy them , and I did. thanks. bp

Sorry for jumping on you, had a bad day debating other topics on here. Seems Lexus owners don't like opinions. Anyway, they're exact copies of the OE parts, and though I haven't had my OE off yet, they feel stiffer but not overly harsh. I'm thinking it will bring it back to the OE feel with just a bit more firmness. I've dealt with urethane parts on all my other cars in the past and these have a little more compliance, so it's good for those owners who don't like the idea of a 'race car' ride.

thanks for posting - due to the not so bad pricing - and the car being 8 years out of warranty - might check into it myself. please post feedback on the install and end results guys. B) probably a good optional replacement for those who arent dead serious on Lexus O.E. parts.

;)

I'm all for OE when it fits, but seriously, Lexus parts pricing is ridiculous sometimes. I've just bought a full front end parts assortment of tie rods, ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, bushings, etc. all aftermarket, the OE parts netted nearly what I paid for the car and that was insane. I don't mind paying the price if there's no other option, but even going used is a better choice most times than trying the dealer. When I switched up to 1994 rocker and door mouldings I paid almost $160 in just plastic clips to secure it all. I'm still feeling the burn of that one.

Unfortunately my install is postponed due to a severe laceration on my knee I received on a customer's car, so it'll be a few weeks. If anyone else gets there's done first I'd like to hear feedback.

Sorry for jumping on you, had a bad day debating other topics on here. Seems Lexus owners don't like opinions. Anyway, they're exact copies of the OE parts, and though I haven't had my OE off yet, they feel stiffer but not overly harsh. I'm thinking it will bring it back to the OE feel with just a bit more firmness. I've dealt with urethane parts on all my other cars in the past and these have a little more compliance, so it's good for those owners who don't like the idea of a 'race car' ride.

;)

I'm all for OE when it fits, but seriously, Lexus parts pricing is ridiculous sometimes. I've just bought a full front end parts assortment of tie rods, ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, bushings, etc. all aftermarket, the OE parts netted nearly what I paid for the car and that was insane. I don't mind paying the price if there's no other option, but even going used is a better choice most times than trying the dealer. When I switched up to 1994 rocker and door mouldings I paid almost $160 in just plastic clips to secure it all. I'm still feeling the burn of that one.

Unfortunately my install is postponed due to a severe laceration on my knee I received on a customer's car, so it'll be a few weeks. If anyone else gets there's done first I'd like to hear feedback.

just got an email from mybushings,

Billy,

I'm terribly sorry to have to disappoint you, but our warehouse lady has

just informed me that although our inventory listing shows the ADUS #9200

engine mounts as being in stock, this is incorrect, as the last pair were

sold last week.

We are going to try and locate 2 more for you over the weekend from another

supplier ,

so I am waiting on a new shipment and then I will get mine in and report...

cheers, bp

post-5365-1251494890_thumb.jpg

the trannys do last, mine have 238 & 243k on them and are smooth. could it be a misfire or something? are you using premium fuel?

Well, thats what I was thinking. I had no issues with my old LS and it had over 260K miles.... and mine still shifts fine... just has that "bumping" to it.

:lol: congrats on your smooth shifting!! feels good dutnit? i also have that same "bucking" issue on my 95ls - but mine is more related to the TPS - seems like it feeds too much air fuel on low throttle and it "bucks " for half a second. still working on it.

like you, my engine mounts are next - having more options to shop from is a good thing. next week im taking the plunge and ordering my parts - from where is still in the air for now.

:P

Yes it does! I was amazed at how much smoother the shifts are... while driving and while shifting into gears R/D.

I wish I knew for sure what the bucking/lurching was... its enough to bobble my head sometimes and its annoying... its like something has too much slack. :(

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here and I wanted to tell you guys I appreciate all the info.

I have a 1991 Ls 400 and I am having the same vibrations you guys are talking about. I felt this a long time ago and the first thing that came to my head was engine mounts. It feels like the engine is sitting on the body. After reading this thread yesterday, I purchased both engine mounts and the transmission mount. Should be here in a couple of days.

I jacked up my car and climbed underneath today. I pushed up on the transmission at the driveshaft and let it back down and heard a clunk. It is definitely metal on metal. After seeing the pictures of the old mounts in this thread, I knew I also needed new mounts. The clunk confirmed my thoughts.

Looking forward to a smooth ride.

I work on vehicles for a living and I'm planning on changing all the mounts as soon as they come in. I will let ya'll know the easiest way to change the engine mounts after I get it done.

I am planning on restoring my vehicle back to factory condition, so I went ahead and purchased the 1991 Lexus LS 400 Service Manuals from Toyota Publishing. It comes in three separate manuals, engine, chassis, and electrical. When you stack them up all together they are over 6 inches thick. TONS of info.

But even so, I can't find anything in there about changing engine mounts. I guess they never had one go that far to make it into the manual. I'll have to do it the old fashion way - trial and error.

Jerry

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here and I wanted to tell you guys I appreciate all the info.

I have a 1991 Ls 400 and I am having the same vibrations you guys are talking about. I felt this a long time ago and the first thing that came to my head was engine mounts. It feels like the engine is sitting on the body. After reading this thread yesterday, I purchased both engine mounts and the transmission mount. Should be here in a couple of days.

I jacked up my car and climbed underneath today. I pushed up on the transmission at the driveshaft and let it back down and heard a clunk. It is definitely metal on metal. After seeing the pictures of the old mounts in this thread, I knew I also needed new mounts. The clunk confirmed my thoughts.

Looking forward to a smooth ride.

I work on vehicles for a living and I'm planning on changing all the mounts as soon as they come in. I will let ya'll know the easiest way to change the engine mounts after I get it done.

I am planning on restoring my vehicle back to factory condition, so I went ahead and purchased the 1991 Lexus LS 400 Service Manuals from Toyota Publishing. It comes in three separate manuals, engine, chassis, and electrical. When you stack them up all together they are over 6 inches thick. TONS of info.

But even so, I can't find anything in there about changing engine mounts. I guess they never had one go that far to make it into the manual. I'll have to do it the old fashion way - trial and error.

Jerry

Welcome to the club jp :cheers:

Not a great illustration, but this might help:

EngineMounts.jpg

Thanks Blacktop,

The illustrations are nice but unfortunately it shows that everything is out of the way. I wish it were so. I've changed motor mounts before and they only have a few bolts holding them on, that is not the problem, the trouble is getting to the bolts with everything else in the way.

I will let you know if I have to take anything loose to get to them. It gets kind of crowded under there.

Once again, thanks for the info, I'll use it the best I can.

Jerry

The hesitation, or bucking on light acceleration is pretty common from what I recall reading about it here when I got my LS400. What I found was to eliminate it entirely took a few steps:

1. Cleaning the throttle body/plenum made the most difference.

2. Having a tuneup performed, (plugs, wire harness, fuel filter etc.)

3. Transmission fluid change with filter.

I had the hesitation on light throttle and kind of a bucking sensation common around 45 mph. Again, step 1 made the biggest difference, but all the problems didn't go away 100% until the wear items were replaced in steps 2 and 3.

Got a little bad news on my engine mounts:

this came from MyBushings:

Hi Billy,

We are going to have to pass you a credit for the #9200 Lexus LS 400 engine

mounts you ordered.

We have just not been successful in locating engine mounts for your cars

from our suppliers. You may be able to find some sellers online if you

search around, but it seems that the prices being asked are quite a bit

higher than the prices we were selling at.

Because our suppliers are also talking of substantial increases in the

future, we may stop carrying the #9200 engine mount in our inventory.

I'm really sorry that we haven't been able to help you this time, but we

hope that you will allow us to be of service at some future time.

well, I guess thats that.

Thanks guys for the plethora of info on this thread. I think I have finally nailed the vibration I am getting on the highway. Let me know what you think. The car is a 1998 Ls400 144,000 miles with air suspension (that still works perfectly, knock on wood)

1. The vibration is almost like it is gas pedal sensitive, but only above 60mph. (Little to none or no throttle, but worst at about 1/4-1/2 throttle.)

2. One of my wheels has a minor bend in it but I have had them balanced and when I first bought the car it had the wheels and the vibration was non-existent.

3. As your driving the vibration will come and go in intensity, sometimes it is really bad sometimes its minor and just annoying or its gone.

4. If I go 1/2 to WOT it does not happen at any speed (I took it up to 120mph and as long as I was on the throttle there was no vibration.)

After reading this thread I think this could just be tranny mounts, but I just want a second opinion, Thanks! :cheers:

Thanks for that data. Its good to know that its not the transmission. I thought that the torque converter was causing it. I thought the tranny mounts were causing the "bucking" under light acceleration between 35-50 too, but its still doing it even with the new mounts.

I will have the throttle body cleaned by a mechanic know. Since my mom is getting the car in 3 weeks, my car can do the plugs. I think the tranny fluid/filter had already been done about 25K ago, so it may be OK for awhile longer.

He will also have to address the power steering pump and motor mounts. For some reason, the valve covers seem to have "sealed themselves" for awhile anyway. No more of that occasional puff of smoke I was seeing from under the hood from oil burning on the valve cover gaskets and it dont have that oil burning smell in the engine bay anymore... its been gone for about 6 months.... thats strange. <_<

The hesitation, or bucking on light acceleration is pretty common from what I recall reading about it here when I got my LS400. What I found was to eliminate it entirely took a few steps:

I had the hesitation on light throttle and kind of a bucking sensation common around 45 mph. Again, step 1 made the biggest difference, but all the problems didn't go away 100% until the wear items were replaced in steps 2 and 3.

Thanks for that data. Its good to know that its not the transmission. I thought that the torque converter was causing it. I thought the tranny mounts were causing the "bucking" under light acceleration between 35-50 too, but its still doing it even with the new mounts.

I will have the throttle body cleaned by a mechanic know. Since my mom is getting the car in 3 weeks, my car can do the plugs. I think the tranny fluid/filter had already been done about 25K ago, so it may be OK for awhile longer.

He will also have to address the power steering pump and motor mounts. For some reason, the valve covers seem to have "sealed themselves" for awhile anyway. No more of that occasional puff of smoke I was seeing from under the hood from oil burning on the valve cover gaskets and it dont have that oil burning smell in the engine bay anymore... its been gone for about 6 months.... thats strange. <_<

Thats awesome, it seems like Lexus cars will heal themselves. My brothers ES300 was doing the same thing with the valve cover gaskets for a few months, but now it has stopped. B)

Thats awesome, it seems like Lexus cars will heal themselves. My brothers ES300 was doing the same thing with the valve cover gaskets for a few months, but now it has stopped. B)

lol... thats what I was thinking, but today when in a drive-thru, I noticed a puff of smoke blow out from under the hood. :( So maybe its not healed itself. Strange, because when most cars have leaky valve covers, its more of a steady smoke, but on this car its occasional heavier puffs of smoke that come and go every so often. Maybe its where its coming off as a drip from somewhere and onto the manifold or muffler.