It Won't Turn Off...help!

da_fugative_7

Ok..I have a 91 LS400 with about 231K miles. As I pulled up at my house and turned off the motor, I heard a small rumble. I put my ear to the dash and thought 4 a sec that it was the fans from the engine. So I exited the car and then put my ear to the hood. I decided to pop the hood and to my surprise the engine was still running without the key in the ignition. I turned the key off and on several times and the engine still was running. So I got my wrench and disconnected the battery cable and the engine stopped. I have never had this problem b-4 so can you guys/gals give me an idea of what's wrong and what repairs are required if any and how much...? As always, your help is greatly appreciated....

Ok..I have a 91 LS400 with about 231K miles. As I pulled up at my house and turned off the motor, I heard a small rumble. I put my ear to the dash and thought 4 a sec that it was the fans from the engine. So I exited the car and then put my ear to the hood. I decided to pop the hood and to my surprise the engine was still running without the key in the ignition. I turned the key off and on several times and the engine still was running. So I got my wrench and disconnected the battery cable and the engine stopped. I have never had this problem b-4 so can you guys/gals give me an idea of what's wrong and what repairs are required if any and how much...? As always, your help is greatly appreciated....

I could check that...but if not that, then what...? Let me know...

The ignition switch is the only thing that will allow the engine to continue running after turning off and removing the key. When the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, it basically kills primary power to the coil and stalls the engine. Unless the coils are getting 12V power from somewhere else, you have a bad ignition switch. Also by disconnecting battery cable your vehicle should continue to run from power provided by your alternator and should not shut down. If you have a remote start system on your car this could also be the cause so do your research and let us know how this problem is solved.

good point quack...if u have something else wired into ur ignition like a fan or stereo or something it might let power go through, if u have had no work done to ur car and it just started doing this then i would say its ur ignition switch