Slightly Off Topic...toyota Camry Hybrid?

Anyone own one or driven one?

We want to take advantage of the cash for clunkers program and trade our '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a good hybrid commuter car for the wife. She currently drives our RX400h.

I switch between my BMW rag-top and the Jeep (for sloppy weather). We figure it's the best deal we could get for the Jeep, NADA trade value is about $2000 and it would qualify for the $4500 cash for clunkers deal.

We want to keep the RX for a long time because we really like it. A Camry or other non-expensive hybrid for the wife's commute would allow us to keep the miles low on the RX and still allow her to use the HOV lanes (single driver can use them in VA with a qualifying hybrid).

The other reasonably priced hybrid options could be the Prius or Honda Insight. I think they're both too small (possibly dangerous) and the Prius is supposed to drive like crap.

The Camry is allegedly the best selling car in the US for 8 of the last 9 years. I assume there's a reason for that.

Any information or opinions are appreciated.

Consumer Reports magazine ran an article on hybrid payback some time ago and they noted that the Camry Hybrid produced the shortest payback period. While I don't have one to directly compare to our RX400h, I have read nothing but good things about the Camry Hybrid.

I'm not sure where you read that the Prius doesn't drive well, but from what I've inferred from a few road tests in car magazines, the Prius is now more "upscale" - quieter, better ride, and more efficient than it was before. Car magazines like car & Driver always downgrade a vehicle that does not handle like a sportscar, no matter how comfortable, quiet, efficient, or reliable it may be. This is why they prefer the Honda Insight; its only advantages being that it handles better and cost less.

The Prius is a very safe car. Ours is an '04, and I don't like the driving position or how it drives, but the all new '10 is a MUCH better car in these regards, I would buy a 2010 Prius over a Camry Hybrid probably...

We want to take advantage of the cash for clunkers program and trade our '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a good hybrid commuter car for the wife. She currently drives our RX400h.

I switch between my BMW rag-top and the Jeep (for sloppy weather). We figure it's the best deal we could get for the Jeep, NADA trade value is about $2000 and it would qualify for the $4500 cash for clunkers deal.

We want to keep the RX for a long time because we really like it. A Camry or other non-expensive hybrid for the wife's commute would allow us to keep the miles low on the RX and still allow her to use the HOV lanes (single driver can use them in VA with a qualifying hybrid).

The other reasonably priced hybrid options could be the Prius or Honda Insight. I think they're both too small (possibly dangerous) and the Prius is supposed to drive like crap.

The Camry is allegedly the best selling car in the US for 8 of the last 9 years. I assume there's a reason for that.

Unless you already have a VA clean fuel plate issued before July 2007 or can transfer your RX plates you won't be able to qualify for new ones.

Would you buy it new or used? I guess it depends on what qualities you're looking for.

I've driven in a friend's mom's prius a few times. The only thing i remember not liking was the lack of power. If i was ever in a situation where i needed to get out of the way or merge or pass someone, it wouldn't let you.

The toyota camry hybrid has a 0-60 time of 7.7sec (only a little more than the rx400h time of 7.2).

The pruis has a 0-60 time of 10.5sex

Yes the mileage is better in the prius, but it sacrifices power and looks.

The prius was designed with one thing in mind- gas mileage. Appearance came after.

The camry was designed with both in mind.

Would you buy it new or used? I guess it depends on what qualities you're looking for.

I've driven in a friend's mom's prius a few times. The only thing i remember not liking was the lack of power. If i was ever in a situation where i needed to get out of the way or merge or pass someone, it wouldn't let you.

The toyota camry hybrid has a 0-60 time of 7.7sec (only a little more than the rx400h time of 7.2).

The prius was designed with one thing in mind- gas mileage. Appearance came after.

The cash for clunkers program requires the purchase of a new car; a used one does not qualify.

someone, it wouldn't let you.

Actually, on a full charge, the RX400h does 0-60 MPH in 6.7 seconds - that's faster than a Porsche Cayenne S.

The new 2010 Prius looks great to me; I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.......

I spent an entire day taking the Rx400h from 0-60, and i couldn't get a better time of 7.2s (that using my pro laser II to test). I also can't get the battery to get to a full charge. I've been driving the thing for about a month, and i haven't seen a full battery.

I recently saw one of the commercials for the new Ford Fusion Hybrid. From the commercial they made it seem really nice and high quality.

But they also make the new lincoln (?) look nice on the commercials- then you get in one, press on the dash and hear all these squeaks etc. The interior quality cannot compete with Toyota, i don't care what anyone else says. I'm just not a believer that a Ford will outlast any Toyota out there.

You'll never see a full battery charge, its not designed to continually be completely full...

As for the Prius and looks, the new Prius is MUCH better looking than the old one IMHO. I actually kinda like how the new one looks.

I told my wife I would buy a new Prius in an instant if she would trade the old one...no deal!

The Lincoln MKS I drove was very tight with a VERY high quality interior, much nicer than the ES350 IMHO. I'd seriously look at a Fusion Hybrid over a Camry Hybrid.

Unless you already have a VA clean fuel plate issued before July 2007 or can transfer your RX plates you won't be able to qualify for new ones.

That's for I-395, I-66 still qualifies and that's the one we need. BTW, you can't even transfer your Clean Fuel Plates for I-395 use anymore. You sell/trade the hybrid with the old plates, you're screwed.

We traded our Jeep clunker on a new 2010 loaded Prius yesterday. :D

Inventories are SO low everywhere that we were lucky to get it (they made me give a credit card deposit to hold it for a few hours until my wife could get there to check it out). They also wouldn't discount it a penny, no surprise.

It was in the color combo we wanted (red/tan). She test drove it and thought it was fine. Visibility is sort of weird but should only require a short adjustment period.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I'll report back after a little more time with it.

I'm optimistic that it was a good choice.

Congrats! Which package did you get?

It's the IV package and has leather and nav. We didn't think we wanted/needed the nav but I actually used it twice today when I was running a couple of errands, so it can be handy.

Power seats with memory would be nice, but once we get the "clean fuel" plates and it becomes the wife's commuter car (she gets to use HOV), I'll rarely drive it.

It seems like a nice car. The spoiler across the middle of he rear window is an annoyance but it'll just take a little adjustment.

We wanted to unload the Jeep in the clunkers program so it definitely sweetened the deal and made it worth doing.

Pleased with it so far. I'll report back later.

Nice! The Nav is worth it just for the backup camera IMHO.

Yeah the power seats would be nice, but be THRILLED with the seat adjustments. Our 04 Prius is fully loaded and has NO seat adjustments. They go forward and backward and recline...thats it. Its one of the major gripes about the previous Prius and everyone was ELATED when the '10 had a full set of adjustments.

Its good you were able to get a Prius without a wait too...Now off to join www.priuschat.com with you! I'm on there too...you think we're nuts? Those people are nuts.

Nice! The Nav is worth it just for the backup camera IMHO.

Yeah the power seats would be nice, but be THRILLED with the seat adjustments. Our 04 Prius is fully loaded and has NO seat adjustments. They go forward and backward and recline...thats it. Its one of the major gripes about the previous Prius and everyone was ELATED when the '10 had a full set of adjustments.

Its good you were able to get a Prius without a wait too...Now off to join www.priuschat.com with you! I'm on there too...you think we're nuts? Those people are nuts.

Without the seat height adjustment, it might have been no deal because the wife is only 5'2". And the tilt/telescopic steering wheel allows her to be in a comfortable position on the pedals and not have the wheel right in her face.

The salesman at the dealer is one of their top guys and I can see why, he was quite pleasant to deal with. When I called him Wed, he said that was the last Prius they had available IF it had not been sold the night before. He required a credit card deposit to hold it until my wife could get there to test drive it. Maybe that was BS but I don't think so. It was also in our preferred colors.

Apparently there were a lot of positive changes on the '10 model. It's a little bigger. Power was increased (1.5 liter to 1.8 liter gas engine) and there's a button on the the center console which increases power (albeit at the expense of some gas mileage). But when a car gets 50 mpg, a slight reduction in mpg (even if it's 20%) for additional power makes a lot of sense. There's also ECO (less power and more mpg) and EV (essentially electric only) modes.

I'm impressed by the interior volume. This is not a "compact" car.

Another added benefit is that this dealer offers what they call an "Auto-For-Life" program. They will cover the power-train for the life of the car as long as we own it. We just have to get regular maintenance done by them. It cost $0.

BIG changes for 2010, the car was all new. Yeah its actually not a compact car at all, its an EPA midsized size class.

The CC deposit wasn't BS, with the cash for clunkers program they are VERY hard to get.

I like the styling of both generation prius', especially the taillights. They're indeed cool looking; when you see one, you definitely think new-age hybrid.

I can't believe how good the mileage is on them, it's rediculous. And their crash ratings are pretty good too- thought they'd have to sacrifice safety because of weight, but toyota pulled it off.

You really can't go wrong with a toyota... :) Good luck with yours :cheers:

The mileage isn't THAT great. In the real world ours gets about 40MPG, although the 2010 is supposedly better and there are a lot of members on Priuschat who are arounf 50MPG. Good...but there are a lot of cars that get that kind of mileage.

The mileage isn't THAT great. In the real world ours gets about 40MPG, although the 2010 is supposedly better and there are a lot of members on Priuschat who are arounf 50MPG. Good...but there are a lot of cars that get that kind of mileage.

I was just perusing the preliminary 2010 fuel economy guide http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/FEG2010.pdf (lots of good info at http://www.fueleconomy.gov ) and don't see a lot of cars aside from the Prius that get 50mpg.

The 2009 guide is actually more detailed (the 2010 guide is preliminary) http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/FEG2009.pdf and it appears that the Honda Civic Hybrid at 45mpg is in the ballpark in highway mileage, but not so much in city mileage.