Gas Mileage

jaybe

I moved from a 1993 to 2000 LS. It seems like I am only getting 16 mpg on my newer car, where on my 1993 I was averaging 18-19 mpg. I think the weight and size of the cars is the same, With VVTi and 5 speed trany, I think I should be getting better gas mileage not worse . Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what to check or do?

Thanks JAYBE

I moved from a 1993 to 2000 LS. It seems like I am only getting 16 mpg on my newer car, where on my 1993 I was averaging 18-19 mpg. I think the weight and size of the cars is the same, With VVTi and 5 speed trany, I think I should be getting better gas mileage not worse . Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what to check or do?

Thanks JAYBE

I am selling my 2000 ls 400 and have owned in for 3 years. I put a KN filter in it, cleaned the throttle body and MAS run semi syn oil. At 65 mph without the ac I can get over 30 MPG on the highway. Around town maybe 20 mpg. Check your spark plus too and make sure they are gapped right. Also make sure you fluids are up to spec too. You should be fine after all that.

GDF

Thanks JAYBE

I am selling my 2000 ls 400 and have owned in for 3 years. I put a KN filter in it, cleaned the throttle body and MAS run semi syn oil. At 65 mph without the ac I can get over 30 MPG on the highway. Around town maybe 20 mpg. Check your spark plus too and make sure they are gapped right. Also make sure you fluids are up to spec too. You should be fine after all that.

GDF

It may be the type of tire that you are using. I have a 06 gs430, when I purchased the car it had run flats on it. I did not like the ride but I was getting anywhere from 22-25 mpg. I went to pilots and I started getting around 20-21mpg. that may also be the case with you.

Thanks JAYBE

Have you tracked your mileage in your 2000 LS over a number of tankfuls and are you driving it like your 93 LS? When I say track your mileage I mean calculate your milege exactly -- divide miles traveled by gallons used ... don't do "s.w.a.g." estimates.

Have you had your 00 LS long? I know I probably "stick my foot into the thottle" more with my 00 LS than I did with my 90 LS -- just for the sheer fun of it. Certainly doesn't help my gas mileage. Do you find yourself "enjoying" the much greater power of your 00 LS?

I remember commenting to my wife last weekend that the trip computer on the 00 LS said that the tank mpg was 16.something mpg when the tank was probably less than half full. If I'm driving mainly on surface 35-45 mph streets the gas mileage on my 00 LS often descends into the 16 mpg range. The 5th transmission gear doesn't help gas mileage much in low speed city driving.

Thanks JAYBE

Have you tracked your mileage in your 2000 LS over a number of tankfuls and are you driving it like your 93 LS? When I say track your mileage I mean calculate your milege exactly -- divide miles traveled by gallons used ... don't do "s.w.a.g." estimates.

Have you had your 00 LS long? I know I probably "stick my foot into the thottle" more with my 00 LS than I did with my 90 LS -- just for the sheer fun of it. Certainly doesn't help my gas mileage. Do you find yourself "enjoying" the much greater power of your 00 LS?

I remember commenting to my wife last weekend that the trip computer on the 00 LS said that the tank mpg was 16.something mpg when the tank was probably less than half full. If I'm driving mainly on surface 35-45 mph streets the gas mileage on my 00 LS often descends into the 16 mpg range. The 5th transmission gear doesn't help gas mileage much in low speed city driving.

jaybe, you might be interested in knowing that, when I filled the gas tank of my 2000 LS400 over the weekend, the trip computer said that the tank average was 16.7 mpg during the previous 170 miles driven. Most of the driving during that 170 miles was on 25-45 mph streets with perhaps 10 to 20 miles on 60-65 mph highways. Having driven in the Seattle area A LOT (many relatives there), I would expect your gas mileage would be lower than mine due to (what I think is) the Seattle area's substantially higher level of traffic congestion.

jaybe, you might be interested in knowing that, when I filled the gas tank of my 2000 LS400 over the weekend, the trip computer said that the tank average was 16.7 mpg during the previous 170 miles driven. Most of the driving during that 170 miles was on 25-45 mph streets with perhaps 10 to 20 miles on 60-65 mph highways. Having driven in the Seattle area A LOT (many relatives there), I would expect your gas mileage would be lower than mine due to (what I think is) the Seattle area's substantially higher level of traffic congestion.

Thanks for your reply. I notice the feel of the 2000 versus the feel of my previous 93 is substansially different. Different ride and, of course different acceleration. I am still trying to adjuust to the new ride. Its hard to believe the car is the same size and weight. I have a tendency to be a little heave on the exeleration, until I get used to it

I notice the feel of the 2000 versus the feel of my previous 93 is substansially different. Different ride and, of course different acceleration. I am still trying to adjuust to the new ride. Its hard to believe the car is the same size and weight.

Really! I drove my 13 year old 90 LS400 into the Lexus dealer in 2003 and test drove a low mileage off-lease CPO 2000 LS400 and a new 2003 LS430 back-to-back. It was surprising how little the 2000 LS400 felt like the 90 LS and how it felt much more like the LS430.

The coolest thing about buying a 2000 LS400 in the same color combination as my 90 LS400 - at least to me - was that few people realized I was driving a different car. I sometimes alternated driving the two -- the 90 LS one day and the 00 LS the next. It was fun to watch people slowly figure it out after they rode in the 00 LS ... I remember my mother saying something like "Wait a minute! Is this a different car?"

post-2157-1249331412_thumb.jpg

nice twins. your 90 looks exactly like mine. I haven't driven a LS430 so I can't note the difference. I sometimes drive my wife's 04ES330 and that is very different. The 90 just feels much lower which I like.

I notice the feel of the 2000 versus the feel of my previous 93 is substansially different. Different ride and, of course different acceleration. I am still trying to adjuust to the new ride. Its hard to believe the car is the same size and weight.

Really! I drove my 13 year old 90 LS400 into the Lexus dealer in 2003 and test drove a low mileage off-lease CPO 2000 LS400 and a new 2003 LS430 back-to-back. It was surprising how little the 2000 LS400 felt like the 90 LS and how it felt much more like the LS430.

The coolest thing about buying a 2000 LS400 in the same color combination as my 90 LS400 - at least to me - was that few people realized I was driving a different car. I sometimes alternated driving the two -- the 90 LS one day and the 00 LS the next. It was fun to watch people slowly figure it out after they rode in the 00 LS ... I remember my mother saying something like "Wait a minute! Is this a different car?"

most other car models 10 years apart like your snow white twins doesnt fare near as well in asthetics and quality. you are a blessed man indeed. now you just need a 95' model to be the middle child!

:P

I have a 95LS400 bought in 2003 which consistently gives 24-25 mpg highway and 18-19 mpg in city.

I bought 02LS430 a month ago and its mileage is more or less the same (drove about 3,500 miles so far - 2 out of town trips).

On long rides, the trip computer showed 25.6 mpg tank average.

most other car models 10 years apart like your snow white twins doesnt fare near as well in asthetics and quality. you are a blessed man indeed. now you just need a 95' model to be the middle child!

:P