Today's The Day!

NCJean

Hi, All!

I'm doing it today! :D

I finally made my decision (after months of researching and looking and waiting) and today I'm getting that 1999 Lexus LS400 I've been watching. It's only got 50,000 miles on it. It's beautiful: Alpine metallic (199), has traction control but does not have the dreaded air suspension.

I want to first of all thank this whole board and forum for existing! You guys provide a lot of information that's been really helpful. Secondly, if anyone has any additional suggestions, hints, etc. I'd love to hear them. I'm taking it to my mechanic Monday and having him go over the car. (I'm getting it from Carmax, so I can bring it back within 5 days if anything major is wrong.) I'm also going to have him replace the timing belt, since it's 10 years old. Any opinions on whether I should have him replace the water pump as well?

I know it's a biggish expense, but I view this car as a beautiful and classic investment which will hopefully last me for many, many, many more years and miles.

Once again...thanks for all your help!

NCJean

Welcome to the club :cheers: You will enjoy one of the finest automobiles on the planet for many, many years ;) I would change the water pump. Enjoy your new purchase, And don't forget to stop home every once in a while :lol::lol::lol:

Congrats! They are great cars! B) I would change the water pump, idler pulleys, tensioner, and crank seal while they have your car apart. I'll attach the PDF for the CBES options. My dealer only wanted $40 to change about 6 of them. My favorites are the one click to unlock all doors, one click for the trunk instead of press and hold, and they turned off the auto tilt and tele for the steering wheel.

CBES.pdf

Hi, All!

I'm doing it today! :D

I finally made my decision (after months of researching and looking and waiting) and today I'm getting that 1999 Lexus LS400 I've been watching. It's only got 50,000 miles on it. It's beautiful: Alpine metallic (199), has traction control but does not have the dreaded air suspension.

Congrats welcome to the club!

I want to first of all thank this whole board and forum for existing! You guys provide a lot of information that's been really helpful. Secondly, if anyone has any additional suggestions, hints, etc. I'd love to hear them. I'm taking it to my mechanic Monday and having him go over the car. (I'm getting it from Carmax, so I can bring it back within 5 days if anything major is wrong.) I'm also going to have him replace the timing belt, since it's 10 years old. Any opinions on whether I should have him replace the water pump as well?

Yeah the timing belt sucks but you have to do it. Also the water pump; the tensioners and all the associated gaskets (usually it all comes as a kit). I just sucked it up and did it but now feel much less nervous when i have to really floor it. B)

With that low mileage some stuff might be wearing out from lack of use. The accessory drive belt might also be dried out; and i'd have them also check the radiator cap and hoses. Also some of the bushings in the front suspension might be drying out; sometimes you can just lube them up.

Also check out the door and sunroof seals; if they seem a little dry spray some Sonus or Aero 303 protectant on them... this solves a lot of strange creaking noises.

We want pix!

Congrats! They are great cars! B) I would change the water pump, idler pulleys, tensioner, and crank seal while they have your car apart. I'll attach the PDF for the CBES options. My dealer only wanted $40 to change about 6 of them. My favorites are the one click to unlock all doors, one click for the trunk instead of press and hold, and they turned off the auto tilt and tele for the steering wheel.

Thanks, for the PDF file, Blake. I printed it out.

You guys are great!

J.