Clear Coat Coming Off In Spot (pics)

what should i do about this spot? the clearcoat appears to be coming off just in this one spot... it's on the rubber piece that is painted between the roof and the side by the corner of the rear window of my is300... id like to do something to keep this from getting worse! any help is much appreciated! thanks!

matt

post-51082-1247073712_thumb.jpg

post-51082-1247073738_thumb.jpg

If you don't want to remove the trim piece to fix it, I would start by using 1000 grit and just sand as small an area as you can but of course sanding the whole spot. Then tape off that spot real good and hit it with a few coats of clear. The unfortunate part is you'll really need to do it with automotive clear, and not the spray can type. Give it a few coats to build it up. Then pull the tape off and wet sand it down smooth with 2000 grit. But if your ok with pullin that trim piece off, then I would still sand that small area down, reclear the whole strip, and then reinstall it. OR the spot is on the trim piece right above the rear window? You could also just get a rear window spoiler, have it painted to match the car and put that on. Then I would just dab a bit of clear on that spot to keep moisture out first and put the spoiler on over it.

I would just apply a coat of automotive clear touch up (comes in a pen form or small bottle) maybe one coat daily, until the hole is covered completely and slightly raised above the surrounding area. Then wetsand with 1000 grit using a small sanding block, then move to 1500grit and polish with 3m scratch remover... It will hide it really well, just make sure the paint has had a few days to cure before sanding :)