My Tranny

lexfourcam

well i was checking the transmission fluid the other day and it smelled like it was burning something. i took it to my transmission shop and drove the guy around and he said most likely the clutches are burned up. i didnt think the clutches would burn out at 116k.

well i was checking the transmission fluid the other day and it smelled like it was burning something. i took it to my transmission shop and drove the guy around and he said most likely the clutches are burned up. i didnt think the clutches would burn out at 116k.

What year is your car? Did you ever have the Tranny serviced?

Geezz. A guy goes to a car shop with the simple problem of dirty transmission fluid, has no other symptoms of problems, and gets told the most expensive part is burned out. :angry:

Anyone else hear the b/s alarm going off on this one? If I were you, I'd find another shop, specifically one that specializes in Toyota/Lexus cars. You DON'T take a Lexus to your local Firestone shop, ever, never, period!

Go to the Toyota dealership, buy a box of transmission fluid type IV and do a couple drain n' fills yourself over the course of the next few hundred miles. Do a search on here for "drain and fill" and read up on how to do it "it's easier than changing the oil - just one of the easiest accesible bolts on the car is all it takes".

Are you having any shifting problems? If your fliud has been low for awhile you can definetely burn up the clutches no matter how many miles are on the car. Since you said it smelt like something burning this might be the case, although I would try what nc said before I even think about a rebuild.

thanks for the replies guys. yea i got the tranny flushed about a year ago, and now im wondering if they even put the right fluid in. i'll get some fluid today and it and see what happens. its shifting pretty bad, and noticed my temperature gauge only gets hot while im driving. when its sitting still in my garage it doesnt get hot till i put it into gear, and drive it around the block

Yes, it is possible that your transmission is shifting badly because the mechanics put in the "wrong" (not toyota type-IV) transmission fluid when you had your transmission flush or your transmission could have other problems. But I would start with the minor fixes to the problem. As NC211 said, I would start by doing a transmission flush and put in the prescribed transmission fluid by your lexus dealer. Hope your problem is fixed with just a tranny flush!

so after seeing no change in my car after i changed the fluid i decided to take it into the shop. my tranny guy called me up to look at it and the clutch plates looked burnt. the new plates he showed me still had the numbers from the manufacturer. im gettin the whole thing rebuilt everything inside the case will be brand new and hes puttin in a new torque converter. i'll let you all know how she runs afterward.

so after seeing no change in my car after i changed the fluid i decided to take it into the shop. my tranny guy called me up to look at it and the clutch plates looked burnt. the new plates he showed me still had the numbers from the manufacturer. im gettin the whole thing rebuilt everything inside the case will be brand new and hes puttin in a new torque converter. i'll let you all know how she runs afterward.

Let us know what the bill was too!