Standard?

Hello,

I recieved this email from the Chevy Dealership I bought my car from. Im not at 55K yet. It was my understanding that until 60K service I did not have much to worry about. Right now im at mid 53 k. So i was planning to change oil & rotate tires @ 55 but that was it.

Sooooo.....would all this be necessary by my fellow lexus owners standards...or is the chevy dealer looking to make a score?

Regards.

Your 2005 Lexus Gs 300 is due for its 55,000-Mile Service.

VIN: *****************

Services recommended by your manufacturer and Bical Chevrolet include:

INSPECT STEERING LINKAGE & BOOTS

INSPECT BRAKE DISCS/ROTORS

INSPECT CHASSIS' BODY NUTS & BOLTS

RESET ENGINE OIL REPLACEMENT REMINDER LIGHT

INSPECT BALL JOINT & DUST COVERS

ROAD-TEST VEHICLE

ROTATE TIRES

INSPECT AIR CLEANER/ELEMENT

INSPECT DRIVESHAFT/PROPELLER SHAFT DUST BOOTS

INSPECT BRAKE PADS

REPLACE ENGINE OIL

REPLACE ENGINE OIL FILTER

RE-TORQUE DRIVESHAFT/PROPELLER SHAFT FLANGE

*Please disregard any recommended services that have been recently performed.

Manufacturer-recommended service data provided by Mitchell1 based on vehicle make, model and year.

Did a maintenance manual come with your car? It should be in the same package as the owners manual. If you didn't get one, you can get a replacement from a Lexus dealer. The maintenance manual for your car lists the worked recommended for each service. Some of the recommended tasks are overkill unless you are operating your car under unusually harsh conditions which are also spelled out in the maintenance manual.

Thanks for the reply.

My apologies. Should have taken the time. Purchased the car used & it came w. no manual. I did order one but it is back in Connecticut where I am originally from & will eventually move back to.

I feel the same. My car does not take much abuse at all. I like to do things the right way, but i agree....some of these things sound like an overkill. Ill stick to oil change & tire rotation until my 60k maintenance. Unless there are other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Your 2005 Lexus Gs 300 is due for its 55,000-Mile Service.

VIN: *****************

Services recommended by your manufacturer and Bical Chevrolet include:

INSPECT STEERING LINKAGE & BOOTS

INSPECT BRAKE DISCS/ROTORS

INSPECT CHASSIS' BODY NUTS & BOLTS

RESET ENGINE OIL REPLACEMENT REMINDER LIGHT

INSPECT BALL JOINT & DUST COVERS

ROAD-TEST VEHICLE

ROTATE TIRES

INSPECT AIR CLEANER/ELEMENT

INSPECT DRIVESHAFT/PROPELLER SHAFT DUST BOOTS

INSPECT BRAKE PADS

REPLACE ENGINE OIL

REPLACE ENGINE OIL FILTER

RE-TORQUE DRIVESHAFT/PROPELLER SHAFT FLANGE

*Please disregard any recommended services that have been recently performed.

Manufacturer-recommended service data provided by Mitchell1 based on vehicle make, model and year.

Ask them how much they charge to do all that inspecting. May be worth it if free or cheap. Any time your car is up on a lift, they like to look for problems anyways. Then you are most likely to have them do the work verses if you had to discover a problem later you might take it elsewhere. Any time I get under my car I do a full visual inspection as a minimum. I've thus caught things early on before the problem escalates. For example I've discovered torn c.v. boots (not the Lexus), which if not fixed promptly, can let grit into the c.v. joints leading to needing joint/axle replacement. That was on a Nissan, but you get my drift. I would "disregard any recommended services that have been recently performed", as they suggested.

I would suggest looking for either a Lexus dealer, Toyota dealer, or Independent shop listing Lexus/Toyota as a specialty or with an experienced Lexus mechanic. The dealer should have more of the common parts on hand. Most mechanics would do just fine on most Lexus problems, but having experience with a brand can help.

Thanks, you make some solid points there.

I never planned on taking the car to that Chevy dealer. That is where i bought the car used in N.Y. City. I currently live in Pittsburgh. A LOC member referred me to an independent Lex mechanic in the area so I plan to take it there when needed. I am still 1500 miles away from 55K but I just wanted to get some opinions.

Has anyone else heard that the "Head Mechanic" at any Toyota dealer is required to be certified to work on Lexus? A co-worker w. an LS 400 told me that last night. He said he has his maintenance done at Toyota dealership but requests the Head Mechanic for that reason. Anyone else ever heard /known that?

Again good looks w. the replies.

Regards.