Rx300 - 2003 -- Services At 90000

sairam

My RX300 (2003) is coming upon the 90000 mile service. The dealership quotes $1650 for this service -- involves timing belt change, flush all fluids, replace wipers, inspect a bunch of stuff, oil change, replace ac and air filters. No water pump replacement. A non dealer service shop (ASE certified mechanics using NAPA parts) quotes $750 for replacing timing belt and water pump.

If some of you all can help me with a couple of questions, I will be very grateful!

* Is it risky to go with a ASE certified shop using NAPA parts as against going in for Lexus dealer?

* Can I hold off on the timing belt replacement for about 10000 more miles? Would i be pushing it if i waited another six months to spend this money?

thanks for your time and help!

It is not an exact science. The timing belt could probably make it a lot more than another 10,000 miles but I wouldn't recommend stretching it out too far. FYI, the timing belt replacement interval for the RX in Europe is 150,000 km -- that's 93,000 miles.

Are there any independent repair shops in Memphis that specialize in Lexus and Toyota? I've used mainly independent Lexus repair shops where I live and the service and prices has been substantially better than the local Lexus dealer. Ask around. Ask other Lexus owners when you see them at the gas station and in parking lots.

A few other parts besides the water pump are normally replaced with the timing belt -- e.g. idler and tensioner. Personally, I wouldn't use NAPA parts -- the cost savings would be minimal. Most of the cost is labor.

If you choose to use a mechanic that does not normally work on Lexus vehicles, I suggest that you ask him how many timing belts he's changed on an RX, ES or Toyota V6 engine.

Should be able to go an easy 115k on timing belt. then order parts at partsgeek.com the mitsubosi belt is an OEM belt. You can order an Aisin water pump which is also OEM manufacturor.....

My RX300 (2003) is coming upon the 90000 mile service. The dealership quotes $1650 for this service -- involves timing belt change, flush all fluids, replace wipers, inspect a bunch of stuff, oil change, replace ac and air filters. No water pump replacement. A non dealer service shop (ASE certified mechanics using NAPA parts) quotes $750 for replacing timing belt and water pump.

If some of you all can help me with a couple of questions, I will be very grateful!

* Is it risky to go with a ASE certified shop using NAPA parts as against going in for Lexus dealer?

* Can I hold off on the timing belt replacement for about 10000 more miles? Would i be pushing it if i waited another six months to spend this money?

Toyota dealerships are cheaper than Lexus dealerships and they use the exact same parts.

Their labor rate is just lower than Lexus's.

If I were to go to an independent shop, I would go to Toyota dealership and buy the timing belt, water pump, Toyota ATF T-IV, and etc for your car because Toyota dealership has parts cheaper than Lexus dealerships and they are the exact same parts.

MAKE SURE YOU USE ALL TOYOTA PARTS AND FLUIDS!!!

They work the best and last the longest!!!

Getting cheaper ones costs you couple dollars less but you will have to change it more often and can screw up your systems.

Also Toyota OEM Timing belts can last over 150,000miles but if it breaks while you are pushing it, they can't fix it for you because you went over their recommendation for how long it should be used.

It is entirely up to you and a lot of people I know changed it little bit over 100,000 miles.

I have a lot of experience with RX330 but RX300 is basically the same just simpler than the RX330.

I have done oil change, air filter change, cabin air filter change, transmission fluid change and etc.

I have a lot of experience with my car so if you have any questions just ask me.

My goal is to do the steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, transfer case and differential fluid change :D

If its any help I just went through the same service. I have 02 rx300 with 110K miles Id suggest calling around around and finding a certified shop that will do just your timing belt. Like mention earlier Toyota shops charge less

I got a Toy dealer here for 300+tax and free diag of the engine and all belts & hoses. I Flushed all fluids, replace wipers,, oil change, replaced ac and air filters, flushed tranny, & diff all myself I suggest getting a Chiltons manual for assistance I haven't been to the library in say 10 year if not more but 10 minutes getting a library card and I paid 0.00 to borrow a Chilton manual for the rx300/highlander.

All in all i think I spent maybe 400.00 next up is upgrading the exhaust

• 2 months later...

My RX has about 95K on it and I have read discussions where dudes are getting 184K and even one guy who had 200K on his original timing belt. I got a quote from an independent shop to replace the water pump and timing belt for $505. I then called the local Toyo shop who wanted $790 but also said they'e replace the two other belts exterior to the engine. So I settled for a friend of a friend to do it. He is a Master Mechanic at a Lexus dealership. He charged me $500 which included a timing belt, water pump, topped off brake fluid, wiper fluid and did an oil change with oil filter. I am going to change out the tranny fluid with type IV. He also checked the brakes, tires (which will need replacing soon since at 4/32) and made a recommendation for me to replace the intermediate exhaust pipe and crush seals since he heard an exhaust leak there. Not too bad for $500....