99 Lexus Rx300 Engine Vs. 01 Toyota Highlander Engine

snaylor07

I have a 1999 RX300 in dire need of a new engine. When I go to look up new engines for it, there is an option for AWD and 2WD. I have AWD, but is there any difference in the engines? Also, I was wondering if a 2001 Toyota Highlander engine is interchangeable with mine? The numbers for the engines match up, and if so, do I get the 4WD or 2WD engine(if there is a difference)?

I have a 1999 RX300 in dire need of a new engine. When I go to look up new engines for it, there is an option for AWD and 2WD. I have AWD, but is there any difference in the engines? Also, I was wondering if a 2001 Toyota Highlander engine is interchangeable with mine? The numbers for the engines match up, and if so, do I get the 4WD or 2WD engine(if there is a difference)?

Why don't you simply order the engine to match exactly what you have. That way you have a leg to stand on if it is wrong. I don't understand why you would order something different than what you have (unless it is a lower price).

Check out the motor mount positions, my neighbor had a highlander and got a engine, had to return it, the block was not drilled for the extra motor mount on the Crankshaft pulley end of his highlander. Same engine, but apparently they are not all motor mount interchangeable. May have something to do with the AWD versus FWD. Be careful. Returning the engine is a pain, and you might have to eat the cost.