Your 0.2 Cents Please

91LS400pilot

My last complete brake job (four wheel pads, silencers and rotors resurface) was done by the dealer for $657.28 in 4/24/01-100,872 miles. During one of the routine oil changes in 04/03/04-116,228 miles I asked the dealer to check the brakes too. He said the pads had still another 75% life. Now at 130,000 I do not have any brake problems yet but I try to be pro-active.

Do you see any signs for any repairs?

Left Front

DSCF0334L_ca.jpg

Right Front

DSCF0340R_ca.jpg

That dark ring/band is a little concerning. It looks like a portion of the rotor overheating rather than even heat across the entire cross section. Maybe just the photo and lighting. If you have plenty of pad left, no shimmy when you brake, and feel there is no appreciable drag when the brakes are not depressed then I guess no worry.

That dark ring/band is a little concerning. It looks like a portion of the rotor overheating rather than even heat across the entire cross section. Maybe just the photo and lighting. If you have plenty of pad left, no shimmy when you brake, and feel there is no appreciable drag when the brakes are not depressed then I guess no worry.

The ring/band is there, it is not the photo, that's why I posted the pictures.

What is approximately the minimum pad thikness?

Thanks,

If the work was done by the dealer I assume he used genuine Lexus pads. I had a bad experience installing bendix pads on my own. They were a semi metallic (I believe OEM pads are ceramic) and I think this contributed to warping of the front rotors. I resurfaced rotors and went back to OEM pads and its been problem free for >8 months. I’d stick to OEM or a premium pad if you go non OEM.