Es330, Oem Reasonable Battery Life Expectancy ?

I'v got a 2004 ES330 with the original battery. The "Eyeball" on the battery shows GOOD. Can someone give me the reasonable life expectancy of the OEM battery???

From one of the Toyota "parts" web sites, claims that they are quite expensive, around $500.00 is this correct ??

If so, why so much higher than a new Delco or other name brand battery ????

Thanks for your help !!!!!

I replace batteries in my cars every 3 years as a maintenance item. I'd say after 3 years they are unreliable, and after 5 they are on borrowed time.

Just buy any battery. My lexus dealer charges $130 to replace the battery.

I replace batteries in my cars every 3 years as a maintenance item. I'd say after 3 years they are unreliable, and after 5 they are on borrowed time.

Just buy any battery. My lexus dealer charges $130 to replace the battery.

1 way to know if a battery is near its life is to check for amps, cranking power and voltage charging. visit Kragen or other parts stores. they have the right tools to measure this for you. simply replace a battery every three years is not very practical. a performance battery can go 5 - 7 years on 8+ years warranty, depending how many times you turn on the car each day.

Take your battery to Autozone and have it load tested for free. If you get 5 years on a battery then you are ahead of the game. Anything after that is sauce for the goose so to speak. You do not have to replace with the Toyota (Panasonic) battery when it dies. Die Hard, Optima, Interstate are all reputable companies. Just get one with the cold cranking amps adequate for your winter climate.

steviej

simply replace a battery every three years is not very practical.

How is it impractical? A battery costs $80 and is replaced in my garage in far less time than it takes to take the car somewhere and have the battery tested. If I have a car for 10 years, thats roughly 3 times I have to replace the battery for a cost of about $240. If i have spend hours, and money having it tested and lets say I save one replacement and make them last 5 years (which is a long life for any battery) then I've saved $80 and thats assuming I was having it load tested for free.

Or I can spend the additional $80 over a vehicle's 10 year lifespan which equates to an additional ownership cost of $8 per year and never have to worry about the battery failing. I can afford an additional $8 a year.

Battery every 3 years means you never have to worry about your battery failing you on that first cold day of winter, or after sitting at the airport for 2 weeks. Seems pretty practical for me.

it doesn't take hours to get a battery tested and you don't have to make a special trip for it. you can have the battery tested while you buy parts @ Autozone or Kragen. i am sure you visit part stores at least 2-3 times a year. Removing the battery is not necessary. takes 5 minutes to test anyway.

you can change a battery every 3 years. but you can't avoid battery failures sometimes. i had 2 batteries failed on me within 2 years of warranty on 3 different cars. so go figures. . .

simply replace a battery every three years is not very practical.

How is it impractical? A battery costs $80 and is replaced in my garage in far less time than it takes to take the car somewhere and have the battery tested. If I have a car for 10 years, thats roughly 3 times I have to replace the battery for a cost of about $240. If i have spend hours, and money having it tested and lets say I save one replacement and make them last 5 years (which is a long life for any battery) then I've saved $80 and thats assuming I was having it load tested for free.

Or I can spend the additional $80 over a vehicle's 10 year lifespan which equates to an additional ownership cost of $8 per year and never have to worry about the battery failing. I can afford an additional $8 a year.

Battery every 3 years means you never have to worry about your battery failing you on that first cold day of winter, or after sitting at the airport for 2 weeks. Seems pretty practical for me.

I see three more batteries having to be disposed of before they actually have to be in a society that already has too much waste that is hard to dispose of.

On a side note, I fear what will happen when the hybrid batteries start to crap out and need to be replaced/disposed.

steviej

You could purchase a decent battery tester, one that will give you a digital readout of the CCA capacity for app the price of one battery. For some people who have several cars, the payback are soon realized. You can have peace of mind knowing that you will not be stuck roadside, and not be adding to the recycling pile.

• 8 months later...

Steve's...both Steviej & SW...what batteries are you currently running? I still have the original one in my ES...no issues...but I think this will be the last winter before it needs replacement & can you confirm that it's a group 24F or 35 that the ES needs? I'm pretty sure the 24F is the correct size with the smaller group 35 as a backup option.

:cheers:

Thanks camlex...that explains the straining on the really cold starts lately.

I have my eye on an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus group size 24F....CCA's - 800....also an 84 month warranty. Anyone currently have or have used this battery?

:cheers: