Anyone Know The Labor Cost For Lower Ball Joints?

amcdonal86

I'm selling my '97 LS to my parents and I think my ball joints need to be replaced because I hear a popping noise occasionally when turning the wheel to the right.

I requested a quote by email from a local shop, but they don't open until tomorrow. Does anyone know roughly how much it will cost? I really don't think I have it in me to replace them myself. Thanks!

The car has about 97k miles.

It's a very easy job; it takes less than an hour per side (using a floor jack and no air tools). It seems like you spend more time jacking the car up and removing wheels than you will replacing the ball joints. I wouldn't pay for more than 2 hours labor.

There was TSB which was issued..have a look may help you.

When I had mine replaced back when i had my lexus, the parts were $22 and labor was less than $200. I could have done it myself, Just didnt have the time....

It's a very easy job; it takes less than an hour per side (using a floor jack and no air tools). It seems like you spend more time jacking the car up and removing wheels than you will replacing the ball joints. I wouldn't pay for more than 2 hours labor.

Awesome. Are we talking about the lower ball joints? I was looking at the LexLS.com tutorials and it looked like I had to remove the entire front wheel assembly to get that piece out!

Thanks for the help everybody!

I had a lower ball joint fail on me while driving one of my LS400's...

I replaced it myself at my school and it can be done in 30 mins if you know what to do. Very very easy job. All you really need is a floor jack, jack stand, a socket set, and a BFH (Big F***ing Hammer)

the ball joint cost $74 from Oriely's.

Use the LexLS tutorial as reference, but he is replacing the lower control arm and ball joint so he removed the strut. You don't need to do that at all, just remove the ball joint.

I marked the LexLS picture with what you should remove and X'd out the lower control arm. Just remove the 4 nuts on the ball joint (3 on the bar, 1 on the ball joint itself) and then you can take it right off.

flowerarm10.jpg

Ditto what the others said. The lowers are an easy job, less than an hour per side at home. Even the uppers/control arms are pretty easy to change out.

Paul

Awesome. Are we talking about the lower ball joints? I was looking at the LexLS.com tutorials and it looked like I had to remove the entire front wheel assembly to get that piece out!

Yep, I'm talking about the lowers. All you have to do it disconnect the tie rod end, remove the two bolts that hold the ball joint to the knuckle, remove the nut that attaches the ball joint to the lower control arm, and pop the ball joint out with a puller. It's very easy and straight forward (not nearly as bad as a strut rod!). ;)