1990 Ls400 Transmission Fluid Type Iv

glenmore

.....must....hold....back.....

....must......show.....restraint.......AAAAAAAARRRRRGH!!!

....whew... :rolleyes: THAT was close.

"WHY DON'T YOU SEARCH n00b!!!!!"

LOL :lol: Is that what you were going to say Mark???? :rolleyes: hahaha

Jk man! :D but yes the ONLY fluid to use is Toyota Type T-IV. Think about it this way.. Do you want to save yourself $50 NOW, Just to have tranny problems not too far down the road? Then you'll get stuck with a FAT bill to replace a tranny :D Spend a little extra now, and get it done proper.

Don't skimp on it... but try to find the best price. Maybe contact Carson Toyota, or Parts.com

Is there a part number for the Tranny Fluid? ?

Part number is 00279-000T4 for a case of 12 quarts and 00279-000T401 for a single quart. If you find the right dealer, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive you can acquire the fluid for, so no reason to struggle to find the Mobil equivalent...it will not be any cheaper, as you can find a Toyota dealer willing to sell a case of Toyota T-IV for less than $44.

Jeff

.....must....hold....back.....

....must......show.....restraint.......AAAAAAAARRRRRGH!!!

....whew... :rolleyes: THAT was close.

Jk man! :D

...yes...but i had to conjure up all the power i could muster to resist....so i formally apologize to those of you that experienced a blackout earlier...

hope you find the deal you are looking for Glenmore :) we could all use a deal in these times.

Jk man! :D but yes the ONLY fluid to use is Toyota Type T-IV. Think about it this way.. Do you want to save yourself $50 NOW, Just to have tranny problems not too far down the road? Then you'll get stuck with a FAT bill to replace a tranny :D Spend a little extra now, and get it done proper.

Don't skimp on it... but try to find the best price. Maybe contact Carson Toyota, or Parts.com

Is there a part number for the Tranny Fluid? ?

Just because you repeat something often enough doesn't make it so. All that does is prevent additional information from being learned. If you bother to go to the link, it is clear that Mobil 3309 ATF is OEM for our Lexus transmissions. That is good to know. It is even likely that Mobil is the manufacturer of Toyota Type IV. For practical purposes though, this doesn't really help because nobody seems to stock Mobil 3309. Ebay had some for about $5/qt. My local Lexus dealer ($72/case) was actually cheaper than the Toyota dealer ($86/case) for Type IV.

Thanks all for the pointers to where to get it cheaper.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Dude... calm down... take a Zanex.... I was joking (if you couldn't tell)

OEM Fluid for our earlier LS's was Toyota Type-II. Toyota Type T-IV has since replaced Type-II. And yes sir lots of different companies have their different equivalent of T-IV. . . .

But at the end of the day, they are different enough to cause problems.

Stay with Toyota Type T-IV

...its all in good spirit fellas...this is just such a controversial subject!

I'm not knocking Mobile 3309 or any other knock off down....i just dont see it in my recomended fluid type in my manual is all...

Im sure Mobile has probably R&D thier product to the specifications of the tranny they go into and placed the product strategically in the market to get a piece of the pie - and sure enough it does exactly what the label says it does...meets or exceeds the recomended etc.

if its your preference...go for it! these LS's are way out of warranty anyways :P

OEM Fluid for our earlier LS's was Toyota Type-II. Toyota Type T-IV has since replaced Type-II. And yes sir lots of different companies have their different equivalent of T-IV. . . .

That's Xanax ..........................and I did .....................and I ................zzzzzzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks all,

glenmore

That's Xanax ..........................and I did .....................and I ................zzzzzzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks all,

glenmore

HAHAHA :lol: :lol: Touche my good sir :cheers:

Hi Glenmore, thanks for your excellent post a year or so ago on the engine mount replacement. :cheers: It saved me a lot of time and made a hard job go smoothly. I wish more of the posts on this forum were as useful and well informed as that one.

As far as I can tell, the Mobil 3309 is not just equivalent to the Type T-4, it is IDENTICAL to it. As in Mobil makes it and Toyota labels it at Toyota Type T-4 ATF. If you can't find the 3309, it doesn't really help though.

Regarding buying a case of Type T-4 at Carson, it may not work. I tried to buy a case at Park Place Lexus (with free shipping due to the order being > $100) and was denied - they don't ship cases of ATF. I wish they would make it clearer on the website, but I guess some people order the parts and pick it up.

I ended up calling around to the local Lexus and Toyota dealer, and got a case for a little less than $5/qt, after walking in to the Toyota dealer and asking for a discount for buying a case. So there's my tip/advice, hope it helps. It's only saving about $40 over full price, but it's always nice to pay less than full price for the best part.

As far as I can tell, the Mobil 3309 is not just equivalent to the Type T-4, it is IDENTICAL to it. As in Mobil makes it and Toyota labels it at Toyota Type T-4 ATF. If you can't find the 3309, it doesn't really help though.

Where did you get this info?

I did some further searching and found this:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11368

Now I don't feel so bad. See how Volvo screws their loyal customers over the same thing!

They also mentioned this topic being hashed over in the bobistheoilguy.com website. If you want to argue about oil, this is THE place.

Thanks all,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

...indeed interesting. i even read the Mobile 3309 .PDF on thier website - its seems specifically designed for the Aisin Transmissions...

...BUT! theres always a but around here :P i believe it still comes down to preference on what is most available, and how people feel about what product label they use in thier cars..even though its the same fluid.

If i was driving a clunker, i would definately use a cheaper brand label if indeed it is the same stuff.

but we are driving no clunkers my friend! i have to stick with what i know is a for sure thing, if Toyota slaps thier name on it - then i know for sure its good!

Great research anyways!

:cheers: