Why Will My Hood Not Latch?

What?

The other night I could not get my hood to fully latch. I may have closed it too hard in the first place but it would close and catch, but not fully lock down. I was thinking I ****** up my hood latch closing the hood with force. I was in the process of removing the hood latch when I thought to try something else first. I ended up pulling the Neg on the battery for a minute and closing it softly again. All went well. I do not have the manual yet for my car and wasnt sure if the hoods vacume close by motor like Caddy's trunks.

Thats all....

The other night I could not get my hood to fully latch. I may have closed it too hard in the first place but it would close and catch, but not fully lock down. I was thinking I ****** up my hood latch closing the hood with force. I was in the process of removing the hood latch when I thought to try something else first. I ended up pulling the Neg on the battery for a minute and closing it softly again. All went well. I do not have the manual yet for my car and wasnt sure if the hoods vacume close by motor like Caddy's trunks.

Thats all....

what? who tells you'll this stuff.....no the hood doesnt....and i didnt know caddies trunks do that but\u just have the same problems MOST gs's get ... with the hood latch actually not working very well. mine would work sometimes and sometimes not...just replace the cable its cheap and will fix the problem

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...eplacement.html

Thats all....

what? who tells you'll this stuff.....no the hood doesnt....and i didnt know caddies trunks do that but\u just have the same problems MOST gs's get ... with the hood latch actually not working very well. mine would work sometimes and sometimes not...just replace the cable its cheap and will fix the problem

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...eplacement.html

No one tells me this stuff. I was just standing there at 10pm wondering why the **** my hood would not fully latch. I posted on the forum but I wasnt going to sit waiting for a response. And something about the search option on the forum seems to hate me. I Was just hypothesizing standing there in the street if maybe they were motorized in a way. I do not know about all caddies, but I know a friends Eldorado's trunk "clicks" into place then is vacumed down through some technology. It seemed like a reasonable possibility to me. I was just wondering what went wrong. Ill keep the cable in mind next time. I mean is it really that crazy to conjur up the idea that it could be electric? My hood release lever lost all tension in the car and from what I could see there appears to be a small mechanical mechanisim in the hood latch assembly. And for some reason disconnecting my battery did the trick so I thought it seemed like practical deduction. I really need my manual to come in the mail!!

Thanks for the reply.

Christians have the good book, Lexus owners have LOC!

I mean is it really that crazy to conjur up the idea that it could be electric?

yes......lol. there are no electrical parts to the hood....on any car im aware of (although I'm sure SOME do have some electrical parts)

mine would work when it felt like it....i finally got fed up and changed it. never had a problem since.

Yeah Who knows. Guess having such a fine car I can deal with this latch thing. I will make a note to clean the latch when I clean my engine compartment. I wonder if it was just dumb luck that disconnecting the battery seemed to resolve the issue.

I gotta get some pics up so some of you can give me input on these aftermarket door pannels I have. 3 pods in each front door for speakers w. a Lexus badge (same as on your grill) inserted into the door.

Thats another story tho.

Clean under and around the latcch near the rad. The dirt is causing the prob.

no it isnt....the cable gets kinked/old and stops working....has nothing to do with dirt. most gs's have a problem with this

Yeah Who knows. Guess having such a fine car I can deal with this latch thing. I will make a note to clean the latch when I clean my engine compartment. I wonder if it was just dumb luck that disconnecting the battery seemed to resolve the issue.

I gotta get some pics up so some of you can give me input on these aftermarket door pannels I have. 3 pods in each front door for speakers w. a Lexus badge (same as on your grill) inserted into the door.

Thats another story tho.

it coulda been just that....would love to see the pics

find the cable by the latch and tug on it away from the latch...it helps mine close.

this 2 is still just a temporary solution....u have a problem WITH the cable and eventually even that wont work

Happened again. Its such a pain. I battery trick did not work this time. I let it sit overnight, next morning shut with no problem.

if its such a pain, just replace it or pay someone to replace it. and battery wasnt a trick, it was coincidence.

Happened again. Its such a pain. I battery trick did not work this time. I let it sit overnight, next morning shut with no problem.

if its such a pain, just replace it or pay someone to replace it. and battery wasnt a trick, it was coincidence.

Let me rephrase my prior post then:

"Happened again. Its such a pain. The battery COINCIDENCE did not work this time. I let it sit overnight, next morning it shut without a problem. Because its such a pain I SHOULD PAY SOMEONE TO REPLACE IT, but because I am cheap I wont right now. Ill just avoid opening my hood w. the exception of an engine fire...maybe not then either."

Momma says I learn real good, of course momma used to take me out back and beat me with a rubber hose.

Maybe one day Brian....maybe one day Ill get to the bottom of it. Til then, Im putting my excess funds into replacing the audio in my car B/c driving with all highs is more of a pain than this funky hood latch.

Sometimes I sit and talk to my car....it never seems to go anywhere....anyone else have this problem ?

Let me rephrase my prior post then:

"Happened again. Its such a pain. The battery COINCIDENCE did not work this time. I let it sit overnight, next morning it shut without a problem. Because its such a pain I SHOULD PAY SOMEONE TO REPLACE IT, but because I am cheap I wont right now. Ill just avoid opening my hood w. the exception of an engine fire...maybe not then either."

Momma says I learn real good, of course momma used to take me out back and beat me with a rubber hose.

Maybe one day Brian....maybe one day Ill get to the bottom of it. Til then, Im putting my excess funds into replacing the audio in my car B/c driving with all highs is more of a pain than this funky hood latch.

Sometimes I sit and talk to my car....it never seems to go anywhere....anyone else have this problem ?

hahaha.....i remember those days...i wouldnt open my hood for ANYTHING...

the bottom of it is a crimp in the cable ;)

yeah i hear u on the audio build i got a bout a 6k build im starting...yeah im not kidding. i just bought the Dynamat xtreme Mega Pak

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_..._bulk_paks.html

when it comes in tues im gonna pull ALL my interior before dynamatting whole car and then start the audio build. i think i have ALL of it but 2 pieces i need from the list below...i dont have the dvd player or the alpine hub. im hoping to have my gen 4 nav update and new disc this next week as im updating from a gen 2/3 nav unit to a gen 4 unit

AUDIO UPGRADES IM STARTING NOW(GEN 4 NAV updated unit with 8.1 disc, diamond audio d662's 6.5" front and rear,sc-c1 sirius tuner,kca-sc100 alpine,Alpine VPA-B222 VechicleHub Pro, sirius radio interface, kce-4221 ipod cable, rgb2 peripheral video interface, peswiakjc peripheral steering wheel interface, avdhd audiovox 1/2 din dvd player,ts-sw1241d 12" shallow mount pioneer sub with custom enclosure, eclipse and alpine amps, the trunk,doors,floor,sub shelf to be dynamatted, rear view camera in trunk key hole, 0 gauge wire, stinger distributor block,stinger fuse holder, stinger ring terminals,stinger, ground distribution block, stinger RCA's Front/rear/and sub)

• 4 weeks later...

mine has been doing the exact same thing. I have had to buy a new hood cable because the cable kept coming undone from the latch to release my hood. Now it's great. check that out.